Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
edited October 2019 in Amps
Just had a go on one of these new digitally modelled Blackface lookalikes. 

It weighs as little as an empty cabinet, awaiting a loudspeaker and steel chassis. 

The sound is Fenderish but lacks something. Turning up the Treble pot turns things harsh rather than “sparkly”. The dynamics seemed restricted. With the amp volume at ten, rolling down the guitar volume control does not clean up the sound in the expected fashion.

The modulation is nice but the reverb is way over the top. Anything above 3 and you are into Dick Dale territory.

Overall, the Tone Master DR produces my idea of a good solid state Fender sound. This makes the MSRP seem a bit steep - especially since it only buys one amp model. Probably wiser to go Helix or Kemper.
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Only last night I watched a video on these and thought this might be a great amp for taking to jams etc.

I'll stick with my super champ x 2, that sounds great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Go and try one for yourself. It is plenty loud enough. It should take pedals well.

IMO, the attenuator does what it says on the tin, reducing the SPL and, largely, preserving the basic tone. What is not preserved in the reduced power modes is the loudspeaker excursion. (My Cornell Romany Plus is equally prone to this.) 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    munckee said:
    Only last night I watched a video on these and thought this might be a great amp for taking to jams etc.

I'll stick with my super champ x 2, that sounds great!
    indeed - thought the same of my SCXD - great BF tones and with a pedal or two to focus things you get some great usable and satisfying sounds.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • @Munckee - if I remember rightly they did a Deluxe VM in that range too, rated at ~40w with a single 12” speaker. Might be worth hunting one down for something similar to the SCXD but higher rated?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589

The sound is Fenderish but lacks something. Turning up the Treble pot turns things harsh rather than “sparkly”. The dynamics seemed restricted. With the amp volume at ten, rolling down the guitar volume control does not clean up the sound in the expected fashion.

That in a nutshell IS amp modelling, whatever the adverts claim.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    gringopig said:
    Interesting. I tried the premium valve equivalent yesterday - the '64 handwired.
    Switched it off standby and FUTZ CRACKLEBANG!!! really loudly. Switched it off and on and the normal channel was dead. 12AX7 RIP.
    Then tried to use the bright channel but it was awful. Nasty ice pick treble that you could only dial out at 2 on the knob and it sounded harsh and tight. >£2k   lol no chance.

So these modelling versions must not be that bad in comparison.
    But that does bring up another point...

When a 12AX7 goes FUTZ CRACKLEBANG, you pull out the valve, put another one in and all is well (usually, anyway - at least with preamp valves). You can even do that at a gig if you have to. But when a switch-mode power supply or a Class D power amp goes FUTZ CRACKLEBANG - which they very much can do - then it's immediately game over. In fact, once they're out of warranty and the manufacturer has run out of spare modules they can sometimes be not repairable at all, or not without completely rebuilding it to take a different replacement unit which may or may not be economical or even physically practical.

I have to say I'm ambivalent about the two sides of the coin - it's true that modern solid-state technology is actually more reliable overall, in terms of the actual failure rate... but it's quite often less reliable in the long run once repairability is taken into account. I don't personally own a valve amp any more (other than an ancient one which is strictly for sentimental reasons and occasional home use, and I may not keep that forever) or any plans to buy another, but I'm not totally convinced by the long-term outlook for new gear.

Old analogue solid-state though, a lot of that is really close to completely bombproof and can still be repaired fairly easily. Luckily, I'm also a fan of the sound, although I know a lot of people aren't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Probably goes to show that present day, “inspired by vintage” valve amplifier designs are even better than The Real Thing.

In the real world, if pressed, I could probably happily gig with a MESA V-Twin and a few other pedals into the TMDR.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Old analogue solid-state though, a lot of that is really close to completely bombproof and can still be repaired fairly easily. Luckily, I'm also a fan of the sound, although I know a lot of people aren't.
    Going back about ten years, I sold my original 1965 Deluxe Reverb (long story).  Hadn’t been using it much, but decided I couldn’t exist without any amp at all, so I found an old Hofner (EV30 or something like that), for £40.  A bit chuffed at that as I raised nearly £2K from the DR.
    Anyway, the ancient Hofner turned out to be a gem, sounds great, excellent spring Reverb and tremolo, even looks a bit like the old DR.  It must be nearly 60 years old and still going strong.  Still miss that fab DR, but
    Thinking about a Spark now . . !
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I quite liked the idea of one of these and the videos I'd seen seemed to be quite good... and then I saw the price and instantly gave up on it.
  • We seem to be getting better at building guitars and worse at building amps 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    We seem to be getting better at building guitars and worse at building amps 
    In the long term I think we'll move away from 'amps' entirely. I'm not sure that's an entirely good thing, but I can see it coming.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1 said:
    I quite liked the idea of one of these and the videos I'd seen seemed to be quite good... and then I saw the price and instantly gave up on it.
    You can get a second hand deluxe reverb for the same price - whip the bright cap out, add a drive pedal and off you go. Maybe change the speaker if you need a bit more presence or/and volume.
    noisepolluter said:

You can get a second hand deluxe reverb for the same price - whip the bright cap out, add a drive pedal and off you go. Maybe change the speaker if you need a bit more presence or/and volume.
    Or just plug into the Normal channel and jumper to the Vibrato for reverb with the treble turned down.

I think a Jensen Tornado would be a great upgrade for one too - it's a fantastic speaker for any Fender-type amp, and weighs about as much as the box it arrives in...

• ICBM said:
    noisepolluter said:

Or just plug into the Normal channel and jumper to the Vibrato for reverb with the treble turned down.

I think a Jensen Tornado would be a great upgrade for one too - it's a fantastic speaker for any Fender-type amp, and weighs about as much as the box it arrives in...
    I’m still curious to try a Tornado, as well as the Neo Creamback. The Eminence GA-SC64 also looks very interesting.

The G12H Creamback does sound great in a Deluxe Reverb though - not a million miles away from the Jensen C12K but with more clarity and solid low end. Ended up plumping for G12H over the speakers above simply because I was able to try running the DRRI through a cab with a G12H Anniversary  in it. 
  • p90fool said:

That in a nutshell IS amp modelling, whatever the adverts claim.  :)
    For some ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited November 2019
    Well, I bought one today - I’m only interested in it as a lightweight, clean sound, pedal platform and it seems to do that rather well. I’ll gig it on Sunday and have a more informed opinion after that. In fairness the shop has said if I don’t like it they will take it back. 
  • Well, I bought one today - I’m only interested in it as a lightweight, clean sound, pedal platform and it seems to do that rather well. I’ll gig it on Sunday and have a more informed opinion after that. In fairness the shop has said if I don’t like it they will take it back. 
    Very interested in your feedback, looking at these for the same job.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    Well, I bought one today - I’m only interested in it as a lightweight, clean sound, pedal platform and it seems to do that rather well. I’ll gig it on Sunday and have a more informed opinion after that. In fairness the shop has said if I don’t like it they will take it back. 
    Very interested in your feedback, looking at these for the same job.
    Ditto!