Chapman Youtube Drama Continues...

What's Hot

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Rob can't roll his Rs so all his Grrrrrreeeeetings are done by Tony The Tiger
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22862
    tone1 said:
    mgaw said:
    will there be a movie?
    Yeah, Ricky Tomlinson will play Chappers  B)
    I was thinking Ricky Gervais in full Brent mode.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Philly_Q said:
    tone1 said:
    mgaw said:
    will there be a movie?
    You bastard. That's all I can see now  :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    there's been a few things over the years that have raised red flags, i had one incident personally with him that left a bad taste in my mouth, nothing major but enough to make me wary.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7107
    there's been a few things over the years that have raised red flags, i had one incident personally with him that left a bad taste in my mouth, nothing major but enough to make me wary.
    wanna tell us?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3291
    tFB Trader
    Wonder if he's got a Baldrick like cunning plan to get himself out the crap

Funny read so far even if I still don't really get what's going on
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5263
    quite a scary image that one incident, your mouth, a bad taste, and rc
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Spit next time. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7107

I'm struggling to follow most of it, but I'd be lying if I said I weren't emotionally invested somehow, I just can' work out ...er....how

I doubt anyone in this thread could succintly summarise what it is that Chappers has actually done wrong
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Philly_Q said:
    tone1 said:
    mgaw said:
    will there be a movie?
    The great thing is that you could make a Chappers movie with the same cast.

Rabea seems to play the same role in Robs life as Dom Johnson (talented sidekick).

The sound engineer guy could play Lee Anderton.

The mildly bemused session musicians can all take turns playing Danish Pete.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:

I'm struggling to follow most of it, but I'd be lying if I said I weren't emotionally invested somehow, I just can' work out ...er....how

I doubt anyone in this thread could succintly summarise what it is that Chappers has actually done wrong
    Well to start with... he, he did that thing that... mmm no. Or what about the time he did that thing, no the other thing.... mmmm no. Oh oh wait I got one, there was that time, remember when he.... no. 

@Danielsguitars i hoped that helped :D
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3291
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:

Well to start with... he, he did that thing that... mmm no. Or what about the time he did that thing, no the other thing.... mmmm no. Oh oh wait I got one, there was that time, remember when he.... no. 

@Danielsguitars i hoped that helped :D
    Clear as mud but still a good laugh
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Philtre said:
    RC seems like a decent fellow and has worked hard to get his business off the ground. I just can't help thinking he'd make a good Viz character.

"Rob Chappers. He Plays like the Clappers." or some tag line like that.

In this cartoon strip everything is turned towards Chappers and his ego.

He's walking down the street (with his chums, The "Chaptain" and Chabea) when he passes a Big Issue seller. "Big Issue. sir?"

"Greeeetings!" exclaims our hero. "No, my good man, I have a better idea. You must take the Chappers Challenge! I will donate one of my BS-1 electric guitars to your good self and you will appear in my YouTube video whilst proclaiming how charitable I am."

Then they go to the pub for a pint. "Fancy a Guinness, Chappers?" asks Chabea. "No, my Afro'd friend. I have a better idea. You must take the Chappers Challenge! I will donate..." and so on...

Any decent cartoonists here?

Paulo's cartoons are very much missed on here.  :( As to the rest of the post, it reminds me very much of this, which wasn't with a Big Issue seller, but a busker:

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    edited January 2020
    Quite honestly, I'm surprised that Rob didn't consider the Streisand Effect. This all started with a no-name wannabe deciding he could get some exposure by ragging on somebody popular - that's all it was. Yes, he might have had a few salient points, but most of that video was just innuendo and make-believe.

It's often a mark of success without recognition of the boundaries that come with it which results in folk thinking the Streisand Effect doesn't apply to them, but...there are now at least 10 videos out there about this, almost all of them on channels a few orders of magnitude larger than KDH's and who Rob won't be able to silence short of a court order (which would be extremely difficult and expensive to obtain, I think).

Rob's the one who torpedoed himself with all of this, and it was all so bloody unnecessary.

