The Clapton 'Beano' Les Paul

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
in Guitar tFB Trader
Just been watching the EC Life in 12 bars film - So we are at 1966 and you can see EC playing the Beano LP with the white bobbins in the neck position and zebra bobbins in the bridge position - A few months later there is a clip of him, now with Cream playing a 'similar' Burst LP but not with black bobbins in both positions - So is the same guitar before it was stolen, but changed pick-ups, or a different LP ????

Also it was always assumed the Beano LP had white bobbins in the neck position and black bobbins in the bridge position - This clip in Life in 12 Bars contradicts those thoughts with the zebra in the bridge position ????????????????
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    There are also rumours that the Beano LP has resurfaced 
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Didn't he borrow Keith Richards 59 for a while?, although i seem to think that may have had a bigsby
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    I like the word ‘Bobbins’... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    adampeter said:
    Didn't he borrow Keith Richards 59 for a while?, although i seem to think that may have had a bigsby
    He did after the Beano was stolen.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    tone1 said:
    I think in some north west english (specifically manchester) vernacular it means poppycock / nonsense / shite.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I was an avid listener of Mark & Lard  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tone1 said:
    I was an avid listener of Mark & Lard  :)
    lol, weller juice and foxton jam
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    The later LPs are the 'Summersburst' formerly belonging to Andy Summers and the Bigsby one the borrowed Keefburst. That's the one at the Richmond Jazz Blues fest with Eric in the snazzy jacket and sideburns look. He had a couple of other ones later on probably seen more with Blind Faith and there's the 3 pickup custom that was a deal with Paul Kossoff.

The Beano was lifted before Cream ever played live. Can't be sure on this but I dont think there are pictures of him with this guitar with the Cream line up but would need to double check that. Apparently the case for it got lifted as well not long after the guitar went.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    tony99 said:
    tone1 said:
    I think in some north west english (specifically manchester) vernacular it means poppycock / nonsense / shite.
    Bobbins came from rhyming slang, Bobbins of Cotton = Rotten 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6734
    Bonamassa clearly knows where it is and has seen it and spoke about it on a forum, and then was reminded it was a stolen guitar and massively backtracked and deleted posts...
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6734
    shugz said:
    The later LPs are the 'Summersburst' formerly belonging to Andy Summers and the Bigsby one the borrowed Keefburst. That's the one at the Richmond Jazz Blues fest with Eric in the snazzy jacket and sideburns look. He had a couple of other ones later on probably seen more with Blind Faith and there's the 3 pickup custom that was a deal with Paul Kossoff.

The Beano was lifted before Cream ever played live. Can't be sure on this but I dont think there are pictures of him with this guitar with the Cream line up but would need to double check that. Apparently the case for it got lifted as well not long after the guitar went.

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Did it not get nicked when EC had sodded off to Greece? Likewise the JTM combo?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    tony99 said:
    tone1 said:
    Bobbins came from rhyming slang, Bobbins of Cotton = Rotten 
    ah nice didn't know that
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    edited October 2019
    The Harrisons can probably get hold of one for you.
    No questions asked.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Sassafras said:
    The Harrisons can probably get hold of one for you.
    No questions asked.
    Just one question.  How many do you want? 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    soma1975 said:
    shugz said:

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Did it not get nicked when EC had sodded off to Greece? Likewise the JTM combo?
    The Beano was a Cream rehearsal apparently but the JTM didn't make the ferry back from Greece. So the stories go at least.

Both allegedly still very much alive and kicking but who knows? The grassy knoll did it anyways....

H

www.proudhoney.com

• soma1975 said:
    Bonamassa clearly knows where it is and has seen it and spoke about it on a forum, and then was reminded it was a stolen guitar and massively backtracked and deleted posts...
    Odd. Why wouldn't he inform Clapton where it was so he could get it back?

‘Have you heard’ was always my Favourite Beano Album track.... :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    tFB Trader
    Just checked that part of the film footage again - found this still/clip
    and as you can see it has zebra bobbins in the bridge position - So either a different guitar or changed bridge pick-up

Image result for eric clapton beano les paul zebra bridge pick-up

Then about 2 mins later in the movie and talking about the early days with Cream and the Burst LP he is playing has baack bobbins on both pick-ups - So chances are this is the 'Summerburst' he acquired from Andy

A clip or two later and yes he is playing the 3 p/up black LP Custom

But it is this zebra bobbin model that is not what I expected - Or course it could be a borrowed/different guitar for that gig/session 
  • soma1975 said:
    Odd. Why wouldn't he inform Clapton where it was so he could get it back?
    The owner now wouldn’t necessarily have to give it back to Clapton. If the new owner was a genuine nice bloke Joe might’ve thought it’s better that Clapton didn’t try to get it back.