Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Man! This is just feckin humbling... Stephanie Jones.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Listening to a piece by an Argentinian composer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    thegummy said:
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:
    to me 5.42 minutes of pointless widdling....sorry but I can't be arsed with that
      Yeah .......In the same way that a lot of Bach is pointless widdling too ?
    You may not empathise with the composition but the technical skill is outstanding . 
    A lot of Flamenco Bulerias and Malaguenas could be called widdling as could Albeniz but I would give my right arm to be able to "widdle " like that......the study of the dynamics alone ,wow
     Often what are now considered outstanding classical music masterpieces  were written as "study "pieces for gaining familiarity with certain keys ,techniques or dynamics ;
     Bachs well tempered Klavier
    Chopins reworking of it as the etudes
    Paganinni Caprice
    etcetc 
    I've listened to a shitload of Bach and don't think I've ever thought it was pointless widdling in any way.

What pieces are you referring to?
    The Widdle-Tempered Clavier?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    prlgmnr said:
    thegummy said:
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:
    to me 5.42 minutes of pointless widdling....sorry but I can't be arsed with that
    You may not empathise with the composition but the technical skill is outstanding . 
    A lot of Flamenco Bulerias and Malaguenas could be called widdling as could Albeniz but I would give my right arm to be able to "widdle " like that......the study of the dynamics alone ,wow
     Often what are now considered outstanding classical music masterpieces  were written as "study "pieces for gaining familiarity with certain keys ,techniques or dynamics ;
    Paganinni Caprice
    etcetc 
    I've listened to a shitload of Bach and don't think I've ever thought it was pointless widdling in any way.

Air guitar on a G-string is my favourite.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tenebrous said:
    prlgmnr said:
    thegummy said:
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:
    Paganinni Caprice
    etcetc 

Air guitar on a G-string is my favourite.
    tie round the head, spark a hamlet and widdle away
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    prlgmnr said:
    thegummy said:
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:
    Paganinni Caprice
    etcetc 

I think you're misunderstanding the irony 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Listening to a piece by an Argentinian composer?
    Villa- Lobos?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    Dominic said:
    rlw said:
    Paganinni Caprice
    etcetc 
    I found the piece dull and very studied.  It didn't do anything for me,  The skill displayed was obvious but it left me cold.  Great as an exercise probably so keep it that way.

Bach will appeal to some, as will Chopin or anyone else you care to mention.  I'm a product of my time and that time was well after they had all died and become irrelevant to me.  Just because someone plays a piece of historical music well, doesn't mean it has any relevance other than to those who enjoy it.

I can't be arsed with opera either.  I've tried but the utterly pointless repetition - in these days - just annoys me so much.  A couple of good tunes to be had but that's it and, mainly, a short story dragged our for interminable hours.

So, you enjoy your stuff and I'll enjoy mine.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom