New phone time - iphone 11?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    edited October 2019
    And now the S10 thumbprint can be overridden by simply fitting a cheap plastic screen saver! Apple ftw. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
    Why buy a non 5g phone?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited October 2019
    rze99 said:
    Why buy a non 5g phone?
    I asked the same question earlier. The answer is that 5G coverage is still very patchy outside a few major Uk cities. It’s even worse in the US (if you read some of the reports, 5G coverage even varies hugely between city blocks) which is a target market for a lot of phone providers, so there’s actually not much point manufacturers investing in the new technology at the moment. Next year should be better, so that’s why Apple are holding off. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Danny1969 said:

Apple actually is quite good that even the iPhone 6 can run iOS 12, not sure if it can run iOS 13 though. 
    No, left behind now with uncle betamax and auntie laser disc.
    I’m running OS13 on my 6s. Works fine.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    JezWynd said:
    Danny1969 said:

Apple actually is quite good that even the iPhone 6 can run iOS 12, not sure if it can run iOS 13 though. 
    I had a 6, so 6s is the next one getting the chop.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    JezWynd said:
    Danny1969 said:

6s can, 6 doesn’t.   My wife’s 6s was noticeably quicker than my old 6.  But it had double the RAM and a much quicker processor.
    rze99 said:
    Why buy a non 5g phone?
    Because there is little to no 5g network and 4g speeds are fast enough to stream whatever you’d possibly want to.  I think it will be 5 years before it’s worth having 5g.   Operators will chuck up a few sites to lay claim to the network capability but it will be isolated areas.  As coverages increases it will be unoptimised mess, as they race for coverage claims rather than network stability.

Question is, why buy a 5g phone at the moment?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited October 2019
    I’m told a new SE2 is on its way. It’ll look like the 8 with Touch ID and have the chip from the 11. Single camera and should be £399. 
    I have an 8 and will hold off to get the SE2 purely for the Touch ID and newer chip. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    grungebob said:
    I’m told a bed SE2 is on its way. It’ll look like the 8 with Touch ID and have the chip from the 11. Single camera and should be £399. 
    I have an 8 and will hold off to get the SE2 purely for the Touch ID and newer chip. 
    That sounds perfect for upgrading to from my 6s

Fingers crossed
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    JezWynd said:
    Danny1969 said:

I had a 6, so 6s is the next one getting the chop.
    Damn! I only recently got the 6s as an upgrade from a 5s. I hope they don't decide to discontinue it too soon, it's a good phone, plenty quick enough for my needs.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Just upgraded my 7 yesterday which i have had for 2 years, and the battery is struggling a bit now, to the new 11 which arrives today, will let you know what i think of the whole face unlock thing 

I’ve had my 11 a few weeks now, no issues with the unlocking.  Occasionally have to put the code in, which was also the case with my 6.

looking forward to the deep fusion camera upgrade when ios 13.2 comes out.   The camera is excellent as it is but I’m intrigued as to what the deep fusion thing adds.  It’s like the next level of HDR I believe.

Currently in Edinburgh and the ultra wide angle lens is great for street shots.  Night mode is unbelievable, it can let so much light in, but without blurring when hand held.  The images come out better than my DSLR with a tripod in some cases.
    Still want a Fuji mirrorless though, it’s still a phone camera, after all.