Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Man! This is just feckin humbling... Stephanie Jones.

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    rlw said:
    rlw said:
    IMO boring boring boring.  Maybe widdling was the wrong word though.
    Out of interest, what would you consider to be *not* boring boring boring?

R.
    Something with some emotion in it.

The video is technically perfect and an example  of extremely gifted playing but, to me, totally sterile.
    While cooking the dinner tonight I listened to Bukka White, Son House and Robert Johnson.  All stuff I know well, not that clever but full of emotion.

That sums it up perfectly.

Good music makes me feel strong emotions, bad music makes me feel the same as I did before any music came on.

It can never be academic; there couldn't be a piece that did nothing for me but then after someone explains the theory of it to me I then start to like it.

I think some people are different though. I think some people can get enjoyment from their higher level brain being impressed by something technically good in the music. I suppose that would be along the lines of a software enthusiast being impressed by techniques they're hearing at a hacking conference and they enjoy that experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it just shows people connect with music in many different ways. One person's "totally sterile" is another's beautiful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Indeed. I'm as 'blues' as they come, but her playing is just breathtaking to me 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    As good as she is i still can't sit through it, just didn't do much for me, I prefer songs 
    See I do like this style sometimes and there are similar pieces that are just nylon guitar that really move me, I just didn't like this song at all. In my opinion this was just "widdling", but that's purely my opinion. I didn't hear any melodies or themes that stick in my head or any points that really grip the emotions, it was like background muzak to me.

Goes without saying she performed it excellently and if she chose a different piece to play I'd have loved it.

I'm not saying you should like it, but It's not a "song" - it's a piece of music with a more complex structure. There are several themes and motifs that recur throughout.

Read along with the score here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6VIwYjJOE

Out of interest, do you like any classical music?

R.
    If it's good I'll listen to it and yes I've listened to some classical music but take that on a track by track basis, I'd listen to the deer hunter over this any day, like I said it does nothing for me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Very good. You are going to be successful if you have talent AND you are an attractive woman.
  • Utterly fantastic playing, though I don't know enough to distinguish how fantastic as against other such players, she must be up there.
    I don't think it was at all sterile, though I didn't particularly like all of it.
    In December I went to a jazz concert & there were bits here & there I liked, but for the most part it went past me. I'm really glad I went though, because it kind of chrystalised for me that some things aren't just a matter of taste- they are just something different like another language. If I tried to read a novel in German I wouldn't have any idea whether I liked it, never mind being able to make a judgement on its quality- which I was able to justify.

I'm a big Bukka White fan btw.
    I also love this, I can't really explain why I like either.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited February 2020
    p90fool said:
    rlw said:
    to me 5.42 minutes of pointless widdling....sorry but I can't be arsed with that
    It's full of light and shade, fierce dynamics and real musicality. 

It's really not my musical cup of tea, but it's certainly not just pointless widdling. 
    Big +1!  It doesn't need to be your cup of tea musically in order to appreciate a very talented player.  Over the years I've learned to appreciate lots of different playing styles, different musical genres and playing techniques. Also I'm always fascinated that theres nearly always something I can pinch or adapt from watching others play, even if at first it looks entirely alien to what I do.  It's all music!

What never ceases to amaze me with classical players is the strength in their hands. Classical nylon strung guitars have much thicker and wider necks and because you're relying purely on natural acoustics, you have to be way more accurate and have a very disciplined technique to make it sound like she does both in left and right hand techniques.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    She's very good but would it have been drawn to our attention if she wasn't a pretty young blonde? 

• Funny how a lot of these types of players that get posted on here happen to be attractive young ladies  ;)
  • I listened to it both watching her play, and then with my eyes shut.

It sounded exactly the bloody same. 

Fantastic musician, Bravo. 

Thanks for posting. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited February 2020
    Funny how a lot of these types of players that get posted on here happen to be attractive young ladies 
    A little unfair I think. There are tons of posts drawing our attention to male players. Only recently I posted vids from Joscho Stephan, a very talented gipsy style guitarist, and another from a 5 guitar troupe. None of those were because the guys were pretty!  Talent is talent.  There are also a surprising number of classical lady guitarists and I for one am delighted to see more female musical talent being aired. Yes, she's quite a pretty girl too but she is very chic/stylish which makes a nice change from some lady players who shall we say like to show off their attributes a little! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Just havin a larf  :)
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    rlw said:
    to me 5.42 minutes of pointless widdling....sorry but I can't be arsed with that
      Yeah .......In the same way that a lot of Bach is pointless widdling too ?
    You may not empathise with the composition but the technical skill is outstanding . 
    A lot of Flamenco Bulerias and Malaguenas could be called widdling as could Albeniz but I would give my right arm to be able to "widdle " like that......the study of the dynamics alone ,wow
     Often what are now considered outstanding classical music masterpieces  were written as "study "pieces for gaining familiarity with certain keys ,techniques or dynamics ;
     Bachs well tempered Klavier
    Chopins reworking of it as the etudes
    Paganinni Caprice
    etcetc 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    I'm so impressed , I've written to her offering to get even with her hairdresser on her behalf 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Balrog68 said:
    She's very good but would it have been drawn to our attention if she wasn't a pretty young blonde? 

Surprised to see this.

There is a lot of music that is only popular because the preformer is attractive but this really isn't in that category.

A good argument against that is that the majority of the video is a close up of the guitar.

Funnily enough, if I went to see my favourite guitarist live, I fear I'd be surrounded by screaming, leering women who were mostly interested in him as a sex object.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Dominic said:
    I'm so impressed , I've written to her offering to get even with her hairdresser on her behalf 
    I offered a 'no win, no fee' conditional litigation agreement.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:
      Yeah .......In the same way that a lot of Bach is pointless widdling too ?
    You may not empathise with the composition but the technical skill is outstanding . 
    A lot of Flamenco Bulerias and Malaguenas could be called widdling as could Albeniz but I would give my right arm to be able to "widdle " like that......the study of the dynamics alone ,wow
     Often what are now considered outstanding classical music masterpieces  were written as "study "pieces for gaining familiarity with certain keys ,techniques or dynamics ;
     Bachs well tempered Klavier
    Chopins reworking of it as the etudes
    Paganinni Caprice
    etcetc 
    I've listened to a shitload of Bach and don't think I've ever thought it was pointless widdling in any way.

What pieces are you referring to?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4938
    For some reason I have a hankering for paella and sangria.