Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Money for Nothing....... guitar sound

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ChesterChester Frets: 52
     The best MFN live cut i've come across. Excellent tone ... and if you're not wearing one of those suits with wide shoulder pads, you'll never get close  :'( :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zOjRlVpAOQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Voxman said:

Quite right @ICBM ;;; 're the later ranges..time playing tricks with my memory  the vc15 and gh were 95 not 85. But my best understanding is that the AO pro tube combo was different to the head? 
    It has reverb, but is otherwise the same.

[/sneaking in deliberate Dire Straits reference]

The game commences...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:

Quite right @ICBM ;;; 're the later ranges..time playing tricks with my memory  the vc15 and gh were 95 not 85. But my best understanding is that the AO pro tube combo was different to the head? 
    It has reverb, but is otherwise the same.

I have to say I have no idea why they seem to have something of a following/value now - they were shit then, and they still are. Dreadful build quality from the flimsy PCBs to the chipboard cabinets and horrible tolex, unreliable and really not great sounding. How Knopfler managed to get the MFN tone out of one, even with a wah, random mic placement and pure luck, is a mystery to me...

[/sneaking in deliberate Dire Straits reference]

If I had to choose between one and a Linebacker, I would take the Linebacker - really.
    That is truly Agressively Ugly
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    The amps Knopfler used from Love Over Gold through to early BIA sessions were MkII Boogies - on stage they were played through Marshall 4x12s with EV speakers. He then moved on to Jim Kellys. He didn’t start using Soldanos until around 1988 - the only studio DS album they are on is On Every Street. 

That said, I haven’t a clue what he used on Money For Nothing. As guitar sounds go, I’m not that keen on it, if I’m honest.