Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: Sunglasses needed....back to the 80s

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4169
    edited January 2020
    @ICBM - that G160XL was the exact same model I had.  You're right about the clean channel - I had the amp from my teenage years and it lasted well into my 20's as a power amp for an ADA MP-1 I got for buttons off a colleague.  It had a decent spring reverb tank to boot.

The red channel was deffo of its time, as you say.  There were better sounds to be had from the ADA, that's for sure.  It eventually failed somewhere in the power amp with DC on the speaker jack - you helped me diagnose it and, in the end, the chassis went to the tip.

I kept the cab and made a new baffle for it, and still use it now, 28 years on, as a cab for my Mesa head.  I never realised the speaker was an EV - I like the sound of it and it's still trucking.

I'm probably being a bit hard on it; from the days when guitar amps were either unaffordable or crap, it did the job.  It was loud and reliable but very, very heavy and most modern low-end tranny amps or modellers would kick its distortion channel well into touch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Looks awesome, although I wouldn't want one myself. Great looking guitar
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Is it called a White Punks On Dope Special ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback