Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Where do you go to find new music?

What's Hot
Big classic rock fan but sick of listening to the same songs over and over. 

How do you discover new music.  Every radio station seems to have a copy of the same greatest hits cd they play on a loop
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a sneaky listen to my 13 yr old daughter’s Spotify playlists.  Loads of music I haven’t heard of before and somewhat surprisingly, she seems to have pretty interesting taste in music.

It really freaks her out when she catches me listening to music she likes. Which of course is very amusing and satisfying.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19049
    Internet radio. Just browse until you find something you haven't heard or that you like.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    YouTube recommended videos, for example I was watching some Marcus King the other day then a band called Dirty Honeys autoplayed straight after - who are really good.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Only music thing I listen to is Cerys Matthews of a Sunday on Radio 6.
    She plays a good mix of stuff, no heavy metal though.
    (Which is fine by me).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2020
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • top 100 of the year lists of respected music critics are a good place to start, even if only 10 songs out of the top 100 catch you you might find 10 new artists with whole back catalogues to get into!  
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • My Sons play lists and Radio 6, especially Cerys on Sunday Mornings.

• Spotify- I use the "radio" function on a song I like & see where it takes me. That's how I discovered Kvelertak and Russian Circles. 
    I also use the "new tracks" in whatever genre I'm after. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1101
    edited February 2020
    highly recommend Khruangbin:

• blobbblobb Frets: 3023
    I like to find out about a band I'm into. What other bands were the members in, who were their influences, etc.. It's surprising how far you can deviate from the source, sort of connects everything together in a way too. Bit like one of those family tree things. Takes you on journeys, I'm diving into dutch music at the moment but I've been all around the world. You can go on several journeys at the same time and I've got a mate who does the same thing, he sends me all sorts of strange stuff he digs up.

I'll start you off with Alquin.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • University radio stations have been a great source of "non corporate" music programming here in Canada.   Usually they will have shows at specific times that feature artists that are not on commercial radio yet.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Jools Holland on TV

KEXP on Youtube.

Between the two of those I have found so many amazing new artists in the past few years.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    LPManic said:
    Me too, one of my favourite bands of today for sure.
  • 6music shows: Cerys, The Freak Zone and Iggy Pop's show. 

Radio3: Freeness (good for weird jazz stuff)

Mostly though, www.bandcamp.com have a good line in articles as well as being a platform for independent artists and small lables etc.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    edited February 2020
    I have a Deezer (streaming service, like Spotify) account, so that recommends stuff for me based on what I like. It's also great for checking out things I've heard about without having to shell out for an album I may not like.

There used to be an internet radio station called Pandora that, based on what you told it you liked, found other stuff for you - it worked on things like key, tempo, etc rather than just genre: it used to throw stuff up that I'd never even heard of, but very rarely gave  me anything I didn't like. I had to stop using it because it went US only, so if it does still exist you'd need to use a proxy, but it's well worth checking out if it's still going 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• thegummy said:
    LPManic said:
    Me too, one of my favourite bands of today for sure.
    The bass player is getting on my wick a bit with her gyrations. The drummer sounds so metronomic, but apparently it's better than that. They sound so tight and yet the BPM does vary apparently.

I get my new music from Spotify, R6, the NPR tiny desk stuff and the KXPR (?) stuff on YouTube.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8029
    Radio 6.  I particularly enjoy Marc Riley.  If I can’t catch it live, I’ll catch-up via the Sounds App. 
    Radio 6 is full of great shows.  My wife listens to Magic radio.  A droning repetitive playlist of mediocrity, peppered with advert after advert. I can’t bear it. 

Off the top of my head, some of my favourite (new to me) artists of last year. 
    Jesca Hoop
    Weyes Blood
    idles
    Pozi 
    Richard Dawson
    Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs
    White Denim
    Fat White Family
    Fionn Regan
    Tame Impala
    Girl Ray
    Boxer Rebellion
    Alasdair Roberts
    Tropical Fuck Storm

Almost all through Radio 6!  Bought a lot of new Vinyl last year!  I stream music (Apple) through my HiFi, but also like to physically own it. 

Also got some great recommendations through a thread on this very site, but had to filter out a lot of generic sounding ‘metal’.....

a lot of my friends stopped listening to new music in the 90’s.  was bewildered by this. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    edited February 2020
    6 Music in general is very good. A pretty eclectic mix of music for most tastes/ages apart from those wanting modern/chart pop music.

Using Spotify I also like the "FANS ALSO LIKE" button/page, it will frequently take you to some new stuff of a similar genre.

KEXP have great sessions/videos!
  • Spotify radio. Loads of new music rabbit holes to go down.