All you ever wanted to know about Gibson T Tops

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10429
    tFB Trader
    chrisv said:
    The Calibrated T-Types in my 2021 ES-335 sound fantastic, I'm very happy with them. Here are a few examples, the first and second from a filmed live session (guitar direct using a Quad Cortex) and the third an Instagram noodle (of which there are many more posted on my account): 

https://youtu.be/_pWzdyW1v1E?si=MrpTEhgYrGE7WTa3

Nothing wrong with reducing the neck power at all ... it just won't suit every player or every guitar :-) 
    The most accurate approach to vintage is to wind both to 7.6k and compensate via height ... almost nobody does this when winding repros however.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Average DC resistance on the new neck units is stated as 7.3k ohms, so the 6.9k example seems to be an outlier. I'd measure mine but I don't have a multimeter to hand. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yeah, like I say, I was surprised.

Been trying to work out what to do with them. I was using my Explorer at practice last night and I just love the way the T-tops mate with that guitar - it's all Mahogany, really resonant. And they're the perfect output & EQ to go into an AC30. It feels like it'd be a bit of a waste of time to swap out pickups that I know I love for repros, I can't really see how they'd be better.

Actually, I don't know for sure what magnets are in the T-Tops - they seem to be mid '70s, stamped, but their moderate output comparable with some Ibanez Super 58s (A3) and a slight smoothness in the very top end makes me think they might be A3. If only there was a way to find out just by looking.

tFB Trader
    By that pic they are short magnet ... so could easily be short A3 - it's usually pretty easy to tell if you have an alnico 5 humbucker around for comparison, the pull on say a small screwdriver, held on the pole, will be way less with alnico 3!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Well by that test they're A5, and the super 58s are A3 as expected. The top end must just be from the pickup covers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18769
    Don't forget the effect on tone of the maple V plastic spacers 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Don't forget the effect on tone of the maple V plastic spacers 
    Surely not  :o
    tFB Trader
    Cirrus said:
    Well by that test they're A5, and the super 58s are A3 as expected. The top end must just be from the pickup covers.
    Covers make more of a difference than most folks think. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited November 2023
    I have a set of Riot Acts in my LP with A3 magnets which I believe are wound closer to the Bean-O set. Two questions: are these based on the T-Tops rather than PAF's and are they potted?

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    tFB Trader
    Riot acts are based on a particular set of T Tops I had a chance to work on and measure (as is the case for all of my 'reproduction' pickups) . And as they are Masterwounds they can be requested potted or unpotted (standard is potted). . 

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Thanks.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."