Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Really BBC ? Really ???

What's Hot

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    robgilmo said:
    King85 said:

But you wouldn't understand as you take pride in ''not knowing who he was'' and assuming that you're in majority. 
    The most cringe part of this all is that he probably does know who he is though...

And people bringing up the rape case, dear God...
    Sorry, no , your right, forget about him raping a 19 year old girl , lets concentrate on what a great guy he was instead.
    When was he convicted of that? The criminal case was dropped when the accuser didn't want to testify and a lack of further evidence...

Then a year later she filed a civil case where ding ding ding you guessed it the only outcome for her is a financial one so why would he go through that dragging it out for what could be years, losing money, time, sponsorship etc when he can just settle with her with no admission of guilt, he's rich and it saves himself and his family dragging it out. You might say oh well if he was innocent then he should have fought it but we can't comment on that until we ourselves are in that position and have had people who know what they're talking about and fully understand the situation explain it all to us.

Two people were in that room and know what happened and that's it but personally I can't fathom why she wouldn't go through with the criminal trial but maybe we can say she was too traumatized by such a horrific event.

Lets she what she's got to say about it via some comedy rap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m2d7QAIX8Q

Very traumatized by the look of it.

The only court Kobe was convicted in was the media one when they had a chance to churn out article after article making whatever unfounded accusations they wanted regardless of accuracy or truth in order to cash in.

The media is there to make money, not report on topics factually. Please don't ever forget that and don't bandwagon with them without questioning their intent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I make no bones about what I'm really disappointed with. I recognise Mr Bryant as having had a huge influence, and I'm sure he has done lots of good. However there's no denying that sources like the BBC place too much importance on popular culture, and more or less abdicate their responsibility to educate. I'm betting that Leonard Cohen's death didn't make quite so many waves, yes arguably he had far more influence and did far more good. I guess the tangible tragedies will always make the biggest headlines.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    I'm not into basketball, but I do follow the NFL.  There have been a lot of allegations of sexual misconduct against NFL players - most of which have never made it anywhere near a courtroom.  Some of them are genuine, and I don't doubt that a few women have settled out of court to avoid the trauma of a trial, but it's hard to avoid thinking some of them are gold diggers.  From memory, I think one or two of them had a history of making spurious claims.  Sportsmen of that profile are targets - and Bryant was on a different level to most of the NFL players I know of.

That's not to belittle the issue, and when it is proved, the perpetrator needs to go away for a long time (Darren Sharper).

We don't know what went on in this situation, but I'm not sure it's right to come on a forum and assert that he raped a girl, when the legal system didn't find any proof of that.  Worst case, it's slander/libel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
    Emp_Fab said:
    <snip>
    It's got nothing to do with this chap - this is about what the media consider to be important and what they consider to be less important.

It's not just the BBC, though. His death is on the front page of half the papers this morning. Some as the headline, some as a small box. One or two papers prefer to trumpet their own campaigns, or regurgitate promo for the PM and ignore both Kobe and the virus. 

We get the media we deserve. It's not what they think is important that gets on the front page. That would be their continued profitable existence and ability to influence events. They're putting what they believe we want from them in their papers.
    And I'd prefer to read about a childhood hero of mine and others than scaremongering about bat-blood-food-flu pandemics.

I know right! What a simple minded retard I am!
    Exactly. There will be more people identifying with Kobe and their memories of him than people identifying with sick people in China they don't know anything about. e. 
    So that's the mark now is it?  Whether people can "identify" with the victim as to whether the story is important?  I know I don't have a great opinion of humanity in general but even I think you've set that bar unfairly low.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    The media isn't gonna pass up the chance to put out a story millions care about.
    Just cos I've never heard of him doesn't mean he's a nobody.
    I'd barely heard of Harry and Megs yet they're still headline news - apparently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • News is not news any more, it's social media clickbait.
    "it's important because people identify with it."
    WT A F?
    It's all algorithms, no need for any human decision.
    Flat earthers, vapour trails, evangelical saviours - we're fucked.
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited January 2020
    Kobe's death is big news. Like it or not.

If you have no idea who he is then your favourite sportsperson/athlete does. And it's a pretty surefire bet that they idolise the man.

Think if it's big enough to make headline news, it's probably because the person in question is headline worthy. Just because you're too ignorant to care doesn't mean others are.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    It was the correct emphasis for the news on the day. Nuff said
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Well, I would argue it didn't have the correct emphasis. But it's self-fulfilling. If that's all that is presented, then that's all people will care about. I think media should have more of a duty of care, but I understand why people would argue against that.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I think a lot of people who have made comments here should take a long hard look at themselves. Bryant is an icon of his profession, and an idol to many. And not just in sports.

Even if you have no idea who it is, a 41 year old man and his teenage daughter have had their lives cut short in one of the most horrific ways I could imagine.

Show some respect.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    <snip>
    It's got nothing to do with this chap - this is about what the media consider to be important and what they consider to be less important.

It's not just the BBC, though. His death is on the front page of half the papers this morning. Some as the headline, some as a small box. One or two papers prefer to trumpet their own campaigns, or regurgitate promo for the PM and ignore both Kobe and the virus. 

We get the media we deserve. It's not what they think is important that gets on the front page. That would be their continued profitable existence and ability to influence events. They're putting what they believe we want from them in their papers.
    And I'd prefer to read about a childhood hero of mine and others than scaremongering about bat-blood-food-flu pandemics.

I know right! What a simple minded retard I am!
    Exactly. There will be more people identifying with Kobe and their memories of him than people identifying with sick people in China they don't know anything about. e. 
    So that's the mark now is it?  Whether people can "identify" with the victim as to whether the story is important?  I know I don't have a great opinion of humanity in general but even I think you've set that bar unfairly low.
    Me? I don't see why you think that - other than you're in an angry mood about this and seem to need someone to hit out at. My comment doesn't agree with that point of view on a personal level, merely tries to explain that this is the way the media (see my first comment above) might judge what should or should not be the main story on a particular day. 

I'm not setting any bars. The media might be. Your perspective on this is a bit skewed, I fear.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    I think a lot of people who have made comments here should take a long hard look at themselves. Bryant is an icon of his profession, and an idol to many. And not just in sports.

Even if you have no idea who it is, a 41 year old man and his teenage daughter have had their lives cut short in one of the most horrific ways I could imagine.

Show some respect.

Oh stop being so pompous, a load of other people died around the world on the same day that you don't give a shite about, some of them on the same damn helicopter. 

His death caused a brief flurry of interest and topped the news stories in the UK very briefly as it probably should, now we can all go back to ignoring US domestic sports. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I think a lot of people who have made comments here should take a long hard look at themselves. Bryant is an icon of his profession, and an idol to many. And not just in sports.

Show some respect.

Oh stop being so pompous, a load of other people died around the world on the same day that you don't give a shite about, some of them on the same damn helicopter. 

His death caused a brief flurry of interest and topped the news stories in the UK very briefly as it probably should, now we can all go back to ignoring US domestic sports. 
    <insert the line here>

Bye!

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    Respect a rapist?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • p90fool said:

Show some respect.

Aye, many people die each day. I don't start threads on guitar forums saying how I don't care or how people should care about other things more. That person that died is somebody's somebody.

Surely that is worth more than a sarcastic snide remark on an internet forum hoping to score some meaningless points.
  • Some right thick twats here.

Bye!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    To be fair the rape case is brought up in many of the same articles that gave news of his death.

The articles were along the lines of 'this guy was great at basketball and he did so and so record. There was a rape case but charges were dropped'. 
    The average person wouldn't really think anything of that. If any thoughts occurred they would probably be more along the lines of "charges were dropped? She probably made it all up". 

Read a bit more though and you find that he admits it happened, but claims that he thought it was consensual. Then the focus is on him with his wife and child by his side, apologising for adultery. As though to say this is a guy that is fallible and can make errors but he'll admit them. He did a bad thing but not that bad.
    So at a casual glance most people can understand that. Things happen don't they?
    She agreed to go in to a hotel room with him alone. She says she only agreed to kiss on his bed, but that he then started to grope her.
    Again here you're thinking "well that's just what happens isn't it? First you're kissing, then you touch her up, then you start doing it. What did she think was going to happen? This is ludicr... Oh what?"

Authorities said the woman was examined at a hospital the day after the encounter and had injuries “not consistent with consensual sex.”

She also had a small bruise on her jawline and her blood was found on the T-shirt Bryant wore on the night of the incident, cops said.

Well shit, that's a bit of a red flag. Let me just read back here, I'm sure there's some explanation. Yeah it was the day after, so she could have hurt herself and framed no wait there's her blood on his shirt.

Now I'm 50 pages deep in Google trying to make excuses for this guy, but I'm coming up short. What I'm coming away with is a mid 20s guy, very talented and very famous, making a lot of money for himself and some of the world's biggest companies and will be for years to come. 19 year old makes some allegations which could see him in prison for life, so in the best interest of everyone's money she needs to go away. 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    edited January 2020
    p90fool said:

Show some respect.

Aye, many people die each day. I don't start threads on guitar forums saying how I don't care or how people should care about other things more. That person that died is somebody's somebody.

Surely that is worth more than a sarcastic snide remark on an internet forum hoping to score some meaningless points.
    Was Emp saying he didn't care about the mans death? Or was he saying that the BBC should have other, more pressing things to report, thus commenting on the state of society and how we hold celebrity's with such high regard? Or, that the media when reporting important things to the general public do so by deciding whats important to us?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmo said:
    p90fool said:

Show some respect.

Was Emp saying he didn't care about the mans death? Or was he saying that the BBC should have other, more pressing things to report, thus commenting on the state of society and how we hold celebrity's with such high regard? Or, that the media when reporting important things to the general public do so by deciding whats important to us?
    I don't think they care so much what's important to us, no.

What they do care about is what's new. As this Coronavirus news has been front page news for at least the past 10 days, I doubt it's as "new" news than the death of a sporting megastar literally hours before. The horrific shock nature of it will only compound the news. You can debate yourself whether someone who has had an impact on so many lives deserves such an obituary.
  • No-one makes you only read the headlines and slavishly follow the BBC and whatever red or blue newspaper is local to you. You could all try being intelligent adults and read some worthwhile stuff once in a while? You can literally do it any time! There are white papers galore out there and many other news sources.

But you pig bangers would rather play dumb and whinge about it than actually do anything constructive.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom