Chapman Youtube Drama Continues...

What's Hot

Comments

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2266
    I tried watching the Chappers video and lost the will to live after about 30 seconds.
    I dont really care what the "he said, she said" is all about. Sorry.
    I am surprised though by how much people like to analyse these things on the internet. I suppose it shows how important "gossip" is us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The comments on the Thomann Chapman Guitars Namm video are going the same way they did on the Andertons' one, generally negative with lots of thumbs down. There's a couple of responses from Thomann saying they are aware of the issues surrounding RC at the moment.

This has been a massive PR own goal from him, anyone with a casual interest in guitars who gets one of these videos recommended by You Tube is going to wonder why there are so many dislikes and check the comments, then check out the other videos and the story will just keep growing arms and legs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    soma1975 said:

At the risk of repeating myself, what has Rob Chapman done to stop his guitars being sold? 
    I don't know or care and it doesn't matter what he's done, his popularity has taken a huge nosedive and his popularity is the only reason Chapman Guitars exist. 

It's celebrity over substance and the celebrity is tarnished. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    edited January 2020
    I mean, he still has 736,000 subscribers which is the metric people tend to use to measure these things. ie his level of 'engagement'. He's certainly popular enough for half the loudmouth nothing better to do guitar world to moan about him and the other half rush to his defence*. I really don't think he is going anywhere.

* And the rest of us stick our oar in for the fun of it. 

Gibson are still selling guitars after Agnesi-Gate and Agnesi is still making vids for them. 

Chris Brown still has hit records. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    tony99 said:

I doubt anyone in this thread could succintly summarise what it is that Chappers has actually done wrong
    It's probably what he hasn't done. Here is my take away:

1) Small Internet guy (KDH) has a pop at large internet guy (RC) over some alleged lack of transparency issues in his business dealings
    2) RC releases a video saying how unhappy is about this and talks about his 'online power' 
    3) A portion of his 700k subscribers head over to KDH to threaten and abuse him. Allegedly this includes contacting his school and stirring up allegations of sexual assault
    4) Large Internet guy RC sits back for a couple of weeks and watches his subscribers abuse small internet guy (KDH).

For me, as soon as he became aware that his followers were abusing and threatening another individual online he should have made a statement that  intimidating people online is wrong and distancing himself from those partaking in the abuse.

So what he has actually done wrong is get himself into a situation where he is being perceived as an online bully. When you own a company that carries your name as the brand then this type of publicity is not what your business partners  and customers want to be associated with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    edited January 2020
    Gibson are one of the worlds leading guitar makers and have been for many many years - many of the Guitars they make are icons to the worlds guitar playing community. The Agnesi video was somewhat silly and unnecessary but I think they would need to go much further to do the damage Rob has managed. 

Chapman Guitars is a niche brand sold through selected outlets making probably decent enough mid range guitars which are broadly copies T type, S type, LP Type etc.... The name on the headstock reflected Rob's rising star in the world of social media, he has managed to tarnish that and there will be a backlash how far that goes time will tell. I tend to agree this will prove to be a Ratners moment that he might live to regret. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    soma1975 said:
    I mean, he still has 736,000 subscribers which is the metric people tend to use to measure these things. ie his level of 'engagement'. He's certainly popular enough for half the loudmouth nothing better to do guitar world to moan about him and the other half rush to his defence*. I really don't think he is going anywhere.

Gibson are still selling guitars after Agnesi-Gate and Agnesi is still making vids for them. 

Likes and dislikes on his videos are now running about 50:50, and that's a big deal for someone who doesn't actually make anything. 

You can't say "he's a bit of an egotist but makes a fine guitar" because the business model is like that of an actor marketing a range of perfumes. When the actor's celebrity stock goes down the perfume is discontinued because the quality of the perfume is utterly irrelevant. 

I'm not saying Chapman has hit that low point yet, but the figurehead of a guitar brand which is so dependant for sales on goodwill towards him needs to be far more careful than your average CEO to not lose it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10452
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    Quite honestly, I'm surprised that Rob didn't consider the Streisand Effect. This all started with a no-name wannabe deciding he could get some exposure by ragging on somebody popular - that's all it was. Yes, he might have had a few salient points, but most of that video was just innuendo and make-believe.

It's often a mark of success without recognition of the boundaries that come with it which results in folk thinking the Streisand Effect doesn't apply to them, but...there are now at least 10 videos out there about this, almost all of them on channels a few orders of magnitude larger than KDH's and who Rob won't be able to silence short of a court order (which would be extremely difficult and expensive to obtain, I think).

Rob's the one who torpedoed himself with all of this, and it was all so bloody unnecessary.

To be clear, I honestly don't think anybody's covered themselves in glory in this episode, no matter how right they think they are, and from my perspective it's just added another bunch of channels to the list of "YouTubers I'm never going to support". Riding the tail of something like this just to get more views and subscribers (and that's all it is, no matter how much some of them profess to hating doing that kind of video) simply makes me think much, much less of them.

