Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sand blasted PRS

What's Hot

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    I also remember when Fender done this.
    I loved how they looked in photos, but when I seen one in the flesh, I just thought it looked like plastic and artificial. I think it was because all the wood was either black or blue/red, with no natural colour showing through.
    It's one of the few times I thought a finish would have looked far better with some relicing to let some of the natural wood show through, and make it look less artificial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not my thing....can see why some like it but I don't think it looks right on a PRS.
  • axisus said:
    Not for me.
    +1  :#
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231
    edited September 2019
    I think they look great in the photos, but like m_c said above, I still remember the disappointment the first time I saw a Gibson Voodoo Les Paul for real... it really didn't look like real wood at all 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    blue or the black one are killer

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:

grungebob said:
    I think they look ok and being swamp ash they should give a different tone to the usual CU22’s. 

pretty sure the body is still mahogany. just the top is swamp.

Yup, bit of a missed opportunity there really but still a cool run none-the-less. I'd quite like the black/grey ("Frozen Charcoal") one as a CU24, or maybe the CU22 if it's a stoptail model. I've not tried any of the latest generation of SEs but these are different enough to actually tempt me for once!
  • Lovely!

Fender did a great red / black P bass like these. Always wanted one.
  • They look interesting but I guess that you’d need to see the actual one you’re buying as no two will look alike. I wonder what the surface  texture is like.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    sgosden said:

pretty sure the body is still mahogany. just the top is swamp.

Ah well. That kills any slight interest I had in it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6977
    Genuinely looks like a Harley Benton range. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited September 2019
    Looks like they copied the awful mayones sand blasted range

Looks like kids scribble imo 

Garish colours & black hardware will be a winner with a the metal nerds tho
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    MLten80 said:

Garish colours & black hardware will be a winner with a the metal nerds tho
    That’s why I still slightly like the blue one. Perfect for a blues band.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think they look great in the photos, but like m_c said above, I still remember the disappointment the first time I saw a Gibson Voodoo Les Paul for real... it really didn't look like real wood at all 
    Have you seen how much the les paul voodoo is bei g sold for recently £1500...... Madness 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23532
    I really wanted a Voodoo SG at the time, but that stupid red skull inlay put me off.  Having seen some of them in subsequent years, the finish seems to wear off really easily, but I shouldn't think that will be the case with these PRS models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hate them. looks cheap and tacky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like them, wish they were the 22 fret models though 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231
    edited September 2019
    I think they look great in the photos, but like m_c said above, I still remember the disappointment the first time I saw a Gibson Voodoo Les Paul for real... it really didn't look like real wood at all 
    Have you seen how much the les paul voodoo is bei g sold for recently £1500...... Madness 
    Yeah they're not cheap, and they don't come up for sale often either...

Philly_Q said:
    I really wanted a Voodoo SG at the time, but that stupid red skull inlay put me off.  Having seen some of them in subsequent years, the finish seems to wear off really easily, but I shouldn't think that will be the case with these PRS models.
    I liked the skull inlay. Have you seen the Menace SG? It has a 'tattoo-style' headstock logo and a knuckle duster inlay :lol:

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23532
    Philly_Q said:
    I liked the skull inlay. Have you seen the Menace SG? It has a 'tattoo-style' headstock logo and a knuckle duster inlay :lol:
    Yes.  There was no temptation at all to buy that one.... wasn't there also a model with an ebony board and crescent inlays?  I could've lived with that.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Yes.  There was no temptation at all to buy that one.... wasn't there also a model with an ebony board and crescent inlays?  I could've lived with that.
    Was that the Gothic? I had an Epiphone Gothic Explorer, was a really nice guitar but it was so neck heavy it used to hurt my arm after about half an hour of playing standing up!

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom