Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar holidays

What's Hot

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Staying in and practicing will undoubtably help. But there’s no substitute for getting out and playing with others to be a better guitarist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    gringopig said:
    Yes, I mean you could go out for walks and suchlike. Maybe in a park. Then go back and practice some more. I had a look at the Guitar breaks website and I can just imagine paying humongous amounts of money  being milked to an inch of my life and being surrounded by people exactly like me for "5 days of intense guitar playing with one of the world's great players."

Yeah. Even although I'm pretty obsessed, that sounds horrifying haha.
    5 days locked in Pontins with 6 other blokes from this forum, endlessly debating the merits of relics, Mastery hardware and Hyundai Velosters, while attempting - and humiliatingly failing - to master the rudiments of sweep picking and suchlike :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha :) 
    Tbh I stay in and play a lot already. 
    Just realised I'd have to put my prized guitars in hold on a plane. That might be a deal-breaker if ever there was one...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    JerkMoans said:
    gringopig said:
    Yes, I mean you could go out for walks and suchlike. Maybe in a park. Then go back and practice some more. I had a look at the Guitar breaks website and I can just imagine paying humongous amounts of money  being milked to an inch of my life and being surrounded by people exactly like me for "5 days of intense guitar playing with one of the world's great players."

5 days locked in Pontins with 6 other blokes from this forum, endlessly debating the merits of relics, Mastery hardware and Hyundai Velosters, while attempting - and humiliatingly failing - to master the rudiments of sweep picking and suchlike :D 

and the inevitable dirty bastard who refuses to flush the bog....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Haha  
    Tbh I stay in and play a lot already. 
    Just realised I'd have to put my prized guitars in hold on a plane. That might be a deal-breaker if ever there was one...
    Bollocks to that: bet Steve Vai would have on old Jem booting around that he'd flog you cheap.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • go to SXSW in Austin and watch as many bands as possible 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    I saw a guitar building holiday in the Tuscany hills a few years ago. Wasn't cheap, but looked oh so amazing...
    57Deluxe said:
    JerkMoans said:
    gringopig said:

and the inevitable dirty bastard who refuses to flush the bog....
    Then one of us tests positive for Covid-19 and we all get confined to this living hell for a month.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Richard Thompson one is supposed to be excellent, and isn't much more than the cost of a holiday in that part of the world anyway (well, plus the flights, ahem). And he clearly takes a big part, too.

https://www.fretsandrefrains.com/about

Spending time playing with other people at a place like that is a bit like being in a band, except really concentrated and you all play the same instrument, and there's way more of you.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    My partner's family have some rural land in Italy they keep trying to sell  that I have said to her, rather than selling cheap cos no-one locally needs it/wants it (council insists unused land it is kept mown  due to fire break rules),  save it for me to build a place to maybe do just this kind of thing. The way the world is going I am leaning more and more towards this as a retirement option. Looks OK for a jam spot don't you think?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My partner's family have some rural land in Italy they keep trying to sell  that I have said to her, rather than selling cheap cos no-one locally needs it/wants it (council insists unused land it is kept mown  due to fire break rules),  save it for me to build a place to maybe do just this kind of thing. The way the world is going I am leaning more and more towards this as a retirement option. Looks OK for a jam spot don't you think?

Whereabouts? I’m in Bologna. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Given that many of us have played the guitar when taking a break from studying, what do you do when taking a break from studying the guitar? 
    scrumhalf said:
    Given that many of us have played the guitar when taking a break from studying, what do you do when taking a break from studying the guitar? 
    Attain enlightenment.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    scrumhalf said:
    Play the guitar instead!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    gringopig said:
    JerkMoans said:
    gringopig said:

and you know it's going to turn into an absolute ponce -a-thon with everyone flashing their tops and implicitly bragging about what nice guitars they have. Awful awful awful.
    It does sound like a Fast Show sketch.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Halsway Manor on Somerset do a guitar course in the autumn. Can't recall exactly how long it is, either long weekend or possibly a week, mostly focuses on folk stuff. Can't recall who the tutors are this time, but they've had some top players before. There's also the Burwell Bash in Cambs, the guitarist from Flook takes the guitar class there, that's about a week.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Will look into these, chaps. 

Btw the steve Vai one gets lots of cool guests. I imagine that would be a once in a lifetime experience, inspiring if anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Will look into these, chaps. 

Btw the steve Vai one gets lots of cool guests. I imagine that would be a once in a lifetime experience, inspiring if anything.
    Hungover, sitting in the kitchen shakily sipping coffee and scratching your Henrys, as David Lee Roth breezes in with the milk... 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Hahaha awesome. Worth it just to tell a similar tale lol