As a music industry business owner I'm acutely aware that everything I say, every opinion I give will reflect back on my business; even though my business doesn't bear my name as such. What goes up online can never be completely erased, even if one changes ones attitude or reconsiders a hasty post. We live in a world where if you become a 'celebrity', even in a niche sphere like the 'industry' you open to yourself to intense scrutiny (like it or not).
    This is all very sad and unnecessary, but if RC's business has been damaged then it will be by forgetting the first rule of social media: don't feed the trolls.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oil City Pickups response video inbound...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    On the latest video, there are a lot of “dislikes”. But not that many negative comments. There’s the odd person trying to push the whole saga on the viewers but not many.

I think this is how it’ll be for a little while until it fizzles out. 

Adey said:
    I tried watching the Chappers video and lost the will to live after about 30 seconds.
    I dont really care what the "he said, she said" is all about. Sorry.
    I am surprised though by how much people like to analyse these things on the internet. I suppose it shows how important "gossip" is us.
    Oh look, irony :)
    p90fool said:
    soma1975 said:

Likes and dislikes on his videos are now running about 50:50, and that's a big deal for someone who doesn't actually make anything. 

You can't say "he's a bit of an egotist but makes a fine guitar" because the business model is like that of an actor marketing a range of perfumes. When the actor's celebrity stock goes down the perfume is discontinued because the quality of the perfume is utterly irrelevant. 

I'm not saying Chapman has hit that low point yet, but the figurehead of a guitar brand which is so dependant for sales on goodwill towards him needs to be far more careful than your average CEO to not lose it. 
    Can't argue with that last bit. We should all be more professional with our professional social media. 

But on the first bit dislikes count as engagement are are just as valued as likes. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited January 2020
    https://m.facebook.com/officialrobchapman/posts/1529054063800648?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2F

I could understand crowdfunding to replace gear vital for a bands tour to go on- they may face bankruptcy or worse if they are unable to finish

Not sure sure about replacing drones, MacBooks and cameras though 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10452
    tFB Trader
    Oil City Pickups response video inbound...
    Nooooooooo way :-) Nobody want's to see my ugly mug pontificating on anything other than magnets and wire ... and that's the way I like to keep it.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Nooooooooo way :-) Nobody want's to see my ugly mug pontificating on anything other than magnets and wire ... and that's the way I like to keep it.

Just get some abrasive loud mouth to do the video for you. @poopot is good at that sort of stuff :D
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

Just get some abrasive loud mouth to do the video for you. Rob Chapman is good at that sort of stuff :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    https://m.facebook.com/officialrobchapman/posts/1529054063800648?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2F

I could understand crowdfunding to replace gear vital for a bands tour to go on- they may face bankruptcy or worse if they are unable to finish

Yeah I don't get it tbh. You're either insured or not and I think it's a naff thing to do asking for cash but if people want to throw money at them I guess it's their prerogative. 

Didn't Dave Simpson's fans buy him a '62 Strat?

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited January 2020
    soma1975 said:

Yeah I don't get it tbh. You're either insured or not and I think it's a naff thing to do asking for cash but if people want to throw money at them I guess it's their prerogative. 

They did but they're fans as you say. It's no different to buying merch or a ticket to a gig of someone you like, that money (or part of it) ends up with the person you're a fan of.

So saying his fans bought him a strat is no different to saying fans bought any artist everything they own albeit this was in a more direct way.

To go back on topic though none of us as far as i'm aware know any of these people Rob etc so we're basing on hearsay etc which seems daft.
  • King85 said:
    soma1975 said:

They did but they're fans as you say. It's no different to buying merch or a ticket to a gig of someone you like, that money (or part of it) ends up with the person you're a fan of.

So saying his fans bought him a strat is no different to saying fans bought any artist everything they own albeit this was in a more direct way.

To go back on topic though none of us as far as i'm aware know any of these people Rob etc so we're basing on hearsay etc which seems daft.
    Waaaaait a minute

If a fan is purchasing music, tickets or merch then there is a transaction going on- their money for goods and services

This is charity. It’s completely different t
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I know the world has moved on but in the entitled 2010s and 2020s it seems the done thing to just outright ask for money for things you'd like to have. 

Unless you are Rabea in which case people keep 'mysteriously' buying or giving you free guitars and I'm certain they expect zero in return for them. 

None of that side of things sits well with me but it is what it is. 

I think there's a few on here that have a connection to Rob. 

• King85 said:
    soma1975 said:

Waaaaait a minute

If a fan is purchasing music, tickets or merch then there is a transaction going on- their money for goods and services

This is charity. It’s completely different t
    Well, I guess you could think of it in terms of the fact that most of their fans aren't going to gigs at all - the content they want is video, which is why so many of them were asking if they could help. No gear = no videos, so the fans chipped in to make that happen.
    <space for hire>
This discussion has been closed.