Thick bright pick that doesn’t chirp ?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Sassafras said:
    More of a technique thing than pick material.
    He's emphasised the 'chirp' so that's what we'll all be listening for now.
    I call shenanigans on this cork-sniffing crap.
    Yeah I think so too, I think might be related to pick angling for speed so your not getting a clean attack. Certainly I use ultex and dont notice chirp, even with high gain. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    roberty said:
    I recently went from using Jazz III ultex picks to Jazz III reds after watching the video below, because the chirp was bothering me.

The only problem I'm having is getting used to the wear on the reds compared to the ultex picks.

Bloody hell that guy can play

For electric I use tortex 1mm and throw them out after 5-6 hours

I use jim dunlop 1mm nylons on acoustic cos they sound closer to fingers

For high gain I find picking very close to the bridge on the wound strings pretty much eliminates pick noise 
    Look at that guys pick angle!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited August 2019
    I never realised this was even an issue for some players, but now that I have heard it in that video I can't unhear it

Check out the chirp on this.  It reminds me of having an EMG81 super close so the string smacks it on heavy picking, that's my guess at what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWqSqSTFa4
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    More of a technique thing than pick material.
    He's emphasised the 'chirp' so that's what we'll all be listening for now.
    I call shenanigans on this cork-sniffing crap.

It's a real thing and if you A/B test a bunch of picks some do it more than others
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    I never realised this was even an issue for some players, but now that I have heard it in that video I can't unhear it

Check out the chirp on this.  It reminds me of having an EMG81 super close so the string smacks it on heavy picking, that's my guess at what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWqSqSTFa4
    yip, I never would have even thought about that before, jumps out loudly now.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6829
    edited August 2019
    lysander said:
    I like thick picks

And I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny!

But yeah, Tortex TIIIs are best of all worlds for me.  No idea what a chirp is. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited August 2019
    Sometimes the chirps work in the context of what's played. I think the chirps sound OK in the heavy metal clip posted earlier. Sometimes the chirp just forms part of the sound and human performance, just like string noise.

I don't worry about it live. Under the microscope of recording there are occasional annoying instances where a chirp bothers me because it sounds out of context. If a chirp is particularly bothersome, in a take I want to keep, I'm not averse to suppressing it (cheating ). In the past I've even used a spectral editor (Schwa's Spectro).
    It's not a competition.
  • I bought a bunch of picks including most of the recommendations in this thread ( I don’t even want to know how much I spent on bloody plectrums ! ) and found the tortex jazz iii xl 1.5mm was the best combination of shape, tone and relative  lack of chirp. Not sure if the Tiii are the same or not. 

I slightly preferred the sound of the jazz iii carbon grip, but find it too small.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom