Going up or down in string gauges? Now general string adventures

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Philtre said:
    Anything less than 11's on a Strat and you're a WIMP. The tone is so much better.
    Cain, is that you?

Wow you must have a very guitar based real life if you have a friend who's named after a guitar pedal and sends you photos of string gauges
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4173
    edited October 2019
    thegummy said:

Wow you must have a very guitar based real life if you have a friend who's named after a guitar pedal and sends you photos of string gauges
    Haha! His real name is Cain, but his nickname is Super Overdrive as it's his favourite OD pedal (although I think I'm the only person in his life who calls him that). I have a lot of people stored in my phone by their nicknames. My favourite being 'Rotating Wobbly Hat' lol 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:

Haha! His real name is Cain, but his nickname is Super Overdrive as it's his favourite OD pedal. I have a lot of people stored in my phone by their nicknames. My favourite being 'Rotating Wobbly Hat' :lol: 
    Never tried that pedal, is it a Leslie sim?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I stepped down from 10s on my Les Paul & flying V style guitars to 9-46 (hybrid set) as I was just not enjoying playing the treble strings from the 10s (should practice more)

However I found that if I tuned down a half step to play tunes by bands that tune like that the 9-46 was too sloppy, yet the alternative that was available of 10-52 was a bit much, so I cooked up a set that was half a set of 10s and half a set of our 11s and found they worked a treat.  Impressed enough to make it part of our string line 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I played standard 10 gauge for around 8 years this was predominantly on hardtail guitars. Then in August this year I picked up a Charvel Pro Mod with Floyd that came with 9's on. I haven't felt any need to change them so I guess I play 9 gauge now :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Right, I have ordered the only set of 10-38s that will get here tomorrow just to test it out - GHS Boomers. 

Will report back. Currently got a new set of Pyramid 10-48s on so expecting a major change. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Could someone put these in order from slackest to tightest?
    • Strat with 10s tuned to E
    • Strat with 10s tuned to Eb
    • Strat with 9s tuned to E
    • Les Paul with 10s tuned to E
    Also, which of the 2 would be closest in slackness?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    9.5’s on Strats/Suhr/Anderson
    10.5’s on Tele/Jazzmaster/Les Paul
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    I find 9s completely unplayable, but can happily switch between 10s and 11s. 

Actually if tuning down a half step, I'd definitely go for 11s. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    thegummy said:
    Hard to say precisely because the ‘tightness’ can be affected by the string brand, and various factors with the guitar and even the setup, for a given true string tension, but -

Obviously the Strat with 10s in E will be the tightest. The other three will be more similar, but the way I feel it, the Strat with 9s in E will be the loosest and feel the most different - but this is partly because the B in a standard set of 9s is too light, and I tend to feel that most when I bend. The Strat in Eb and the Les Paul in E will probably be the closest to each other. But you would have to try it with the same brands of strings on all of them to be sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    edited October 2019
    thegummy said:
    I'd say 9's , 10's e flat  , LP 10's  , Strat 10's :)
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Have always played 10s but after a long break and only just coming back, I’ve overdone it and blistered two fingertips to fuck bending 10s. 

I’ve ordered some Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky which I think are 9-46 so it’ll be interesting to see if I notice any difference on bending. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    thegummy said:
    @thegummy You can do it yourself or outsource it to someone bored on here lazyweb stylee with this: http://stringtensionpro.com/
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I keep alternating between 11-49 and 10-52... still not sure which I prefer TBH.
    go 11-52?

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I went down to 8's on my Strat a while back and opened up a whole new experience.
    My 10-38s arrived but just as they did I dialled in the greatest tone on my strat/marshall/fuzz face/vibe I have ever had and I'm loathe to change anything while it still sounds glorious. 

Will do it soon once my kid changes all the settings.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DLM said:
    thegummy said:
    Could someone put these in order from slackest to tightest? : 
    @thegummy You can do it yourself or outsource it to someone bored on here lazyweb stylee with this: http://stringtensionpro.com/
    I was just being lazy hoping that someone already knew the answer but I've done the comparisons using that website and here are the results, in order from slackest (Strat with 9's E Standard) to tightest (Strat with 10's E Standard):

So the closest in feel are the Strat with 10s tuned to Eb and the LP with 10s tuned to Standard.

Was kind of expecting that really, I've tuned one of my Strats down to Eb and it does feel more like a LP in the way that bending feels a lot nicer but it also doesn't feel too light and flimsy and easy to play out of tune like I remember when I last tried 9's on a Strat.
    edited October 2019
    Right. Had to stay up late last night so changed the strings. 10-38s. 

These are the gauges. No problem with bending to correct pitch. Definitely faster and I've been experimenting with medium gauge picks which seem to work very well with them. Tonally maybe it doesn't have the girth in the low end if you're chugging on the E-string but the sweet brightness and snap is a valid thing all on its own. 

I've been enjoying being tuned to Eb, at which point the g-string and the a-strings are really getting a bit flappy. Usable but a smidge more tension would improve things. 

I think a custom set of 

26w
    34w
    42-44w

Could work. 

Right so I've now put some Curt Mangan 10-46s on 

Sound lovely but I think I prefer the lower tension of the equivalent Pyramid Classic Nickel sets. If they did a 10-44 set I think might be the perfect middle ground.