Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The latest snowflake outrage...

What's Hot
There's a Change.org petition to ban the terms 'male' and 'female' when referring to audio connections and 'master' and 'slave' also.

Not sure if this is a wind up but;

https://www.change.org/p/audio-engineering-society-change-gendered-and-slavery-derived-terms-in-the-audio-industry?fbclid=IwAR2ZM1hCi_2ICfYLdxw3_1FawbOMK9aIvPNx5baCzyPDNd45AI9NQI5wYFk
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Interesting. “Low paid UK taxpayer” is much harder to splutter out than “slave”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    I don't personally feel these terms perpetuate any nastiness, but I'd be happy to change the words I used if some people do.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27626
    Wolfetone said:
    There's a Change.org petition to ban the terms 'male' and 'female' when referring to audio connections and 'master' and 'slave' also.
    “Sticky-out bit” and “sticky-in bit” would be so much better.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    Sub & Dom
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    Wolfetone said:
    “Sticky-out bit” and “sticky-in bit” would be so much better.

I feel embarrassed that I’ve been perpetuating these gender stereotypes for so long , it’s all about growing as a person though and we are all on that journey.

From now on I’m going to call them the ‘dick’ end  and the ‘fanny’ end and hope right thinking people forgive my previous transgressions.
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    Good luck plugging two females together without a double ended "adapter". 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2416
    Top and Bottom?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297

Talking of snowflakes, Peloton are in hot water because their new advert has some bloke buying his missus an exercise bike for Christmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/04/peloton-backlash-sexist-dystopian-exercise-bike-christmas-advert

Why single this advert out. All their bloody ads are cringingly awful.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    As long as they ban people from referring to guitars as “she” & “her”, I’m all for it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    What if it’s a female plug or a male socket?
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3712
    Interesting. “Low paid UK taxpayer” is much harder to splutter out than “slave”
    If you're paying your slaves enough that they need to pay taxes then I think you've misssed the point :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3712
    prowla said:
    What if it’s a female plug or a male socket?
    That would depend how it identified itself. :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16112
    can they be "fluid" ?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12378

Talking of snowflakes, Peloton are in hot water because their new advert has some bloke buying his missus an exercise bike for Christmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/04/peloton-backlash-sexist-dystopian-exercise-bike-christmas-advert

Why single this advert out. All their bloody ads are cringingly awful.

When I see more women on the roads on their bikes I'll take offense. There is a massive imbalance of male cyclists for example commuting to work. Women don't like to get their hair messed up or to get to work all sweaty. The Ruth is neither do I but I don't have the luxury of choice if my wife uses the car for work. Having said that I don't really like the idea of my wife tackling her way through rush HR traffic on a bike with so many dickheads on the road. I'm sure I read that women cyclists more likely to be knocked off due to lack of confidence/aggression when holding their road position though. I'm rambling now, oh well time to get on the bike to a training day today...
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6698
    I think it's important to refer to the plug or socket using the pronoun that makes it feel most comfortable. We ought to be more respectful to them. Jeez, this binary world is awful. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's becoming difficult to tell parody from reality. All this kind of thing does is encourage entrenched behaviour of the "woke" vs the "deplorables" or what have you.

It's good to question old figures of speech and discourage them if they are just nasty ("n***er in the woodpile" etc). But I can't imagine any people living under conditions of slavery are worried about the naming conventions of the audio industry!

I think Rule #1 suffices.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • How about

Male Connectors - Ant
    Female Connectors - Dec
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    The times I've been setting something up and found I have two male or female ends without a suitable connector have been so frustrating. Under the new regime it will be easy enough to identify a male as a female or female as male and they will be - trip to Argos saved.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987
    edited December 2019
    jonnyburgo said:
    Women don't like to get their hair messed up or to get to work all sweaty. 
    jonnyburgo said:
    I'm sure I read that women cyclists more likely to be knocked off due to lack of confidence/aggression when holding their road position though. 
    Oooh, gender stereotypying....

jonnyburgo said:
    Having said that I don't really like the idea of my wife tackling her way through rush HR traffic on a bike with so many dickheads on the road. 
    Oooh, that sounds a bit patriarchal...

And "dickheads"... more gender-based metaphorical language, rather than clear descriptive language...

I think someone may have to start a petition about this. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I suppose gender bender is on the list too
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk