Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Straty Gibson style guitar

What's Hot
Hi all,

I've come to the realisation that ergonomically LP's suit me better than Strats. I like the shorter scale length, neck angle, carved top and bridge position/height. What I miss however is three single coils..

Does anyone know of a guitar that straddles the divide? I know the only thing that sounds like a Strat is a Strat but I'd be prepared to compromise..

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    PRS - as a compromise ?  509 looks very versatile ?   or the DGT with arguably the best coil taps on a HB guitar ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @JMP220478 ;

Shame the 509 has a slightly longer scale length...

Si
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 215
    What about P90's?

Two examples...

Gibson Gary Clark Jr SG.

Asher Marc Ford signature

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Oooo, I like that Asher guitar.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11468
    I think Warmoth do conversion necks for a shorter scale, but that won't change the neck angle if that's an issue for you.

Book yourself on a Crimson course and build yourself one?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2304
    Yes the SG with P90s will get you most of the way there.  

I have a couple of les Paul’s with P90s and the neck pickup especially can do a quasi Strat sound with the volume pulled back a little. Needs 50s wiring/treble bleed. The Brick In the Wall solo was famously a Les Paul with P90s. Not a Strat. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    That's exactly why I'm making a telepaul to satisfy myself with some fender tones, i like LP body shapes set necks and the shorter scale, hot tele bridge staple p90 neck is what I'm going for, alder body flame maple neck

If i was going more strat I'd stick a split coil humbucker in the bridge and 2 60's strat pickups in it, I'd also have a volume on the bridge with a volume controlling the middle and neck, same as tones
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    PRS 305? I have one (I bought it instead of a CS Strat - genuinely *that* good). It still has the Fender scale length but the body shape is more Gibson than Fullerton. The difficulty may be finding one that isn't expensive...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    edited October 2019
    Gibson S-1
  • Part of my quest to satisfy Fender tones (without buying a Fender) was to fit single coils into a Gibson style build. These pickups are single coils built into humbucker housings. I had them specced as trad Fender strat PUs.

But (and its a big but), it still doesn't sound anything like a Fender. It sounds good, but the experiment failed nevertheless.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 862
    edited October 2019
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11468
    Might be difficult to find, but PRS did a Custom 22 Soapbar around 15 to 20 years ago.  It's long since discontinued, but might be worth a look if you can find one:

• Dont suhr do a strat with a gibson scale length?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23047
  • It’s the pitched back neck that’s the tricky bit. I suppose you could get a conversion strat neck and get a luthier to modify the neck pocket? 
  • In the 1990s Gibson did a les Paul with hsh pickups to try and do the strat tones. I think iGibson called it M3 electronics. Dunno if it’ was any good or not, but thought I’d put it out there.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    In the 1990s Gibson did a les Paul with hsh pickups to try and do the strat tones. I think iGibson called it M3 electronics. Dunno if it’ was any good or not, but thought I’d put it out there.
    Yes it was the Studio Lite M-III
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18941
    One brand that is usually under the radar, is Godin.
    The SD 22 & 24 (fret) are a strat/LP hybrid, with Gibson scale, HSS (splittable/tappable HB) and a really nice neck.
    A quality instrument at a ridiculously low price point. 
    Worth a look  ;)

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Check the non-reverse firebird thread. Those are in every way the midpoint between fender and solidbody gibsons
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6397
    Gibson MIII ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom