Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Am I cutting my nose off to spite my face?

What's Hot
Sometimes in the mornings when I watch my daughter before dropping her off at the childminders, sometimes she'll say "I want pancake, sausage, eggs, beans!!!" when I ask her what she wants for breakfast.

This basically means she wants to go over to the local cafe and have a full English with me. Which I occasionally will indulge in.

I only do it for me. I fucking love it.

But she says she wants to do it, but then she wont put her shoes on, or her clothes, or let me comb her hair, or otherwise get her ready for going out of the house.

So I've taken to saying that we can't go, we ran out of time, even though realistically we've got all the time in the world.

I'm trying to teach her a lesson, but I also really miss eating the porkie produce. Am I self-harming?

Bye!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    Kids are like that, and she may only want a fry up because she knows you like them.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like she's the one teaching you a lesson! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    She’s quite small, isn’t she? So realistically the only lesson she’s learning is that she asked for something and you refused.

So quit the self-harming, go take her out for breakfast and enjoy eating Peppa Pig and being super dad. God knows she’ll hate your company soon enough :) (if my experience is anything to go by).
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Spend as much time as possible doing fun things you enjoy with your daughter while you can she wont be little for very long. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Adam_MD said:
    Spend as much time as possible doing fun things you enjoy with your daughter while you can she wont be little for very long
    Indeed! And certainly not if she’s munching her way through full English Breakfasts.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Teaching kids that if they don't get ready in time and be punctual is important, and if they aren't ready then then they don't get to do the nice things.

However having fun is also important, it's a balance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

Most kids that age are asking for a McDonald's Happy Meal, so be happy she's after the much tastier option. You're kids got good taste.  :)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Missing out on greasy food won't do you much harm.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12317
    You bloody London lot popping out of your own kitchen to buy breakfast, oh how the other half live!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mart said:
    God knows she’ll hate your company soon enough :) (if my experience is anything to go by)
    Do you say that because you have met him?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Just go and have your full English breakfast after you've dropped her off, she'll never know ;).

But seriously - yes, if you can encourage her to get ready on time by giving her a treat then I would try to make it that way round, rather than being Bad Dad and saying no because she didn't... if you see what I mean :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27496
     Am I self-harming?
    Cutting off your own nose potentially falls into the category of "self harming".

Unless it's a particularly horrible nose, in which case you're just saving the  plastic surgery cost and that'd be a good thing.

Use a clean knife though.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited September 2019
    robgilmo said:
    Kids are like that, and she may only want a fry up because she knows you like them.
    This. My time raising a small female human suggests that it's actually the experience of going out and spending time with just you in a non-home setting that she's trying to get to, not necessarily the fry-up itself.

Why not make it a regular thing, say...if she gets ready every morning without fuss, you'll take her out for breakfast every Friday? Then, if she starts to get awkward in the mornings, just a gentle reminder about what happens if she doesn't might relieve all of the hassle without the demands.

Positive training for kids D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Getting them up and dressed can be a nightmare.  Even when they are old enough to dress themselves, that doesn't mean they do.  I quite often have to tell mine multiple times (at 11 and 7).
  • “But she says she wants to do it, but then she wont put her shoes on, or her clothes, or let me comb her hair, or otherwise get her ready for going out of the house”

Mate I have 2 daughters, and if you’re not planning to have another fry up, until she does all of the above, you’re going to be a hungry boy!  :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Do you really want your daughter to grow into a big fat blob?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • :lol: 

Bye!

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12317
    Personally I’d send her to school or whatever with a smacked arse and no breakfast, never did me any harm
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Personally I’d send her to school or whatever with a smacked arse and no breakfast, never did me any harm
    It did. Coz now you're on the internets using sweary words.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Do people know the Evelyn Waugh banana story?
    During the second world war, Evelyn Waugh's wife managed to procure three bananas for their children. When she brought the fruit home, Evelyn sat down in front of the children, peeled the bananas, poured on cream and sugar, and ate them all. "It would be absurd to say that I never forgave him," wrote Waugh's son Auberon many years later, in his autobiography, Will This Do? (1991), "but he was permanently marked down in my estimation from that moment."

Apparently Evelyn himself was the subject of derision and exclusion by his own father who much preferred Evelyn's brother Alec- enough that whenever Evelyn expressed a desire for something (a toy or a bike) his father would purchase it for Alec. This could be a myth, but it was an often repeated one.