Paulnb57 Q1’20 Challenge - Today mostly I have been assembling a StraTele!....

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited January 2020
    Ive spent a few days finessing a scratchplate design for number 4, the reverse Strat and have sent a scan to Tim at Scratch-it (Gig Ink) will prob go for plain white....oh and a reverse slant on the bridge pickup, which will be a  JB junior

In other news parts are all in for number two, the White Blond Strat.....

There is a gold hardtail bridge too which I forgot to include, possibly changed my mind about the neck too, like @TTony I have parts all over the place and found a Maple Allparts Vee Strat neck with a modded to Tele shape heel, that I’d forgotten about, headstock is black, so it will need a tickle with something to remove it, the joy is its finished in Tru Oil and I love the profile.....Ill decide when the body arrives....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Loving the reverse Strat (but you knew that already !) and I know that this shouldn’t be what I’m taking away from this post but that bit where you reference the Allparts V Strat neck that you’ve modded to have a Tele heel. How would that work ? I get how you can go from a Teie heel to a Strat heel by rounding it off a little but to go the other way to fill a Tele neck pocket with a Strat neck wouldn’t you have to actually add wood ? 
    DrBob said:
    Loving the reverse Strat (but you knew that already !) and I know that this shouldn’t be what I’m taking away from this post but that bit where you reference the Allparts V Strat neck that you’ve modded to have a Tele heel. How would that work ? I get how you can go from a Teie heel to a Strat heel by rounding it off a little but to go the other way to fill a Tele neck pocket with a Strat neck wouldn’t you have to actually add wood ? 
    DrBob said:
    Just flatten the curve so its straight, its only about 1mm and there is plenty of travel in the bridge saddles to intonate. I have one Tele neck that got modded to Strat then back to Tele, its still fine!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Great concept - just a small aesthetic point, would the lower horn on the scratchplate 'work' better if the gap between it and the body edge was consistent?   
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    edited January 2020
    MattNovak said:
    Great concept - just a small aesthetic point, would the lower horn on the scratchplate 'work' better if the gap between it and the body edge was consistent?   
    I did that Matt and I preferred it how it is now....
    I got through a shit load of printer paper trying different designs...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    It's going well :)

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    paulnb57 said:
    MattNovak said:
    I did that Matt and I preferred it how it is now....
    I got through a shit load of printer paper trying different designs...
    Ha, I know - I once spent about 4 hours making a template out of card, then transferred it to 3 x a4 pages... cut it out and hated it.  
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    paulnb57 said:
    DrBob said:
    DrBob said:
    Just flatten the curve so its straight, its only about 1mm and there is plenty of travel in the bridge saddles to intonate. I have one Tele neck that got modded to Strat then back to Tele, its still fine!
    You Maverick Mad Man ! Love it ! Am finding this and @TTony and indeed @Andyjr1515 ’s build threads hugely inspiring, keep it up chaps ! 
    Ive been humming and haaing over the neck choice for the Mary Kaye inspired Stratele build and today bit the bullet and bought a Solid Rosewood WD Tele neck from across the pond...I love solid Rosewood, megabucks but this is a dreamcaster build, and you only live once!.....
    In other news the custom scratchplate from Scratch-It should arrive today, so I hope make progress on the reverse Strat.....

edited January 2020
    Scratchplate arrived today from Tim at Scratch-It...so Ive fitted what Ive got, need switch tip, knobs, Trem mounting screws, output jack and a tickle with the soldering iron.....at last I’m happy with how it looks, bridge pickup is Duncan JB Jr, no idea what the middle and neck singles are, but they will get it going and might be ok...love the way the paint sinks into the (very lightweight) Ash.....Ruby Talulah had to lend a hand....

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    paulnb57 said:
    ...love the way the paint sinks into the (very lightweight) Ash.....

Me too.

I much prefer guitars where you can see and feel the wood that they're made of, rather than a load of paint that they've been suffocated in.  So that gets a :+1: from me.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2368
    That reverse Strat is messing with my heid.

Good job! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ddigger said:
    That reverse Strat is messing with my heid.
    I know!

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Looking very good indeed!
    Looking very good indeed!
    Thanks Andy!

Trem screws arrived today Knobs and Switch Tip are on order....

There doesn’t look like there’s much more to do?

You’ll be in with a chance of the finished-in-the-first-month prize.  

Except there isn’t a prize.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    There doesn’t look like there’s much more to do?

You’ll be in with a chance of the finished-in-the-first-month prize.  

Except there isn’t a prize.
    I’ll have two out of four finished in the first month, however the other two are at least another 6weeks away, due to paint....I now have everything in place to do the assemblage, except the bodies

I need to get off my fat wotsit and get on with mine!

To be fair, one is a day or two away, one is a week or two away, and I thought that the third was almost done ... until I realised what the problems were that caused me to put it aside before.
    edited January 2020
    Half the joy for me once Ive decided on a look or style, is researching and sourcing parts, what fits with what, making mistakes and learning from them, taking chances and revelling in the results, or not, enjoying the finished result or storing the failures ready to be recycled into something else, when inspiration strikes, it might be a forgotten part, or a colour, or a part for sale on here, that  I like that sets me off on a build......hugely satisfying, frustrating and addictive. I have far too many guitars, but cant bear to part with them as most have so much of me in them...the majority are partscasters that have evolved into something to be proud of, from some flaky first attempts....

paulnb57 said:
     I have far too many guitars, but cant bear to part with them as most have so much of me in them...
    You are not alone ....
    !!!