Chapman Youtube Drama Continues...

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    If this if that if they if those  then it's all over for Rob. Come on..

Nothing has happened. Nobody has broken the law and done anything bad or even underhand except have their own opinion on some events skewed towards themselves. 

But the desire to feel important and influential on the internet has led to a bunch of people trying to raise their profile by making  a bunch of videos and a bunch of people leaving mean comments. 

It will have zero impact on anything. Nor should it. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631

Because this isn’t a transaction.

If his videos were pay per view then that would be comparable but they are funded by advertising and sponsorship.

He was asking for charity to replace equipment and personal items.

Digitalscream made the argument that those items were needed to make the videos which the fans want to see, and they are free to do with their money what they wish, but it’s still not the same as paying for a good or service

Furthermore, if any of this missing equipment was vital to their channels production then it should have been insured (as Digitalscream pointed out) and therefore cutting corners and saving money on insurance then expecting others to foot the bill isn’t a business practice (or personal financial gain) that that sits well with me

My point was more about Dave Simpson tbh but it still sort of stands.

It is the same its just using a different method of content and support but I'd argue that it's a better system as there is zero requirement or expectation to contribute financially.

Dave makes videos for no charge that anyone can watch, I can watch them and if I like them I can choose to support him should I wish. If a band I like makes an album I have to part with money in order to listen to it with the potential that it could be crap.

There is no requirement to contribute and everyone that chooses to is because they want to support and see more of someone they like.

I do agree that in the case of chappers they equipment should have been insured and personally I wouldn't ever contribute in a situation like that but if others want to who am I to dictate or judge them for doing so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    We can end the thread now
    Better still, could we have an Even Further Behind Closed Doors private chat room, devoted to All Things Chappers, where the haters and the rimmers can expound their theories without bothering anyone else with it? 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Well, all this has certainly made me think twice about watching any of his videos - not that I ever have watched them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • We can end the thread now
    Better still, could we have an Even Further Behind Closed Doors private chat room, devoted to All Things Chappers, where the haters and the rimmers can expound their theories without bothering anyone else with it? 

Amen
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    tony99 said:
    Wonder if he's got a Baldrick like cunning plan to get himself out the crap

Funny read so far even if I still don't really get what's going on
    I'm struggling to follow most of it, but I'd be lying if I said I weren't emotionally invested somehow, I just can' work out ...er....how

I doubt anyone in this thread could succintly summarise what it is that Chappers has actually done wrong
    He bought a guitar for his son's personal use and claimed it against tax as a business expense.

That's what did for Al Capone you know...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    "I bought a guitar for my son...I own a business that deals with music so I get good tax breaks on gear...I get a really good discount [from Andertons]"

So that's cost price minus VAT and offset against corporation tax.  Not a bad deal at all.  For his son.  Not quite so much for the rest of us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    We can end the thread now

Amen
    Or you could tell your hand not to click on any thread with Chapman in the title.  The clue's in the name.  If you have involuntary spasms, you need a doctor.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5672
    "I bought a guitar for my son...I own a business that deals with music so I get good tax breaks on gear...I get a really good discount [from Andertons]"

So that's cost price minus VAT and offset against corporation tax.  Not a bad deal at all.  For his son.  Not quite so much for the rest of us.
    Surely that's not legal though?  You can't claim something against tax as a business expense if it has duality of purpose.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Haych said:

Surely that's not legal though?  You can't claim something against tax as a business expense if it has duality of purpose.

That's my point.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5672
    Haych said:

That's my point.
    D'oh!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited January 2020
    Did he make a video about getting the guitar?

Boom. 

I say this as someone that makes videos. 

EDIT: I bet someone has already reported him to HMRC

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    soma1975 said:
    Did he make a video about getting the guitar?

Boom. 

I say this as someone that makes videos. 

EDIT: I bet someone has already reported him to HMRC
    They'll never get round to it due to being snowed under with reports of bedroom dealers not paying their VAT.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    Wish they would sell these ones off at £500 now everyone hates Rob.

I still don't mind him, and I want one, but they are over-priced: -

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Necks now lacquered with the tears of lesser known guitar vloggers.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    soma1975 said:
    Necks now lacquered with the tears of lesser known guitar vloggers.

As long as it gives a bit of a satin finish - if I wanted gloss I'd buy an Epiphone.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7116
    tony99 said:
    Wonder if he's got a Baldrick like cunning plan to get himself out the crap

Funny read so far even if I still don't really get what's going on
    I'm struggling to follow most of it, but I'd be lying if I said I weren't emotionally invested somehow, I just can' work out ...er....how

I doubt anyone in this thread could succintly summarise what it is that Chappers has actually done wrong
    He bought a guitar for his son's personal use and claimed it against tax as a business expense.

That's what did for Al Capone you know...
    Nah that was syphilis that got him.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    Or you could tell your hand not to click on any thread with Chapman in the title.  The clue's in the name. 
    I do not even want to see the name in the title.

If you have involuntary spasms, you need a doctor.
    I recently turned fifty seven. Several parts of my body either do involuntary things or fail to do voluntary ones. It can only get worse. The best that my GP can offer is referrals to have the defective bits cut out/off.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn’t describe myself as a fan but I’ve enjoyed a lot of his videos over the years, particularly the road trip ones like early NAMM shows and The American Bus Tours, Dorje Tours etc.

There was a good feeling about a lot of the content back then, there was a sense of disbelief that all these cool things were happening to them and they seemed thrilled that manufacturers were chucking gear at them, it was like they were on an adventure at times.

There were occasional flashes of smugness and hubris but you could accept that people attempting to make a career in the music business would have a degree of self-belief and confidence and it was maybe understandable under the circumstances.

The content on his channel has changed quite a bit as the brand has become more successful and the stuff that’s getting posted now just isn’t as engaging, most of it just seems to be him sitting about in his house, yawning and noodling on a guitar, you get the feeling the interesting bit of his journey is over.

Even this year’s NAMM videos are disappointing, no booth just turning up with some guitars and publicising them through Andertons & Thomann channels. He’s like the guy selling t-shirts outside a gig.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • We can end the thread now

Amen
    Will you both be there too?
This discussion has been closed.