Kit vs New vs Second hand for modding

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    I advise the pre-owned (but not abused) option. This way, you can observe how the components are supposed to fit together before you make any changes.

Yamaha Pacifica guitars are good in this respect because everything fits together well. Pickups, electronics and the skinny vibrato sustain block are all worth upgrading. All of these mods are reversible.

The second generation Pacifica 112 has the humbucker mounted the Gibson way and a smaller pickguard. Thus, it is possible to change the pickup array by simply buying a new pickguard with the appropriate holes cut in it. A neck position P90 works wonders on the 311/611 models.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I don't know if people still read but I can recommend Dan Erlewine's book 'Guitar Player Repair Guide'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I’m 47, taught myself to play guitar, piano, harmonica, minor modding, minor DIY around the house, just stripped my second cab, have never asked anyone for help, just got on with the job. 
    The results? Good, sometimes very good, but in all truth I know all too well my shortcomings. I still can’t read music, still have no idea where solos should go and the wood stain on the last cab shows the brushstrokes. 
    Time is much more precious than money. 
    Do a setup course from one or another mentioned in this thread and take it from there:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/170809/how-much-for-a-guitar-set-up-course#latest

Personally, this year will be the first time in my life that I ask someone for help: I have the phone number of a piano teacher, I’m going to learn guitar setup from my local luthier, I’m going to ask a guitar teacher to teach me to read music and play jazz.

Whatever reason for my reticence, little money, untrusting, or pride has now been put aside. Getting instruction from a professional teacher will change your life and speed up your study. 

You’d think I would’ve known this years ago: I’ve been a english teacher for the last twenty years. 

By all means, get a guitar to mod and take it with you to your lesson. And do it ASAP. It’ll be great fun and you’ll be modding the very next day. I have all the guitar setup books on the market and I still haven’t learnt how despite my good intentions. 

I feel better admitting this. I’ll sit down now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    And yes, I taught myself how to teach English and translate and I’m one of the best in town. Hunger is a quick learner. Paying next month’s rent might not necessarily push you to learn guitar setup, although it did my local luthier.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
    edited February 2020
    Here's one for you...

What do people think of the Fender Starcaster as a base for a bit of modding and general set up practice etc? Opinions vary from what I have read online from surprisingly good to surprisingly bad... 

And by Starcaster I mean the strat style cheapo one rather than the semi-acoustic!

I know that the views on them vary. I just wondered if this would be a good one to have a go at - possibly better than running the risk of ruining a nicer Squier.

I've spotted one near to me for £50. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    I think going into a crack converters and buying something nameless but with a bolt on neck is a good start. Negotiate the price down and take it home. Play it for a day or so to assess its flaws and inadequacies. Decide what you could do to improve it like shim the neck or adjust the truss rod, adjust the bridge height and pickup height. Cut the nut slots or even remove the nut to sand a bit off the bottom evenly which can save a lot of slot finishing if the whole thing is very high.
    Worse thing that could happen is you resell the guitar as a better playing thing and recoupe some money for the next project.

• Cheers ESBlonde - I think I will try to get the cash together and do that. 
  • Cheers ESBlonde - I think I will try to get the cash together and do that. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Crimson guitars sell very reasonable kits. Strat/Tele/Les Paul