A Beginners Guide To ...

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27218
    I don't think Physical Graffitti is very good. But HOTH is excellent if you skip Dyer Maker
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Can someone do Deep Purple? I've the mark 2 albums, but is there anything essential after those?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Can someone do Deep Purple? I've the mark 2 albums, but is there anything essential after those?
    I don't have time at the moment - about to go out, but in short, listen to "Burn" and "Perfect Strangers".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    RE: Deep Purple - Which "mark" does the "Come Taste the Band" album fall under? The 35th anniversary reissue of that album is simply blisteringly delightful to listen to! Honestly, it may be my favourite DP album. The Coverdale/Hughes vocals are great. I know, it's different, cos it's not Gillan, but I really love the album inside/out and back to front! Shirley's remix of the album is great too. So if I was gonna put together a buyer's guide for DP, that'd be in "essentials" along with Machine Head, Burn and Fireball. I also highly rate "Now What?!" (their most recent album)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    Come Taste The Band is MkIV - Tommy Bolin on guitar.

I can't listen to Deep Purple without Blackmore though - just doesn't work for me.

After MkII I would pick Burn and Perfect Strangers as essential as Lixarto said, and Stormbringer and House Of Blue Light (the last true DP album, for me) as good. There's some good stuff on Stormbringer, but also this is the album where Glenn Hughes tried to take over the band and caused Blackmore to leave. I can't stand Hughes' vocals either, although I like Coverdale.
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

Can someone do a Beginner's Guide to Bill Nelson?
    @AuldReekie is the man for that I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    my take on Dream Theater would be:

The Best By Miles - Images and Words and Awake

Good Tracks and Worth Getting - Octavarium and A Change of Seasons

Everything else all sounds the same to me, with none of it grabbing me anywhere no matter how many times I tried.
    too much of it is just formulaic running up and down scales guitar/bass/keyboard all in unison, followed by the the same cheesy harmonies, and the vocal melodies are always the same and with the same pattern from song to song
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Deep Purple Mk I The album with the Heironymus Bosch cover is worthwhile, especially April on Side 2, which has some exquisite guitar work - keep turning up the end as it fades out to catch every last note from Ritchie Blackmore.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Fazer said:
    my take on Dream Theater would be:

The Best By Miles - Images and Words and Awake

Good Tracks and Worth Getting - Octavarium and A Change of Seasons

Everything else all sounds the same to me, with none of it grabbing me anywhere no matter how many times I tried.
    too much of it is just formulaic running up and down scales guitar/bass/keyboard all in unison, followed by the the same cheesy harmonies, and the vocal melodies are always the same and with the same pattern from song to song
    Surprised to hear that - have you checked out the new album? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    i cant remember, they all blurred into one after a while!
    i'll give it a listen later
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    edited June 2014
    I wish I had Box of Fire. I have the 3 disc Pandora's Box and a couple of singles and oddities here and there. Got "Classics Live 2" the other day for 50 cents hahaha... 

I definitely need more!! I'd love to know more about your Aerosmith collection, @dcwhite - it sounds like you may have "the lot"!! I'm pretty close... but there's so much more out there that I don't have!

You're very kind, but you mustn't give me the excuse to keep boring on about Aerosmith, or none of the other bands will get a look-in :) And as much of a sad fan as I am (I wasn't joking about the Boneyard guitar, although it is the Epi version), even I would have to say there are only so many Joe Perry albums one man really needs (I seem to have five. Hum...).

I think the only thing I'm really 'missing' as such is the solo album Brad Whitford did - Whitford/St Holmes, I think it was. I will hang on until that turns up at a reasonable price though - I can see it on eBay, but I'm not paying nearly forty pounds for it (any more than I'm paying the £148 someone wants for a Joe Perry tab book :) ).

IIRC, I'd bought everything up to and including Get a Grip on cassette... I bought the Box of Fire to replace everything with CDs. It was a bit of a hit on the pocket at the time, but I'm glad I did it now (although it's mostly just the albums from their original Columbia contract, there's not much 'previously unreleased') Fifty cents for CL2 is a proper bargain though, nice one :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

I don't suppose anyone feels like giving their thoughts on Slade? I have Slayed, and it's excellent, but where do I go from there, please?

Robin Trower:

the essentials: bridge of sighs, for earth below
    they've got the best tracks and fantastic production by matthew fisher, the guitar sounds epic and huge

only just behind, excellent and totally recommended: long misty days, in city dreams, victims of the fury
    all the songs and playing are just as good as the first 2, but less epic production on misty days and victims makes them less immersive.
    city dreams has a more mellow/pop/funky feel with lots of flange/swirliness.

some really good tracks: caravan to midnight, beyond the mist

everything else might have good bits and pieces but bit of pot luck really.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    dchwhite said:
    I don't suppose anyone feels like giving their thoughts on Slade? I have Slayed, and it's excellent, but where do I go from there, please?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17001/slade#latest

Its not a complete Beginners Guide but it might help
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    Fazer said:
    Robin Trower:

the essentials: bridge of sighs, for earth below
    they've got the best tracks and fantastic production by matthew fisher, the guitar sounds epic and huge

only just behind, excellent and totally recommended: long misty days, in city dreams, victims of the fury
    all the songs and playing are just as good as the first 2, but less epic production on misty days and victims makes them less immersive.
    city dreams has a more mellow/pop/funky feel with lots of flange/swirliness.

some really good tracks: caravan to midnight, beyond the mist

everything else might have good bits and pieces but bit of pot luck really.

Don't forget the 1975 Robin Trower Live album. Great production, Robin plays like a god and Jimmy Dewar is just beyond compare.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    dchwhite said:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17001/slade#latest

Its not a complete Beginners Guide but it might help
    Thanks, Phil :) I'd seen the thread, and that's (partly) what sparked off my curiosity really - I own and love Slayed, & I can see a few votes for Slade Alive, but I'm not sure where to go after that, so if anyone could advise, I'd be most grateful, ta :)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    edited June 2014
    Pink Floyd

Essential
    Echoes (EDIT: I meant Meddle)
    Piper at the Gate of Dawm

Good
    Wish You Were Here
    DSOM
    The Wall

Novelty (without Waters)
    The Division Bell
    Pulse

Fans only
    pretty much everything else

Let the raging debate begin ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
    /\ Nutter  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27218
    Let's try Pink Floyd again...

Essential:
    DSOTM
    Wish You Were Here
    The Wall