To be clear, I honestly don't think anybody's covered themselves in glory in this episode, no matter how right they think they are, and from my perspective it's just added another bunch of channels to the list of "YouTubers I'm never going to support". Riding the tail of something like this just to get more views and subscribers (and that's all it is, no matter how much some of them profess to hating doing that kind of video) simply makes me think much, much less of them.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t believe that’s ALL it is. 

Rob has always been a divisive figure, even in this forum, and it would make sense there would be some genuine pushback from other YouTubers after the discrepancies that arose from his “Truth” video

He really should have kept quiet 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Let’s see how far we can push this-

Rob Chapman doesn’t clean his windows
    Or recycle
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    soma1975 said:
    Exactly. He's done nothing at all that will stop the guitars being sold.

In fact one of the biggest criticisms that comes up in the videos is that they have done well enough that Guitar Center now stocks them, which is basically him now on Easy Street. 

Whatever Riff City say, they saw an opportunity, as did Chapman. There were no charities involved (in this argument at least!) Then Chapman saw a (presumably much much much) better opportunity. Even Lewis Hamilton had to sack his dad to get to the very very top. 

Reminds me of the people on TGP vowing never to buy another Catalinbread pedal after Howard the main designer left under acrimonious circumstances... Kept going on about how a boycott from the largest guitar forum online would destroy them, when in actual fact the entire membership of TGP would make up less than 0.1% of their global audience, let alone the people not in the boycott. 
    Yes but this is a character and a brand which never existed in isolation - it was created for and promoted exclusively by YouTube, so is therefore potentially destroyed by the YouTube community turning against it. 

Of course it's possible that thousands of people who've never heard of Rob Chapman will walk into Guitar Centers all over the US and buy Chapman guitars over PRS SE guitars purely on merit, but it seems more likely to me that they'll just fade away and by dropped in favour of something else. 

I would think GC are watching the backlash and like/dislike ratio with a degree of nervousness.

I don't think you can really say he's done nothing to stop the guitars being sold when even Chapman owners on this very forum are now resigned to plummeting resale values. 
  • tony99 said:
    Be successful?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:
    will there be a movie?
    Will the movie use stuntmen?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    edited January 2020
    p90fool said:
    soma1975 said:
    Exactly. He's done nothing at all that will stop the guitars being sold.

In fact one of the biggest criticisms that comes up in the videos is that they have done well enough that Guitar Center now stocks them, which is basically him now on Easy Street. 

Whatever Riff City say, they saw an opportunity, as did Chapman. There were no charities involved (in this argument at least!) Then Chapman saw a (presumably much much much) better opportunity. Even Lewis Hamilton had to sack his dad to get to the very very top. 

Reminds me of the people on TGP vowing never to buy another Catalinbread pedal after Howard the main designer left under acrimonious circumstances... Kept going on about how a boycott from the largest guitar forum online would destroy them, when in actual fact the entire membership of TGP would make up less than 0.1% of their global audience, let alone the people not in the boycott. 
    Yes but this is a character and a brand which never existed in isolation - it was created for and promoted exclusively by YouTube, so is therefore potentially destroyed by the YouTube community turning against it. 

Of course it's possible that thousands of people who've never heard of Rob Chapman will walk into Guitar Centers all over the US and buy Chapman guitars over PRS SE guitars purely on merit, but it seems more likely to me that they'll just fade away and by dropped in favour of something else. 

I would think GC are watching the backlash and like/dislike ratio with a degree of nervousness.

I don't think you can really say he's done nothing to stop the guitars being sold when even Chapman owners on this very forum are now resigned to plummeting resale values. 

At the risk of repeating myself, what has Rob Chapman done to stop his guitars being sold? Being egocentric? Shameless self-promotion and leaving one sales distribution deal in the US for a much better distribution deal? Like 90% of salesmen out there.

Everything else is people whining and piggybacking and making 'YOU BOUGHT YOUR SON A PRS' into a story which is supposed to be a) newsworthy and b) anyone else's business. 

Why would GC give a toss? They'll sell a lot more Chapmans than they ever would Rickenbackers and there's no talk of them getting dropped. I was led to believe he has a legion of nuthugging fans who will mobilise at his command and do whatever he says. 

Plummeting resale values are the nature of everything not Fender and Gibson. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
This discussion has been closed.