Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar holidays

What's Hot

Comments

• Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1051
    Saw one advertised once. Think the wife does a sewing course too. 
    Stopping with a couple who prepare all your meals, then you meet in the mornings and play the guitar, while your Missus makes a dress.  
    Personally couldn’t think of anything worse, apart from Morris Dancing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Rob1742 said:
    Saw one advertised once. Think the wife does a sewing course too. 
    Stopping with a couple who prepare all your meals, then you meet in the mornings and play the guitar, while your Missus makes a dress.  
    Personally couldn’t think of anything worse, apart from Morris Dancing
    They turn out to be swingers..?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3073
    Cheaper version: Go on a normal holiday but take Zen Guitar by Philip Toshido Sudo to read. Come back all refreshed and gagging to play.. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Haha :) 
    Tbh I stay in and play a lot already. 
    Just realised I'd have to put my prized guitars in hold on a plane. That might be a deal-breaker if ever there was one...
    I've been to Italy for 5 out the last 6 years for guitar courses. Apart from the first time, when I put my guitar in the hold in a Hiscox Case and it got left in Amsterdam on transfer ( it did arrive safe 2 days after me), I've always booked a seat for my guitar.  Costs a bit extra, but for once a year, I'd rather know exactly where my guitar is and how it's being treated.
    edited March 2020
    Whilst Truefire, and weekend courses, can be good, they are not what I would call real holidays. I'm booked to go back to Italy in June for two and a half weeks - decided that I owed myself a bit of a longer holiday, as I haven't been away for anything longer than a week for years.

I've booked two week long courses this time in the same place - one week's singing course, and one week of guitar being taught by Josh Smith. Pontins doesn't provide you with a hotel that was once a medieval hill fort with an entrance like this.

https://i.imgur.com/ym6gcmK.jpg  
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    @ArchtopDave that looks truly wonderful.  Envious AF.

Let us know when and where it is, and a bunch of us can come down and join in the craic :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    edited March 2020
    Also, sitting eating supper with your shirt sleeves rolled up in the company of good hearted people from 6, maybe 8, countries from around the globe with a view like this ain't at all bad.

https://i.imgur.com/UDCNntp.jpg
    edited March 2020
    They're courses run by Justin Sandercoe. The hotel is Castello di Montegridolfo in Emilia Romagna. When the sky is clear, you can just see the sea, which is something like 20 kilometres away.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    edited March 2020
    I could 100% enjoy sharing a good few meals with decent people in northern Italy I have in the past, and I definitely will again in future. Frankly an evening in Tuscany with a plate of pecorino and porchetta with a few glasses of cold wine is my idea of heaven.

I just don't get the appeal of having guitar lessons at the same time. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Holy sh!t that looks amazing.... 

What have you learned on these courses? 
    What's the singing one about....?
  • Just back from the guitar show and they had the guitar holiday stand there. Nice guy, mick from TPS was there playing around with his board. Price was around 1400 for the Italy one. Next one is in Brighton though and is 4 days

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

TPS? 
    That's good for the Italy one!!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    A few tips on travelling with guitars as I haul stuff back and forth between Spain and the UK. 
    If you travel with Easyjet to Italy or wherever you can pay 50 quid and throw it in the hold. But they advised me a while back just pay the speedy boarding up charge and take it as your 2nd bag I usually take a roll-on and a guitar case. You are not going to get away with an acoustic or jazz box but Les Paul, Little Sister, for Strats of Tele's I just unzip the neck and put it all in my case I just wrap the body in a hoody then stick the neck in with the socks and jocks LOL. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been to Bumblefoot Music Camp in Ireland.  Ron is very attentive and takes an genuine interest in his students.  

Each session starts at a reasonable time in , 11am and finishes about 10pm.  There are breaks in there, and one-to-one lessons afterwards.

I learnt a lot and got horrifically drunk with some of the local talent.  

IT WAS AWESOME!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    I've read this thread with some interest as I've often thought that a holiday with a bunch of like minded guitar folks would potentially be fun. Be great to get away from the pressure of real life and just learn/play/jam for a week.

Maybe it's me but it's the whole 'hanging with the great and good' thing that puts me off a little to be honest. Not that they're not potentially great educators or interested in teaching or anything. The guitarist equivalent of spending time with high-class prostitutes I suppose (something I'm not comfortable with either in case you were wondering) :)

These people have got to earn a living I suppose..

Si
    I've been to Bumblefoot Music Camp in Ireland.  Ron is very attentive and takes an genuine interest in his students.  

Each session starts at a reasonable time in , 11am and finishes about 10pm.  There are breaks in there, and one-to-one lessons afterwards.

I learnt a lot and got horrifically drunk with some of the local talent.  

IT WAS AWESOME!!!
    Oh that sounds interesting!!!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Players School of Music in Florida. Was set up by jazz super bassist Jeff Berlin (he later retired from that).

They do 1 week intensive courses - but unlike a lot of the other places it starts with a review of your own standard and then you get a program tailored for you. 

It's currently $900 including books and materials. You can stay at a local motel.

https://playerschool.edu/one-week-intensive/

Breakdown of the courses is here: https://playerschool.edu/by-diploma/

They also do a 4 week program if you can get the time off. (and several far longer ones too).
    So many options, thank you 8)
  • redwedgeredwedge Frets: 17
    Not necessarily guitar, not necessarily singing though both involved. Why not try the Chris Difford songwriting holiday or Martin Stephenson etc?
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    TPS? 
    In this context, they mean the YouTube channel That Pedal Show, my Tigger.
    These people have got to earn a living I suppose.

You have correctly identified the source of this phenomenomenomenon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom