Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

From low price, all the way to fairly high end... Chapman...

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11841
    I like my Chapman Cap10 btw...

But it only cost £500.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    How can they say its "a beast of a guitar," if it doesn't seemingly even exist yet? Lot of money for an Indonesian built guitar. He must expect a healthy profit on this. Depreciation would be huge?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    sawyer said:
    How can they say its "a beast of a guitar," if it doesn't seemingly even exist yet? 
    Well it's obviously a mythical beast isn't it, like the Yeti or Chupicabra. Not Bigfoot though, he's not mythical I've seen him.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyer said:
    How can they say its "a beast of a guitar," if it doesn't seemingly even exist yet? Lot of money for an Indonesian built guitar. He must expect a healthy profit on this. Depreciation would be huge?
    There are prototypes, but yeah, it's a super-t with bare knuckles in and a fancy top, it's not like you couldn't achieve that for half the money.

Chapman have championed the idea that the quality of mass-produced far-eastern instruments has skyrocketed and the builders they have out there easily rival Western manufacture, and that's a legitimate argument when you're turning out guitars at a Mexican Fender price point.

I suppose in one sense you could see it as pioneering that they're prepared to make a guitar over there at this price point, but it is ultimately asking the buyer to take a lot of the risk.
  • Philtre said:
    I might consider it if it had "Total Fucking Knob" as the signature on the headstock.

Rabea comes across as a nice guy to me... And a great player. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
    edited February 2020
    It's a nice guitar with some premium features. USA pickups, hipshot bridge, stainless steel frets (which is hugely attractive and probably increases the price a lot), tusq nut, quality tuners...

In theory. Just need to wait for them to exist! 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    edited February 2020
    Philtre said:
    I might consider it if it had "Total Fucking Knob" as the signature on the headstock.

I'm sure Rabea is (a nice guy). His name isn't on the headstock, though. I wouldn't want a guitar with "Rob Chapman" on the headstock any more than I would want "PewDiePie" or "Peppa Pig" on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    What happened to the British Standard range? Did they ever make/sell any? It’s all gone quiet on that front.
    Long story short, the British luthier who they worked with bailed when faced with the volume of orders, apparently.
    I suspect this is 100% true but not for the reason they want to imply by stating it that way.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    What happened to the British Standard range? Did they ever make/sell any? It’s all gone quiet on that front.
    Long story short, the British luthier who they worked with bailed when faced with the volume of orders, apparently.

What, he was scared of the thought of making just 2 guitars?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31646
    They're competing with Duesenberg at that price point for a Far Eastern guitar, but without the caché, original hardware costs or a huge US marketing push. 

It'll never be built. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23036
    soma1975 said:

Buying the signature gear of people who are only known for making videos to sell you other gear. 
    In a single sentence, you’ve encapsulated a significant chunk of the zeitgeist, like the proverbial “famous for being famous” quote.

A huge proportion of the students I work with would accept the above concept without question.
    Moving it away from the guitar world, that's what YouTube "influencers" are all about.  It's inexplicable to old duffers like me, the influencers seem indistinguishable from those who follow them, but people earn fortunes.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    Philtre said:
    I put your suggestion through to their production team and they said they'll compromise and put "Tone Fucking Knob" on one of the controls, how's that?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:

He probably is a nice guy, and yes, he can play well. However, how many other people does that apply to? Thousands no doubt....maybe more.

What we tend to forget is that everything about their online presence is to push a brand and/or to make money. Fortunately for me I am very cynical when it comes to business and I see right through any sales talk. 

The other thing is, have any of these players been in good credible bands as writers/contributing to songs for years? Not just a dude playing session work etc...because again there are a lot of people capable of that. 

I mean no offence, but none of the Rob/Rabea/Pete projects are that exciting, in my eyes. They can all play, lots better than me, but that IS their job.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    soma1975 said:

Buying the signature gear of people who are only known for making videos to sell you other gear. 
    In a single sentence, you’ve encapsulated a significant chunk of the zeitgeist, like the proverbial “famous for being famous” quote.

A huge proportion of the students I work with would accept the above concept without question.
    I think it was Confucius that said 'yeah but students are idiots though'. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Philly_Q said:
    soma1975 said:

Moving it away from the guitar world, that's what YouTube "influencers" are all about.  It's inexplicable to old duffers like me, the influencers seem indistinguishable from those who follow them, but people earn fortunes.
    It's a weird one, isn't it, this "influencer" thing, kind of like the cyclical "famous for being famous" thing which I believe Big Brother started, where contestants from the regular version would later appear on the "celebrity" version; now we have a marketing model where product demonstrators are being positioned as celebrities in their own right.

In a way I don't think Massaad has any less right to a signature model than for example Eric Johnson, who in my ever so humble opinion is a noodling musician's-musician with garbage tone and yet rubs shoulders with the true greats in the FMIC artists' catalogue - Massaad at least plays with flair and panache and sounds like he knows how amplifiers work.

I think really the issue here is that gigantic price-point for even a well-specced far-eastern guitar. Expecting Massaad, an unsigned player with a modest youtube following, to carry that seems a big stretch. Even Kirk Hammett's latest sig is £150 less.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• In a way I don't think Massaad has any less right to a signature model than for example Eric Johnson, who in my ever so humble opinion is a noodling musician's-musician with garbage tone and yet rubs shoulders with the true greats in the FMIC artists' catalogue - Massaad at least plays with flair and panache and sounds like he knows how amplifiers work.

I think you make some valid points with the exception of this one :) 

• In a way I don't think Massaad has any less right to a signature model than for example Eric Johnson, who in my ever so humble opinion is a noodling musician's-musician with garbage tone and yet rubs shoulders with the true greats in the FMIC artists' catalogue - Massaad at least plays with flair and panache and sounds like he knows how amplifiers work.

I'm aware its an unpopular opinion. I just don't rate Johnson at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I'm aware its an unpopular opinion. I just don't rate Johnson at all.
    All opinions equally valid in my eyes..
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    edited February 2020
    Interesting that Eric Johnson has been brought up. He seems to be travelling in the opposite direction and IMO is in danger of being better known nowadays for his signature guitars (I think there are three signature Strats in the Fender catalogue) than for his actual music.
  • Interesting that Eric Johnson has been brought up. He seems to be travelling in the opposite direction and IMO is in danger of being better known nowadays for his signature guitars (I think there are three signature Strats in the Fender catalogue) than for his actual music.
    Yeah, I only really became aware of him as I'm in the market for a strat and like twelve guys told me to get an EJ. Judging by all the hype surrounding his signatures I was expecting to have my hair properly blown back by this low-key innovative tone wizard. What I discovered instead, it seems to me, is the reason I only ever hear people talk about him on guitar forums.

NB: I said this on tdpri and the backlash was so strong I got banned. So just in case: I'm not saying other people shouldn't be into it. It's just my opinion.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom