Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Where do you go to find new music?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Planet Rock has a 'New Rock' show, Monday 10pm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Noisetrade website - lots of unknown independent artists (and well known names actually) give their albums away for free download.
    I've discovered some great music on there
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Mostly from games, same as ever. Taking pieces like this...

And turning it into arrangements like this (not me)...

• rlwrlw Frets: 4738
    Americana Boogie Radio
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Jools Later & Radio

Planet Rock

Absolute Classic Rock

Jazz FM
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Woolworths reduced shelf or our price bargain bin .

failing that YouTube or communities or publications that deal with my specific listening interests .
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tenebrous said:

Without knowing it at the time, one of my biggest musical influences growing up were the programmed music from Nintendo and Sega games. Some of them were just so amazing with how emotional the melodies were from such simple sources.

Find it a bit of a shame that things "progressed" to where games have basically full on film scores with either orchestras or complex mixes of synths with effects etc.

No doubt there's still some great music in some games but it just isn't the same as when it was all done on very basic chip synths and it was just the genius of the composers making the most of them.

Something that I'm sure anyone who's interested in music would find interesting is the Streets of Rage music and how influential that was in the world of dance music - look it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    Tenebrous said:

Without knowing it at the time, one of my biggest musical influences growing up were the programmed music from Nintendo and Sega games. Some of them were just so amazing with how emotional the melodies were from such simple sources.

Find it a bit of a shame that things "progressed" to where games have basically full on film scores with either orchestras or complex mixes of synths with effects etc.

No doubt there's still some great music in some games but it just isn't the same as when it was all done on very basic chip synths and it was just the genius of the composers making the most of them.

Something that I'm sure anyone who's interested in music would find interesting is the Streets of Rage music and how influential that was in the world of dance music - look it up.

I agree entirely. For more recent releases, it's hard to beat the 8-bit indie stuff. There's some awesome guitar covers of Shovel Knight tunes, for example...

A video game music band is still the dream for me =)

• bullybully Frets: 5
    Great question - and honestly for years I struggled with new music (looking at my "most played" of spotify, up till a year ago for about 3-4 years a good 70% of the playlist was identical, with the other 30% just shifting for a couple of years either side of it).

When I got back into guitar after a hefty break - spotify rabbit holes was the first. Plenty of playlists, and just go down the "other artists". That certainly helped me find a good few artists that I've really fallen in love with.

Another is youtube - various guitar channels that feature bands (things like rig rundown) - pop those up on spotify and sometimes that leads to some gold. Listening to people talk about techniques and inspiration, I'll usually pause and look up who they are referring to.

Its honestly much the same as most people - but I feel like there is some method to the madness/randomness of it,
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tenebrous said:

I agree entirely. For more recent releases, it's hard to beat the 8-bit indie stuff. There's some awesome guitar covers of Shovel Knight tunes, for example...

Pretty decent.

One of my favourite games for music was Chrono Trigger, ever heard that?

Let's do it - I'm on bass ;)
    thegummy said:
    Tenebrous said:

Pretty decent.

One of my favourite games for music was Chrono Trigger, ever heard that?

Let's do it - I'm on bass ;)

Big JRPG fan, especially the SNES/PS1 era. I always preferred FFVI to CT, but the latter is still a superb game.