Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    That recent video from Fender with Kirk Fletcher still didn't sound incredible and the fact that 80% of the vid was just him talking and not playing makes me wonder if Fender don't think that's the case as well. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't dislike the idea, but the price seems much too high for what it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    edited November 2019
    soma1975 said:
    That recent video from Fender with Kirk Fletcher still didn't sound incredible and the fact that 80% of the vid was just him talking and not playing makes me wonder if Fender don't think that's the case as well. 
    I thought it sounded better - mind you I generally find it quite extraordinary how bad some of the sounds on Fender demos are, often from gear that sounds much better in reality. 

@downbytheriver and I have similar tastes tone wise so it’ll be very interesting to hear what he has to say after living with it for a bit. I don’t think the asking price is steep for what it claims to be - i.e. a full blooded DR that just uses digital rather than valve tech. I’d definitely consider flogging my PRRI to fund one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    ICBM said:
    We seem to be getting better at building guitars and worse at building amps 
    In the long term I think we'll move away from 'amps' entirely. I'm not sure that's an entirely good thing, but I can see it coming.
    I can’t see it. I’ve dabbled with a helix and went straight back to proper amps. I don’t care what the sounds are (the helix sounds ace) it doesn’t feel like playing through an amp. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    shaunm said:

I can’t see it. I’ve dabbled with a helix and went straight back to proper amps. I don’t care what the sounds are (the helix sounds ace) it doesn’t feel like playing through an amp. 
    That's you, with experience of playing live with real amps. But very few guitarists play live any more.

Many of the kids I know who play are happier with a 'bedroom' type amp than a 'proper' amp, and they don't feel like real amps either. Give it twenty years and most guitarists probably won't have any interest in real amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here’s Proguitarshop Andy doing a guess-which-is-which video. I only listened on the phone speaker, but ...ahem... I got it wrong. 

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I just play what feels better to touch and sound and so far it’s valves all the way 
    Here’s Proguitarshop Andy doing a guess-which-is-which video. I only listened on the phone speaker, but ...ahem... I got it wrong. 

Don’t know about the amps but it made me drop everything and go and listen to London Calling end to end :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    ...ahem... I got it wrong. 
    I got it right but mainly because I had already auditioned a TMDR in a shop. (Its reverb is the giveaway. This issue could probably have been sorted by having 6G15-style Dwell and Tone controls tucked away somewhere on the rear of the chassis.)

There are moments in Andy Martin's demonstrations when I think both amplifiers sound a bit crappy. For the section with the G&L Legacy, I preferred Amp#1 over Amp#2. 

Ultimately, no video presentation of somebody else playing the gear - no matter how good - can convey the experience of playing that gear oneself. 

sweepy said:
    I just play what feels better to touch and sound and so far it’s valves all the way 
    This. 

The Fender TMDR is less responsive than a valve amplifier. Full stop. On the other hand, for some applications, this matters very little. If this amplifier retailed for five hundred Pounds rather than eight hundred, it would sell like hot cakes. 

If you are going to spend the best part of a grand, you might as well get a re-issue Princeton.

Listen to this then, go back and listen to Andy's Deluxe shoot out!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Here’s Proguitarshop Andy doing a guess-which-is-which video. I only listened on the phone speaker, but ...ahem... I got it wrong. 

I also preferred the Tonemaster in that video, but they're close enough that it might easily be due to manufacturing variance in pot values and different speakers. Without knowing how it feels under the fingers it's not a particularly useful conclusion in isolation. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I thought Amp 1 sounded much better than Amp 2, especially for the heavily overdriven sound at the end, although also on the cleanest sound at the beginning. The tremolo on Amp 2 (6'38" onwards) was particularly poor.

The Princeton is somewhere in between the two, but is a quite different sound.

So overall I would take Amp 1 in the Deluxe shootout.

(No spoiler for those who haven't watched it yet.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AB it shall be....

