Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Really BBC ? Really ???

What's Hot

Comments

• kurokuro Frets: 26
    The main thing I remember him for was the rape of the hotel maid and his subsequent public bullying of her. The story didn't begin to go away until he paid her off to keep himself out of prison.
    It's the other people on the flight I feel sorry for, he's no loss to humanity.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    Their main headline is usually the freshest news, it doesn’t mean it’ll be at the top again tomorrow. I don’t think the fact that they’re putting this story above the Coronavirus story means it’s any more or less important. 
    This.  It's a big story because it's the unexpected and tragic death of a very famous person.  And yes I have heard of him although the NBA doesn't interest me in the slightest.

It's on the front pages of most of the UK papers tomorrow as well.  Why rant at the BBC?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    And they say the British aren’t insular.

What do you mean... 'they say'???

Are you suggesting there are actual living beings outside of this sceptred isle?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    He was one of probably 4 world famous basketball players the last 30 years, the others being Lebron James, Shaq and Michael Jordan. I'm not a basketball fan (I've honestly never watched a whole game) but I don't think it's unreasonable that an untimely death makes the top story.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I had a whole reply typed out but I couldn’t be arsed to explain it. So I’ve deleted it. 

In short - if you can’t understand why one of the greatest basketball players of all time, a role model to millions and notable personality shouldn’t get a brief headline when he passes away in extremely tragic circumstances then I suggest that you are in the minority. Now stop being an argumentative twunt and show some fucking respect.
    Can’t give enough wisdoms for this. @Emp_Fab, you may be carb low and angry, but just because you haven’t heard of someone doesn’t mean they aren’t famous. Give it a break. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Never heard of him, but that doesn't make it less tragic.

On the other hand it won't stop the odd off the cuff "joke" about the situation, but then again we're British and that's how we cope.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    I wager I know already what the lead story will be on Friday....
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I wager I know already what the lead story will be on Friday....

You would probably win - unless the Queen croaks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    I have to admit that I’d never heard of him. Larry Bird, Michael Jordan I’d heard of. He sounds like he was a pretty amazing Human Being...RIP
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Would you be saying the same thing if it was a famous celebrity you knew – and admired – but others hadn’t?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    He is probably the 2nd most famous NBA player behind Michael Jordon.

I think you mean Magic Johnston
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:

Shaq?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    What does "Show some fucking respect" even mean?  Of course it's a tragedy that the guy has died.  It's also a tragedy that the helicopter pilot has died - where's the 'fucking respect' for him ?  He/she doesn't even get a mention!
    Imagine losing your partner in an accident that was only in the news because of someone else that died in the same vehicle.  "Respect" - don't make me laugh.

Regardless - it's a lame 'appeal to emotion' response when the subject is why the BBC chose to rate a story about the death of one man as being of greater importance than a critical and worrying discovery about a virus that's spreading now that could potentially wipe out millions.

It's got nothing to do with this chap - this is about what the media consider to be important and what they consider to be less important.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    <snip>
    It's got nothing to do with this chap - this is about what the media consider to be important and what they consider to be less important.

It's not just the BBC, though. His death is on the front page of half the papers this morning. Some as the headline, some as a small box. One or two papers prefer to trumpet their own campaigns, or regurgitate promo for the PM and ignore both Kobe and the virus. 

We get the media we deserve. It's not what they think is important that gets on the front page. That would be their continued profitable existence and ability to influence events. They're putting what they believe we want from them in their papers.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    tony99 said:

Shaq?
    love Shaq baby
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    T.B.H.  I was not too interested until i heard his 13 yr old daughter and one of her friends also died. This is what has stuck in my mind. I don't know why it just has. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    <snip>

It's not just the BBC, though. His death is on the front page of half the papers this morning. Some as the headline, some as a small box. One or two papers prefer to trumpet their own campaigns, or regurgitate promo for the PM and ignore both Kobe and the virus. 

We get the media we deserve. It's not what they think is important that gets on the front page. That would be their continued profitable existence and ability to influence events. They're putting what they believe we want from them in their papers.
    And I'd prefer to read about a childhood hero of mine and others than scaremongering about bat-blood-food-flu pandemics.

I know right! What a simple minded retard I am!

Bye!

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    It just goes to confirm, once you get rich and famous, do not ever get into a helicopter. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJO said:
    T.B.H.  I was not too interested until i heard his 13 yr old daughter and one of her friends also died. This is what has stuck in my mind. I don't know why it just has. 
    Yes it's tragic. I read about that last night whilst putting (trying) my kid to sleep. Obviously it plays on the mind.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom