Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most versatile guitar for pub rock covers band?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9692
    edited October 2019
    PC_Dave said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Yamaha 611 would be very versatile, and not irreplaceable should you decide to belt the bassist/singer with it
    That is exactly my thought process. They don't seem to come up s/h too often.

Wasn't sure whether to look at the 611 with the P90, or the 612 SSH...
    I own a 611 and am well pleased with it. Covers a lot of bases and has a noticeably fuller fatter sound than my Strat. (Strat is still my go-to though.)

Here's my review...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/150669/yamaha-pacifica-611hfm#latest

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

How can you front a classic rock band and have a hatred for Strats! Don't get it.

I used to be in a band where the drummer hated the sound of my Rickenbacker, every rehearsal session he made a point of mentioning he didn't like the tone of the bass in certain songs, but the rest of the band seemed happy enough with it. After being in the band for a few months I bought a Fender Jazz bass and I told the drummer about it - and just to piss him off I never once brought it to a rehearsal or a gig, just carried on with the Ric.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1485
    Get a Flying V just to piss him off.  It will actually cover most of the songs you have there, and even Hendrix played one!

Seriously though, if you are looking at tele's, then thbe the most versatile: https://reverb.com/item/6426624-squier-vintage-modified-telecaster-ssh-olympic-white-preowned
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11940
    Fender VG strat
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 864
    I play that kind of stuff in my band and usually go for a HSS strat, which I`m most comfortable with.

Played with the same band and the same set and taken a tele (roadworn with a neck humbucker in my case) and done the whole gig on the tele bridge single coil. Sounds different but works just aswell with slight tweaking of amp and pedals. 

Enjoy!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Fender Player Series HH Tele. Nice to play and coil tapped 'buckers to approximate the Tele SS sound if required. Strat-style belly cut on the back. Really good value for around £500.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I just got a G&L Doheny V12 which is a swiss army knife, and gorgeous. series, parallel and single coil on neck and bridge. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    I sold this to Andy, its got great quality bits and is versatile for this sort of thing.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164384/fs-ft-partscaster-telecaster-usa-body-price-drop-500#latest
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    munckee said:
    I sold this to Andy, its got great quality bits and is versatile for this sort of thing.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164384/fs-ft-partscaster-telecaster-usa-body-price-drop-500#latest
    That does look good.....! What's the humbucker like? I've been spoiled by the Thornbuckers.....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    These are awesome, if my house burned down I'd just buy one to get back on the road. 

Ibanez AR420-VLS Violin Sunburst https://g.co/kgs/P3QjDQ
  • As it's probably already been said. If the bass player is dictating what guitar you use then I can't see it being much fun at all. I often play my strat in the covers band im in and it's great. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30297
    I can understand what the bassist means. I mean we all remember how rubbish Hendrix sounded in a 3 piece band with his puny, weak arse Stratocaster.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    As it's probably already been said. If the bass player is dictating what guitar you use then I can't see it being much fun at all. I often play my strat in the covers band im in and it's great. 
    Yep, and as i've said, it's a stepping stone... 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I agreed with the Yamaha 611 idea as it was a means to an end without spending silly money (personally I get the HB/P90 version).

But any of the £500 or so suggestions would be good alternatives.
    Ibanez RG/S5/AS (AS73 for semiacoustic goodness)
    PRS SE (singlecut or ordinary)
    Tele
    Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Offset Tele

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    If it's just the fact that he wants humbucker tones, you can replace your strat bridge pickup with a hot rails, and everyone's happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    PC_Dave said:
    munckee said:

That does look good.....! What's the humbucker like? I've been spoiled by the Thornbuckers.....
    I had a filtertron in it before the cheeky bleeder changed for a humbucker. I would have gone HB but I have a 335 with SD Vintage Blues in which satisfies my HB needs. 
  • PC_Dave said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Bowks said:
    Charvel DK24 should be good for this gig.
    Looking.....

Out of sheer bloody-mindedness I'd be looking for a San Dimas or SoCal style 1, which are basically hot-rodded Strats. When he complained, I'd point at the headstock and say "But it's not a Strat"
    Yeah, that was my thoughts. I can see where he is coming from - it's a 3 piece band and he wants the guitar to sound as big as possible.

I don't like 24 fret guitars though....
    The San Dimas and SoCal are only 22 fret. It's the new DK range that have 24 frets
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    After I saw Bonamassa playing his nocaster, which did everything, I built a replica, so it is basically the same thing as Keefs, or Andy Summers custom, not much you cant do with that setup. For my own (punk) gig I use a walnut bodied esquire, with a dimarzio tonezone. I think it looks pretty cool, black with white pickguard, maple neck and single pickup, single knob, no tone, very simple but I wouldn't hesitate to use it in self defence and it can do all sorts of metal / hard rock sounds, not really tele like at all.
    Probably cost about £350 to put together, and theres a guy selling a few right now at that price on here, all well worth a punt.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    Ibanez Jem, a proper Swiss Army knife of a guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom