Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NPD - Bring out your DOD!

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Recently acquired a FX50B Overdrive from the forum which was surprisingly nice. That lead me to picking up a mint FX25B Envelope Filter off Gumtree, then a FX90 Analogue Delay from a shop in Chichester and a FX75-B Flanger online. The lot cost me well under £150.

I really like the delay, lovely dark repeats nothing complicated. The overdrive is fabulous, slightly fuzzy / fuzzy but also distinctive and pairs well with a transparent overdrive in front. The envelope filter works brilliantly, super easy and fun to dial in and the Flanger is lovely, does all sorts plus a very nice chorus effect. 

On the look out for other DOD pedals from back in the day, who else is a fan?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have an old Bi-Fet Boost somewhere which sounds really good.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I have an old Bi-Fet Boost somewhere which sounds really good.
    Nearly snagged one the other day for a few peanuts but just missed it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice haul!

I'm after an FX747 Supersonic Stereo Flanger.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    FX53 'Classic tube'
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited October 2019
    Love DOD pedals, esp the original series, 201, 250, 280 etc. Have just picked up a mint FX20C Stereo Phaser, one of the lushest, most liquid phase sounds I've ever heard.

Also recently picked up a Milk Box compressor, one that I'd heard about but never owned. It doesn't disappoint, lots of clicky attack and incredible long sustain with a hint of fuzz when it's maxed out.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    Love DOD pedals, esp the original series, 201, 250, 280 etc. Have just picked up a mint FX20C Stereo Phaser, one of the lushest, most liquid phase sounds I've ever heard.

Also recently picked up a Milk Box compressor, one that I'd heard about but never owned. It doesn't disappoint, lots of clicky attack and incredible long sustain with a hint of fuzz when it's maxed out.
    Oh, very nice! I've got the reissue Phasor 201 which is good but the controls on this look great. 
  • I recently got rid of my DOD compressor and overdrive plus, both to people on this thread, I deliberately only gave them a 10 second test when selling as i knew I'd want to keep them.
    I love the DOD stuff and think it punches well above its weight, the overdrive plus is particularly good, a homemade one is on my DIY list.

The stereo chorus gets a lot of love, but if I ever see the big box digital delay for a good price I'm having it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The FX 50B is underrated. There's a setting on the drive knob just before it gets into the boost function that is surprisingly good and raunchy.
    Sassafras said:
    The FX 50B is underrated. There's a setting on the drive knob just before it gets into the boost function that is surprisingly good and raunchy.
    That's exactly where I've set it, it's a great sound.
    Thanks @Shark_Eyes it's a lovely thing! 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Nice! I'm a big fan of the old DODs. The new ones aren't bad either. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Here’s my DOD GRUNGE FX69, bought from Mid Wales Music Centre circa 1995 for around £90. Yes I was a young Nirvana fan who fell for the marketing. Stupidly extreme gain. Loud, Butt, Face and Grunge controls. Never use it but has sentimental value and was used in my first gig (I still pity the audience!). The instructions are quite entertaining “so nasty and heavy it’ll have your band-mates screaming for mercy!”. Indeed!

The full set, still adorned with kerrang stickers: 
    https://i.imgur.com/xLG2csU.jpg

What it does:
    https://i.imgur.com/PlvWgrg.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    In the early part of this century, I had an FX33 Buzz Box. It generated some seriously sick sounds. I eventually sold it. Were it not for a thread like this, I would not miss the effect at all.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    joetele said:
    I think the reissues of 201, 250, 280 and 440 are better than the originals. Certainly more user friendly with led, 2.1mm power, but the sound and sweep of pots is also improved, most noticeably on the 250. The original gray box 201 was my first effect pedal when it was released and the reissue is quieter (less bg noise) and cleaner sounding. The 440 is just different in the reissue, the quack is less accentuated (but then the original when I had it was probably 20 years old, so component drift might be a factor there).

• JezWynd said:
    joetele said:
    I think the reissues of 201, 250, 280 and 440 are better than the originals. Certainly more user friendly with led, 2.1mm power, but the sound and sweep of pots is also improved, most noticeably on the 250. The original gray box 201 was my first effect pedal when it was released and the reissue is quieter (less bg noise) and cleaner sounding. The 440 is just different in the reissue, the quack is less accentuated (but then the original when I had it was probably 20 years old, so component drift might be a factor there).

I've not used the reissues but I've had a original 280 compressor for just under 20 years and it's been one of my most used pedals in the time. The lack of a LED is a bit of PITA though. 
    I recently got rid of my DOD compressor and overdrive plus, both to people on this thread, I deliberately only gave them a 10 second test when selling as i knew I'd want to keep them.
    I love the DOD stuff and think it punches well above its weight, the overdrive plus is particularly good, a homemade one is on my DIY list.

The stereo chorus gets a lot of love, but if I ever see the big box digital delay for a good price I'm having it.
    One of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digitech-PDS-1002-Delay-Pedal-Vintage-USA/123929726666

Thanks for the Milk Box!
    Anyone used a DOD Chorus? I think the FX60 or 65 gets some rave reviews. The Vibrothang also looks interesting.

Was reading some old threads and it appears that @ThorpyFX used to buy cheap FX90 Delays to rob the chips which, frankly is just vandalism. I like the warm dark repeats on it, he clearly didn't rate them!  :o
  • @JezWynd exactly that! Going to have to keep an eye on that, thank you.

The vibrothang is supposed to be great but I've never seen one.
  • I’ve had the vibrothang twice, it’s ok but nothing to write home about, for me anyway. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    edited October 2019
    I've had this DOD FX80-B compressor since I don't know when  -  it seems like forever. I really like the way it compresses with none of the unpleasant 'thk' of the Boss compressor I had for a short while before it. It got replaced on my main board by a Wampler Ego two or three years ago, not because the Wampler has better quality compression but just because its Blend control gives a little more flexibility. However the DOD still has its place on my small Metro home board.

Oops the image has disappeared. Try again......

Edit: I should mention that these old DODs require a reverse-polarity mini jack power connection which is a bit tedious but I made up a few leads years ago. It runs for quite a while on battery power if the leads are forgotten or misplaced.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:
    Anyone used a DOD Chorus? I think the FX60 or 65 gets some rave reviews. The Vibrothang also looks interesting.

Was reading some old threads and it appears that @ThorpyFX used to buy cheap FX90 Delays to rob the chips which, frankly is just vandalism. I like the warm dark repeats on it, he clearly didn't rate them!  :o
    I did indeed, and it was a glorious mine of availability for the mn3005 chips
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com