Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Where do you go to find new music?

What's Hot

Comments

• I check the new releases on Apple Music every Friday. I read reviews on pitchfork etc recently angry metal guy etc for metal albums. KEXP for me too. And occasionally, in small doses,  https://youtu.be/upkfmifpZ4I 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2918
    Spotify and YouTube mainly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 888
    I often find stuff on the premier guitar rig run downs. If it looks like a band I might like I go find them!

Often smaller / beginning US acts that arent played here. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    YouTube rabbit holes are my main source of new music. Although that's "new" to me, not necessarily contemporary. A fair amount of it can be from the 1930's onwards. 
  • KEXP and BBC 6 Music
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8812
    My divorced mate Al, who seems to spend his entire existence on Youtube.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My son's Tidal playlist every Wednesday night when we have a "bonding trip" to a remote Tesco. 6 music, late night Jazz FM / Classic FM. The best thing I've heard this year though is " Been around" by A girl called Eddy that was on in HMV one lunchtime when I called in to kill 5 minutes at lunchtime.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2020
    I listen to Radio 3 or Classic FM. I am drawn to musicians rather than particular composers. For example - the incredible Rachel Podger.
    And I read gossip about rising stars in Nashville. Molly Tuttle playing a Dreadnought has me reaching for my Les Paul, because great music is inspiring.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7090
    tFB Trader
    I'm still catching up on old music. I discover a new (to me) band only to find that they've split.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Spotify and YouTube mainly.
    Same!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    6 music can be great, especially in "off peak" hours.

One of my favourite things I found through 6 music was so obscure, when I sent the official YouTube link to my mate to recommend it, it had zero views before I found it.

Sometimes though, particularly in the prime time hours, I find it can be a bit "middle aged host proving how cool they are by knowing all the classics" (last time I put it on they were playing jimmi's star spangled banner performance).

I'm sure it's not as cynical as that, it's just not so good for finding new stuff so I say put 6 music on outside the big radio hours.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'm still catching up on old music. I discover a new (to me) band only to find that they've split.
    That's why I've never worried about prophecies of no more music if they can't make money on it anymore; even if no more music was ever made, there's already enough that's been recorded to last a lifetime for ever taste imaginable.
  • Thanks for all advice. KEXP has some good stuff. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I'm a big fan of new prog. I'm in a prog group on facebook and it constantly throws up interesting stuff.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23241
    Using Spotify I also like the "FANS ALSO LIKE" button/page, it will frequently take you to some new stuff of a similar genre.
    Likewise, pretty much everything I've "discovered" in the last 10 years has been through Spotify, plus a bit of YouTube. 
    And I like to find out a bit more about the bands through Bandcamp, their own web pages and seeing if they have any live clips on YouTube.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Using Spotify I also like the "FANS ALSO LIKE" button/page, it will frequently take you to some new stuff of a similar genre.
    Likewise, pretty much everything I've "discovered" in the last 10 years has been through Spotify, plus a bit of YouTube. 
    And I like to find out a bit more about the bands through Bandcamp, their own web pages and seeing if they have any live clips on YouTube.
    It reminds me of the Napster days, (if anyone used it?) where you could look in peoples music folders and see what they were listening to. Frequently, I'd go in to their music and think... like that, like that, like that, not heard of them, like that, like that (you get the drift). I'd go back to the not heard of them before, download the music and go that's all right... new music found.

I loved Napster but I was skint at the time! And I hasten to add that if I really liked something I went out and bought a proper copy:-)
  • Go to gigs! Look for local area multi band  and line ups, you never know you might find something you like!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • YouTube mostly, plus my sons recommending stuff to me that they are into
  • On my Spotify when I've finished an album it'll search and start playing songs by similar sounding artists, I've found a fair few new bands I like through this way.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    `I look through new releases and genres on CdBaby

https://store.cdbaby.com/