The Clapton 'Beano' Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    soma1975 said:
    Bonamassa clearly knows where it is and has seen it and spoke about it on a forum, and then was reminded it was a stolen guitar and massively backtracked and deleted posts...
    Odd. Why wouldn't he inform Clapton where it was so he could get it back?
    Then he would have to give it back....
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    The double black LP is the one on the early appearance on RSG - Clapton has the broon leather Harrington on. Very early Cream before the psychedelic bouffant look to ahold. That's the Summersburst LP.

H

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I'm not a hater of his Strats and later stuff like some maybe are but EC never really sounded as feral or pissed off and utterly genius-like as he does/ did here:

Obviously, we all hear things differently and if ya hate then no problem. You're wrong obviously but no problem ;) :)

H

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    shugz said:
    I'm not a hater of his Strats and later stuff like some maybe are but EC never really sounded as feral or pissed off and utterly genius-like as he does/ did here:

Obviously, we all hear things differently and if ya hate then no problem. You're wrong obviously but no problem ;) :)

H
    Wis'd, in the context of its time that is incredible, and you can understand why Chas Chandler couldn't persuade Jimi Hendrix to get on a plane to England a couple of months before that recording until he promised to introduce him to Clapton. 

There were just a few short months between mid '66 and spring '67 where electric guitar playing suddenly exploded - there were obvious triggers before that and smoother developments after, but the sound of that tiny period is unique.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    found this still
    and as you can see it has zebra bobbins in the bridge position - So either a different guitar or changed bridge pick-up

Image result for eric clapton beano les paul zebra bridge pick-up
    That image is consistent with others from the photographic sessions for the Beano album cover.

it was always assumed the Beano LP had white bobbins in the neck position and black bobbins in the bridge position 
    The 1998 CD edition of the album includes a photograph of EC, in the same room, holding the "bridge black, neck cream" Les Paul. Hughie Flint can be seen in the background. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431

A clip or two later and yes he is playing the 3 p/up black LP Custom
    Just as an aside, is it possible that the 3 p/u black LP Custom came from Jimmy Page? Certainly Jimmy played one through a blonde Tremolux while with Neil Christian’s Crusaders. Anyone know?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10269
    soma1975 said:
    Bonamassa clearly knows where it is and has seen it and spoke about it on a forum, and then was reminded it was a stolen guitar and massively backtracked and deleted posts...
    I'm not sure if it would matter due to the statute of limitations. Him knowing where it is 50 years later, when the statute has passed, isn't a crime. If he knew who had stolen it and was associating with them then yea, there's a moral issue there for sure but I wouldn't put much blame on his shoulders. 

Like when Marc Bolans stolen 50's reneck/refin was found a couple of years ago. It's been through so many owners that no one really said anything about where it came from. And the current owners seemed to buy it in somewhat good faith. Interesting in any case. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130

Like when Marc Bolans stolen 50's reneck/refin was found a couple of years ago. It's been through so many owners that no one really said anything about where it came from. And the current owners seemed to buy it in somewhat good faith. Interesting in any case. 
    Who's got that? I want it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Just checked that part of the film footage again - found this still/clip
    and as you can see it has zebra bobbins in the bridge position - So either a different guitar or changed bridge pick-up

Then about 2 mins later in the movie and talking about the early days with Cream and the Burst LP he is playing has baack bobbins on both pick-ups - So chances are this is the 'Summerburst' he acquired from Andy

But it is this zebra bobbin model that is not what I expected - Or course it could be a borrowed/different guitar for that gig/session 
    I think you're all missing the most important and quintissential question  here.  Which sounds better - black bobbins, white bobbins or a zebra bobbin mix? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    Just checked that part of the film footage again - found this still/clip

Then about 2 mins later in the movie and talking about the early days with Cream and the Burst LP he is playing has baack bobbins on both pick-ups - So chances are this is the 'Summerburst' he acquired from Andy

But it is this zebra bobbin model that is not what I expected - Or course it could be a borrowed/different guitar for that gig/session 
    I think you're all missing the most important and quintissential question  here.  Which sounds better - black bobbins, white bobbins or a zebra bobbin mix? 
    To be fair it probably has more bearing than any arguments we've heard in the great tonewood debates.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:

Who's got that? I want it.
    https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/possible-58-59-les-paul-no-serial-no.352625/
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    shugz said:

i hadn't heard this before, thanks for sharing. does anyone else hear a fuzzbox in there? 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    soma1975 said:
    Because I assume it was one of his rich investment banker friends who owns it. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:
    Can one "own" stolen goods??
    tony99 said:
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:
    Statute of limitations. 
    tony99 said:
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:
    Statute of limitations. 
    I don't know what that is and even if I did I wouldn't be confirming to its agenda.
    edited October 2019
    soma1975 said:
    I'm not sure if it would matter due to the statute of limitations. Him knowing where it is 50 years later, when the statute has passed, isn't a crime. If he knew who had stolen it and was associating with them then yea, there's a moral issue there for sure but I wouldn't put much blame on his shoulders. 

More an issue that whoever bought it clearly bought (and so also the person who sold it) did so knowing what it was which is a slightly different thing. And if it's your mate who owns it, and you are also on speaking terms with the original owner, maybe you actually want to stay the fudge out of it. 

That guitar would be the most expensive electric of all time if it is was sold at auction and with all the proper certification. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

More an issue that whoever bought it clearly bought (and so also the person who sold it) did so knowing what it was which is a slightly different thing. And if it's your mate who owns it, and you are also on speaking terms with the original owner, maybe you actually want to stay the fudge out of it. 

That guitar would be the most expensive electric of all time if it is was sold at auction and with all the proper certification. 

The Red Special would probably fetch more if it was ever sold.

By the way, there is no official statute of limitations in the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I meant more than any guitar that has been sold so far. You're probably right re Red Special. A lot of rich people like Queen. Actually including the Queen. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    There is no statute of limitations for crimes. Stolen goods are stolen goods.