Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Van Halen fans look away ... :(

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Some great tracks on his solo efforts tbh.... Loved A little aint enough with jason Becker! Great bluesy playing from Jase on that...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    i have to say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when singers really struggle (and they must know it) but will still happily take people's money to come to shows. DLR isn;t the only one, Jon Bon Jovi is as bad, and David Coverdale. I suppose it's up to the audience whether they want to go or not, but it's like Diego Maradona charging £100 a pop to watch him waddle around and do the odd keepy-up

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • i have to say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when singers really struggle (and they must know it) but will still happily take people's money to come to shows. DLR isn;t the only one, Jon Bon Jovi is as bad, and David Coverdale. I suppose it's up to the audience whether they want to go or not, but it's like Diego Maradona charging £100 a pop to watch him waddle around and do the odd keepy-up
    BJ and DC are completely shot to hell. Along with DLR they need to be calling it a day 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull hired a kid to support him - I found that particularly hard to watch.

David Coverdale doesn't even look happy to be there, whereas Glenn Hughes is relishing every moment and sounds perfect. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Schnozz said:

David Coverdale doesn't even look happy to be there, whereas Glenn Hughes is relishing every moment and sounds perfect. 
    Hughes and Robert Plant must be some of the very few that actually sound better now they're older. I've never liked their voices, but both are much less grating now than they were back in the day, Plant especially.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Schnozz said:

Hughes and Robert Plant must be some of the very few that actually sound better now they're older. I've never liked their voices, but both are much less grating now than they were back in the day, Plant especially.
    Roger Daltrey pulled it off too i think.
    Ooooer.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10222
    Feel like things are easier for Plant these days as his bands ay old Zep songs in much lower keys. 
  • I saw DLR twice back in the day, not realising at the time that a lot of his moves were originally copied from Jim Dandy Magrum from Black Oak Arkansas, a great showman, even if the Mk2 DLR band Wembley Area shows with the boxing ring were a bit OTT (well, it was 1988).  The other who has done well to keep his voice in great shape IMO is Paul Rodgers, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He now sings like Rowley Birkin QC
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The other who has done well to keep his voice in great shape IMO is Paul Rodgers, 
    Absolutely agree there!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    I have to say I never liked DLR's singing; can't please all the people all of the time, I guess...
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    He's no better than when I saw him in Manchester around 15 years ago, the worst gig I ever saw. The only difference is he now looks like Zelda from The Terrahawks and not Doc Brown.
    The drummer was utter shite whoever he was, James Lomezo and the guy form Atomic Punks carried the band.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    I've seen DLR 3 times over the years, twice in his prime and once short haired. The guy has always loved a smoke and it's always showed in his performance .... you have to go a long way back to hear him song really well. To be fair though in his prime he was in the top ten front men of all time. 

Steven Tyler is singing better and higher than ever but he's got a good technique for breathing properly. Bel Conto technique or something similar 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • He's never pretended to be a great singer though....granted, it's not great on that first video, but I bet the audience who went had a good time. I think the ones shot down the front are going to pick up a monitor mix that make it sound worse than it actually is in terms of overall sound. I doubt DLR gives much of a shit apart from putting on a good show as per @Vaiai 's comment. The band are great....I think 'sloppy drumming' is slightly off the mark.
    I would love to have the opportunity to see it  rather than the happy clappy  ukulele tweeness that is so prevalent now. I watched a clip of the opening night  and the band sounded great , Dave was never a great singer ,it took him ages before they would even let him in the band in the early days ,they couldn’t stand him  but he persevered . I would sooner be there having 4 or five bottles of beer and watching the show than listening to another bunch of Mumford /swift/eilish wannabes 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    He's never pretended to be a great singer though....granted, it's not great on that first video, but I bet the audience who went had a good time. I think the ones shot down the front are going to pick up a monitor mix that make it sound worse than it actually is in terms of overall sound. I doubt DLR gives much of a shit apart from putting on a good show as per @Vaiai 's comment. The band are great....I think 'sloppy drumming' is slightly off the mark.
    I would love to have the opportunity to see it  rather than the happy clappy  ukulele tweeness that is so prevalent now. I watched a clip of the opening night  and the band sounded great , Dave was never a great singer ,it took him ages before they would even let him in the band in the early days ,they couldn’t stand him  but he persevered . I would sooner be there having 4 or five bottles of beer and watching the show than listening to another bunch of Mumford /swift/eilish wannabes 

spot on, my point precisely :)