Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Condensing down to 1. THE guitar

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited February 2020
    Impossible!

You should own at least one of each of the following:
    - Strat / Les Paul / Tele
    - Fender / Gibson / Another brand of your choice
    - Solid / Semi hollow / full hollow
    - humbuckers / single coils / P90s
    - trem / hard tail
    - regular bodied / offset

Although an HSH strat with Seymour Duncan P-rails would tick a lot of the boxes above in one go. Or one of these:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24943-godin-summit-classic-ct-convertible-review
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    NelsonP said:
    Impossible!

- trem / hard tail
    Why?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:
    Impossible!

- trem / hard tail
    Why?
    Because your life won't be complete until you do.
    Because the internet says so.

;-)
    NelsonP said:

Because your life won't be complete until you do.
    Because the internet says so.

;-)
    Ah! OK then.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Stevepage said:

Any one got an idea of their perfect guitar? Or what would it be? Does it exist?
    Usually whatever the next one is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Actually, this one fitted with coil splits might be pretty close!

Needs a Floyd Kahler really though...

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I have three and am now debating getting a baritone... Whilst I could condense down to just the Novo I would be forever thinking about the others so I doubt I would ever go down then Kondo route :P
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

ah someone had to mention P90s...….

I have no guitar with P90s, but I think I need one now...…

PRS SE Soapbar?

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    @ICBM 're your 'not remotely' post earlier, I think it depends if you're mainly lead or rhythm and the type of music you play. I 'm mainly blues and classic rock, not indie etc and I don't like or need Gretsh or Ricks and would never need those tones. So for me, it's mainly Fenders with a PRS/Patrick Eggle etc for pup switching versatility live. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Voxman said:
    @ICBM 're your 'not remotely' post earlier, I think it depends if you're mainly lead or rhythm and the type of music you play.

Strictly rhythm: don't wanna make it cry or sing.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have 6 electric guitars but only play 1 for 95% of my time. Some time ago I decided that I should try and find THE guitar and 
    actually wrote out a specification of my perfect guitar..

The closest I could get based on my ideal spec was a  PRS SAS with Narrowfields and I can pretty much do everything I need with just this one instrument..

Not getting rid of the others however :)

Si
    Voxman said:
    @ICBM 're your 'not remotely' post earlier, I think it depends if you're mainly lead or rhythm and the type of music you play. I 'm mainly blues and classic rock, not indie etc and I don't like or need Gretsh or Ricks and would never need those tones.
    Which precisely proves my point that the Boring Four don't cover all the bases :).

I think two of them are useful choices - which two I'm not totally sure (although definitely not the 335 and the Les Paul), and it does depend slightly on what the other two choices were.

Something like

Tele
    Gretsch 6120
    Ibanez RG

Would be much closer to doing everything.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31591
    If I didn't gig or record for other people and have a need for a backup I'd be happy with just this one electric guitar, and it's what I use 95% of the time anyway. 

It's had a couple of re-fins, a re-fret, countless pickup variations, different wiring schemes, new tuners and bridge, I've worn the lacquer off the neck and broken a few scratchplates, but it's proved to be my longest-serving Number One. For a seven year old guitar it's had a tough life, but it's holding up well!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    @ICBM 're your 'not remotely' post earlier, I think it depends if you're mainly lead or rhythm and the type of music you play. I 'm mainly blues and classic rock, not indie etc and I don't like or need Gretsh or Ricks and would never need those tones.
    Which precisely proves my point that the Boring Four don't cover all the bases .

I think two of them are useful choices - which two I'm not totally sure (although definitely not the 335 and the Les Paul), and it does depend slightly on what the other two choices were.

Something like

Tele
    Gretsch 6120
    Ibanez RG

Would be much closer to doing everything.
    I've got most of the way there, if in slightly unconventional fashion.

The Ibanez offers the most versatility out of all of them...

• p90fool said:
    If I didn't gig or record for other people and have a need for a backup I'd be happy with just this one electric guitar, and it's what I use 95% of the time anyway. 

It's had a couple of re-fins, a re-fret, countless pickup variations, different wiring schemes, new tuners and bridge, I've worn the lacquer off the neck and broken a few scratchplates, but it's proved to be my longest-serving Number One. For a seven year old guitar it's had a tough life, but it's holding up well!

Holy hell that's a great looking guitar, nice one!
  • I’m on about 30 guitars at the moment, 20 of which I really do love and would struggle to part with. I’d love to pare the collection down but every time I pick up a great guitar I just think “why would I sell this….”

For example for PRS, I’ve currently got a McCarty (IRW), a PS-built DGT, a 1990 CU24, a 1989 CU24 and a 1986 Custom. I could happily live with any one of those – just for the PRS bit of my collection! – but they’re all wonderful guitars and I love each of them.

Then I’ve got a MIJ Telecaster that I love dearly. And many many more.

It’s a problem.

I guess it's better than having it all in a savings account or a pension though.

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    danny_777 said:

I guess it's better than having it all in a savings account or a pension though.

Yeah I mean you can always eat your guitars after you retire.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • God damn this freaking thread man. I’ve sat all morning scoping out a Rickenbacker 360 12 string now
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I bet for 95% of recorded music, you could literally do anything on anything (notwithstanding things like needing a trem) and most people wouldn't notice.

This crosses my mind every time I see the guitarist in the Strictly* band changing his guitar, and wondering why he bothers...

*Yes, yes, I know. I bet I'm not the only one on here who watches it though :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)