Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most versatile guitar for pub rock covers band?

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Trude said:
    To be honest, I can't believe you're contemplating buying a guitar, just to get into this guy's good books.
    Fair enough if he expresses a preference for one of the guitars you already own, but if he wants Les Paul sounds he should bloody well stump up and buy one for you to play! Then he can pass it on to the next victim once you've left for better things...
    Please re-read my original post. I have the best guitar for the job, a Suhr Alt T Pro, but unfortunately I’m having to sell it to free up some cash, so I need to replace it with something that isn’t going to break the bank, but covers all the bases needed.... no pun intended. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    TBH I'd be looking to replace the bass player not the guitar. Sounds like a right dick and the guitar choice is the least of the problems. I'd tell him to shove it and find something better.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Get a Hello Kitty strat with something like a Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb in it.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited October 2019
    Schecter PT would do the job and look much cooler than a Fender :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jim-BobJim-Bob Frets: 15
    Good thread this... A technical challenge cos the answer (as you say is SSS or SSH Strato-type)....

What about your amp? Did I miss if you said already? but a really important question is: "Dave, what amp have you got?"  Pairing the new guitar to the existing amp is a real consideration if you don't want to buy a new amp and some gel better than others. 

You might consider a Gibson SG standard -.they rock soooo hard and are super playable it's  less obvious than an Les Paul but they do everything that a Les Paul can do at a better price and the "standard" is not a budget instrument. I am a recent convert to the SG and I found that there are some really great deals on them... especially second hand ones.  There was a great black one in the classifieds the other day... I think it's cone now but something similar will be along soon.  

Second hand Gretsch Electromatics are cool and excellent value if you are happy gigging on a single guitar with a bigsby (slow to re-string).   However if you are doing loads of soloing and have to do it "like the record" you may find upper fret access a problem.

As for the weirdness of the the chap saying what instrument you can and can't play at least he cares enough to run a band and have an opinion...  If (when!) it gets too annoying at least you are out there gigging in a band and are more likely to find people more like minded!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Jim-Bob said:
    Good thread this... A technical challenge cos the answer (as you say is SSS or SSH Strato-type)....

What about your amp? Did I miss if you said already? but a really important question is: "Dave, what amp have you got?"  Pairing the new guitar to the existing amp is a real consideration if you don't want to buy a new amp and some gel better than others. 

You might consider a Gibson SG standard -.they rock soooo hard and are super playable it's  less obvious than an Les Paul but they do everything that a Les Paul can do at a better price and the "standard" is not a budget instrument. I am a recent convert to the SG and I found that there are some really great deals on them... especially second hand ones.  There was a great black one in the classifieds the other day... I think it's cone now but something similar will be along soon.  

Second hand Gretsch Electromatics are cool and excellent value if you are happy gigging on a single guitar with a bigsby (slow to re-string).   However if you are doing loads of soloing and have to do it "like the record" you may find upper fret access a problem.

As for the weirdness of the the chap saying what instrument you can and can't play at least he cares enough to run a band and have an opinion...  If (when!) it gets too annoying at least you are out there gigging in a band and are more likely to find people more like minded!
    I wouldn’t worry about the amp too much, that’ll be changing in due course. It makes the right noises at the right times.

I can’t do anything Gibson/Epiphone. I have never liked any of the ones I’ve tried over the years, just too much of a Fender Fanboy I’m afraid.

You’re quite right in the last point though - this is about getting out and about, playing music I wouldn’t ordinarily choose to, getting more experience and meeting some more... how shall I put it... professional musicians.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    The demented band leader will probably object to anything with asymmetric cutaways and any single coil pickups -including the Yamaha Pacifica 611.

Perhaps, he detests the hum and interference associated with traditional Fender pickups? Perhaps, he has tinnitus and abhors high frequencies? Frankly, who cares?

My recommendation is the old Gittler model that resembled a television aerial. That would insert a lot more easily than it could be extracted. ;) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    edited October 2019
    The obvious answer is a PRS Silver Sky. I mean, it's not a Strat is it? 

Failing that, get a Tele. Either something with single coils but a bit of beef (Oil City Whapping Wharf is ace), or a Tele with humbuckers like the Blacktop or Player HH (and a switch to split them.).

Job done. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    PC_Dave said:
    What a people's thoughts on this?
    1) The demented band leader should explain his objections to Stratocasters.

2) Any band leader who wishes to dictate what make/model of instrument band members play should either furnish that instrument or pay well enough that the musician can afford the specified gear.

3) Any band member who tolerates such nonsense and is not handsomely remunerated is as demented as the band leader.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Whilst I fully agree that your band leader is a bit of a nob, if you really feel you must buy a new guitar, I have a very nice Schecter California Custom that I'm thinking of moving on.

It's H/S/S and the single coils are stacked. All pickups are splitable, the bridge hb on a push pull and the sc's with a switch. Wilkinson trem, locking Sperzels and, best of all, it's Strat shaped!

Message me for details of you're interested.
  • warlock
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    The obvious answer is a PRS Silver Sky. I mean, it's not a Strat is it? 

Failing that, get a Tele. Either something with single coils but a bit of beef (Oil City Whapping Wharf is ace), or a Tele with humbuckers like the Blacktop or Player HH (and a switch to split them.).

Job done. 
    Just saw JM at the 02 tonight and I’d have to agree. Top 3 live guitar tones I’ve heard, mabye even the best. Able to sound like Humbuckers, single coils or anything in between.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10256
    edited October 2019
    TTBZ said:
    Schecter PT would do the job and look much cooler than a Fender
    I’ve never seen a Schecter that looks cooler than a Telecaster made by Fender. Or any guitar for that matter. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    being an arse about certain gear is not ideal but if its his band and youre a hired hand then you accept the gig with the constraints or find another gig ...  if the gig warrants additional kit then find the compromise ..

If the band has a well established sound ie a Les Paul / Marshall etc - then as alternatives to the LP but giving you a 25.5 scale length etc - try an MM Axis  - the Sport most versatile or floyd for the Eddie stuff - alternative an N4 - Nuno could never be accused of having a thin sound ...  the MM's have superlative build quality and you might get an N4partsacaster at a decent price ..   A JP6 might work too ... 

Forget the crap - get the gig - all this strat stuff will be forgotten if you're enjoying playing n stage time ... good luck 

• Ibanez S series 22 frets 
      sterling by music man sub ax  (the one that looks like an axis) 22 frets 

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3662
    Iamnobody said:
    Definitely a telecaster so you can twat the cunt round the head with it when the time is right.  =)
    Maybe the aversion to Stratocasters arose after the previous guitarist belted said bass player with his after being told which amp to use?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    A Strat (or super-Strat) with a bridge humbucker.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987
    edited October 2019
    prowla said:
    A Strat (or super-Strat) with a bridge humbucker.
    Go back to page 1, post 1.  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect £200.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited October 2019
    TTBZ said:
    Schecter PT would do the job and look much cooler than a Fender
    I’ve never seen a Schecter that looks cooler than a Telecaster made by Fender. Or any guitar for that matter.
    Maybe cool was the wrong word. Interesting might be more what I was going for. Fenders are as dull as it gets for me. I like the less traditional ones such as the Jim Roots etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    What about a Cort G series - pretty versatile, upper end ones are really grood but won't break the bank. They are the "stratesq but not a strat.. Think many of them have coil splitting options to so you can play a sneaky single coil if you want without the bassist realising.. :)

The new G290's are very pretty... The G200's are pretty cheap put very servicable if you just want something to play.. 
    Couple of B-stock options on Thomann atm too..