• Last night I played a social club where they had no car park, the access to the (on the first floor) stage was via a set of stairs outside (in the rain, they were painted brick) which weren’t big enough to fit my size 11 feet on. One of these would have made life a lot easier than my 25kg Yamaha 1x12 combo. I’m going to wait until a local shop has one in and then go and audition one against my amp and see how it fairs.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited November 2019
    Well, AB it wasn’t - I used the Deluxe Reverb Tone Master for the whole gig. It sounded and felt just fine. It weighs less than my (not huge) pedalboard. Dynamics felt right, tone was familiar, frankly I am slightly stunned. It was suggested that it might lack a little middle but that tends to be the way I like it - I used the classic vol 6, treble 6, bass 3 settings that have worked on every Deluxe I have ever used. 

It’s not going back! 

Further reflection - it takes pedals very well! I use clean tones and drive comes from the pedals not from overdriving the input. Beautifully revealing of modulations from the MS3 and the Alexander Wavelength. When we got a bit ZZ Top towards the end it certainly rocked on the Pettydrive! 

I think this is a great gigging amp - in that situation it definitely has THAT sound. For recording I would possibly think about using one of my valve amps but I would want to try this too.

I haven't tried the XLR DI output - not really my thing.

Disclaimer:   I’m not really into forensic, microscopic assessment of isolated tone in an anechoic chamber. I plug things in and tend not to judge them till I have gigged them. If I want to use them again, stamp them approved. Gear used: Gretsch G5420T (standard blacktop Filtertrons), Boss MS3, Hudson Broadcast, Pettyjohn Pettydrive, Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic and Alexander Wavelength. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, AB it wasn’t - I used the Deluxe Reverb Tone Master for the whole gig. It sounded and felt just fine. It weighs less than my (not huge) pedalboard. Dynamics felt right, tone was familiar, frankly I am slightly stunned. It was suggested that it might lack a little middle but that tends to be the way I like it - I used the classic vol 6, treble 6, bass 3 settings that have worked on every Deluxe I have ever used. 

It’s not going back! 

Further reflection - it takes pedals very well! I use clean tones and drive comes from the pedals not from overdriving the input. Beautifully revealing of modulations from the MS3 and the Alexander Wavelength. When we got a bit ZZ Top towards the end it certainly rocked on the Pettydrive! 

I think this is a great gigging amp - in that situation it definitely has THAT sound. For recording I would possibly think about using one of my valve amps but I would want to try this too.

Disclaimer:   I’m not really into forensic, microscopic assessment of isolated tone in an anechoic chamber. I plug things in and tend not to judge them till I have gigged them. If I want to use them again, stamp them approved. Gear used: Gretsch G5420T (standard blacktop Filtertrons), Boss MS3, Hudson Broadcast, Pettyjohn Pettydrive, Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic and Alexander Wavelength. 
    This is very interesting....I think the problem I had in my last foray into this kind of thing (Katana) it just didn’t work well in a band mix. This sounds like it does, and is really light. What’s not to like? Other than the ‘lack of mids’ thing (which as you’ve suggested, may be personal taste), was there anything you didn’t like about it?
  • markslade07 said: Other than the ‘lack of mids’ thing (which as you’ve suggested, may be personal taste), was there anything you didn’t like about it?
    Not a damned thing. Yet. 
    markslade07 said: Other than the ‘lack of mids’ thing (which as you’ve suggested, may be personal taste), was there anything you didn’t like about it?
    Not a damned thing. Yet. 
    *sigh*

Dear Santa....
  • Lewy said:
    markslade07 said: Other than the ‘lack of mids’ thing (which as you’ve suggested, may be personal taste), was there anything you didn’t like about it?
    Not a damned thing. Yet. 
    *sigh*

Dear Santa....
    Yup.
  • I want a Joe Walsh pedal now. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Well, AB it wasn’t - I used the Deluxe Reverb Tone Master for the whole gig. It sounded and felt just fine. It weighs less than my (not huge) pedalboard. Dynamics felt right, tone was familiar, frankly I am slightly stunned. It was suggested that it might lack a little middle but that tends to be the way I like it - I used the classic vol 6, treble 6, bass 3 settings that have worked on every Deluxe I have ever used. 

It’s not going back! 

Great review. Much more interested in people actually using them commenting than the likes of me mouthing off having never even been in the same room as one. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom