NGD: PRS McCarty with rosewood neck

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3751
edited January 2020 in Guitar
I'm a self-confessed serial roller.  Some profits, some losses.  I enjoy trying new guitars, messing around with them for a while, usually selling ot trading them on.  I've tried so many guitars in the last few years, which has ultimately helped me work out what I wanted in respect of custom builds (2 x Williams).  In that huge pile of guitars which I've moved on in the last two or three years, many were PRS, the first being a 2000 McCarty with moons.  It sounded wonderful but I found the lacquered neck a bit sticky, and I really prefer birds to moons.  Having also owned two Modern Eagle Quatros and a Modern Eagle singlecut, I'd put a McCarty with birds and a rosewood neck quite high on my wants list, a bit of a Holy Grail guitar.  And, now, I have one (don't ask for how long but it feels like it might be a keeper)...it's also a 2000, this time in dark cherry sunburst.

It arrived with a terrible set-up unfortunately, a bit dirty and way worse tarnishing than I expected (so much for in-store set-up cleaning):

Some Silvo and a lot of rubbing later...

Scrubbed up brilliantly and the rosewood neck is divine.  I also think the stock pick-ups are perfect.  Switched the knobs for some lampshades to finish the look.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NIce Score, was it from Guitar Guitar??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NIce Score, was it from Guitar Guitar??
    @SimpleSimon ;It was indeed.

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited January 2020
    Hmm i've had a few arrive in similar states from them. 

Looks stonking though and has cleaned up very well indeed. 

Stupid question time: Does it have single or double dots on the 12 fret? Is the headstock angled back and thin or straightish and fat? Only asking as I own two beautiful '99 McCartys - a McBurst and a McSoapie and I know they changed spec at some stage so some of the original Mccarty quirks were lost over time. I've found the 'older' ones to be more to my personal liking. The McCarty is pretty much my perfect guitar. If I could have a DGT with a McCarty neck profile that is.

• @SimpleSimon It's birds, no dots.  I'll have to check when I get home, re: the angle/thickness.

Neck profile is a nice simple wide-fat, which is perfect for me.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Was enquiring regards the side dots rather than fretboard Moons/birds, the older McCartys have a quirk in so far as its a single dot at the twelfth fret rather than regular two dots......

• @SimpleSimon Pretty sure it’s one dot. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    The one guitar I regret selling was a 1998 McRosie.  SN 8 40898 if anyone has it.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27524
    RW necks *are* the best.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    RW necks *are* the best.
    I pretty much don’t like any necks other then oiled. Baked maple, birds eye maple, rosewood, etc. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Was enquiring regards the side dots rather than fretboard Moons/birds, the older McCartys have a quirk in so far as its a single dot at the twelfth fret rather than regular two dots......

All the older PRS have a single dot.  Really used to annoy me.  Not quite sure when they switch to two but a definite improvement when they did.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Was enquiring regards the side dots rather than fretboard Moons/birds, the older McCartys have a quirk in so far as its a single dot at the twelfth fret rather than regular two dots......

All the older PRS have a single dot.  Really used to annoy me.  Not quite sure when they switch to two but a definite improvement when they did.
    I truly have never noticed anything like that on a guitar.  The off-the-shelf Williams I bought has only dot markers on the side, with no fret markers, and that really throws me.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    That's lovely... When's it going in classifieds ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:
    That's lovely... When's it going in classifieds ?
    Give it 28 days. After that, it’s fair game!

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Sweeeeeeet!
  • Hmm i've had a few arrive in similar states from them. 

Stupid question time: Does it have single or double dots on the 12 fret? Is the headstock angled back and thin or straightish and fat? Only asking as I own two beautiful '99 McCartys - a McBurst and a McSoapie and I know they changed spec at some stage so some of the original Mccarty quirks were lost over time. I've found the 'older' ones to be more to my personal liking. The McCarty is pretty much my perfect guitar. If I could have a DGT with a McCarty neck profile that is.
    @SimpleSimon the headstock is angled back and thin.  What a waste of rosewood :o   

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874

Wow, you did a good job getting the tarnish off those metal parts!  PRS nickel plating seems to tarnish so easily I don't bother trying to fight it (although mine hasn't got mould-like splotches like the top two pictures).

Lovely guitar by the way, and here I am going on about tarnish...

• crunchman said:

Didnt realise ALL the older PRS guitars had the same quirk, that makes sense. I reckon it was early 2000's when they switched. I quite like the single dot myself.

• Hmm i've had a few arrive in similar states from them. 

@SimpleSimon the headstock is angled back and thin.  What a waste of rosewood :o   
    It wouldnt be the same with a scarf joint ;)

• It wouldnt be the same with a scarf joint ;)
    Long conversation and controversial! I guess sustainability wasn’t so much a factor then? I don’t imagine it affects tone...

My band, Red For Dissent
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    Looks great after a scale and polish :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom