What Gibson type guitar would you recommend to a 'strat guy'?

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 608
edited March 2020 in Guitar
I've been playing guitar for nearly 20 years and never owned a Gibson, or any Les Paul style guitar.. I don't have anything against them but I've just always been drawn to strat/superstrat guitars and I've just realised that I have a possible itch that's never been scratched!

I've been playing a lot of blues and other different styles out of my comfort zone recently so I'm I guess I'm looking for something fun to play that gets 'that tone' that a strat can't do.

As I've never owned or taken an interest in these guitars before, is there anything thats particularly good for the price in terms of tone/playability? Anything to avoid or watch out for when buying used, apart from obvious neck repairs.

Open to suggestions of Les Paul or SG type stuff!
I'll say £600 for a guideline budget but can be flexible I guess. 

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14603
    Firebird VII with Vibrola tailpiece.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    I may have something of interest for you pm me 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Tokai - Love Rock would be good shout 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    edited March 2020
    As someone who’s played Strats for over 35 years, I find the transition to a Les Paul ‘too’ difficult. The heavily back-angled neck, limited upper end access, control layout and the generally ‘short but chunky’ feel just don’t work for me. 

An SG might suit - though again the control layout is an issue for me.

In terms of playing dynamics, a 335 (or variant) is probably the most Fender-like Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12018
    none

I tried loads.
    Agreed that 335 is the most pleasant

Discovered via an accidental trade (of an LP standard) that PRS are the answer: LP sounds, (mostly) strat ergonomics, and better-made
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm most at home on a telecaster. I tried Les Pauls because I wanted that thick HB sound & despite the glorious sound they make I couldn't get used to the feel. 
    I've now got a HH Tele deluxe & it's great. 

If you've got your heart set on a Gibson I'd suggest investigating LP Jr's (or SG Jr's). They're glorious, versatile & make the best noise ever. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Bear in mind when you do find one to try that there's a chance you just won't like any Gibson. I don't and I'm not alone.

I don't think there's truly a sound that a Strat just can't do. If you put the same pickups in a Strat and a Les Paul then recorded the same riff, I really doubt anyone could say "that one is definitely the LP because a Strat just couldn't sound like that".

I initially tried LP style guitars but found I preferred the feel of a Strat by such a huge amount that I now have a HH Strat instead. When I was deciding whether to go that way or not, I played both swapping between the two and thought there was a big difference in sound and feared I may have to stick with the LP. But then I recorded a bunch of examples and blind tested myself and the difference was gone; i.e. it was in my head based on expectation.

Long story short: be prepared for the possibility of not liking any Gibson but don't feel you'd then be missing out.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Something with P90s.
    I just don't like humbuckers.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7090
    tFB Trader
    A Blueshawk or something like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 323
    Perhaps we should be asking you the question: Which Gibson guitars have you played and you feel as comfortable with them in your hands as you do a Strat type guitar?

An HSH Strat will get you into humbucking territory while still giving you the versatility and feel of a guitar you are familiar with.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Reality is for 600 quid you may find a decent Gibson  les Paul studio but that’s about it. Gibson don’t really make Fender type guitars so if you want a Les Paul type sound it’s a  Studio model which some are very good but alien creatures to a dyed in the wool Strat player.

There are some good value non Gibson versions as said PRS is the natural compromise as budgets go the SE Bernie Marsden is a good take on a Les Paul style guitar.

335’s hit the spot but if you are used the svelte curves of a Strat that will feel like tucking a tea chest.under your arm.

i have never been one type of guitar guy so I  go through phases of playing everything. 

Its as much a mindset I don’t expect my strat style guitars to do what my les Paul style guitars do and I just adjust and look upon the change as part and parcel

i also find something I have noodled away at for ages on one guitar totally comes alive with a change of guitar.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Gibson Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3348
    Not a Gibson. But I’d certainly recommend trying a Rivolta Combinata. 
    I played fenders/fender style almost exclusively and never bonded with anything Gibson except a firebird. 
    However the combinata has been my go to guitar for the past few months now. It sounds epic both clean and dirty and in the middle pickup position both P90’s sound stratty to me. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    Jimi Hendrix Signature.

:)

More seriously, get a used Les Paul Studio - that should be within your budget. You will then either realise what you’ve been missing all this time, or not get it at all and be able to sell it for what you paid, never to go there again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rossirossi Frets: 1708
    A  Midtown ? Basically an HH Tele thinline .I have  dreaded 2015 Pelham blue which is perfect .
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4198
    Personally I’d skip LPs and get a used PRS S2 Cu22/24 if you can - they’re a good middle ground that’ll serve you very well if you’re coming from strats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3302
    tFB Trader
    I'm the other way round, I like some fender stuff but can't get on with the necks or scale so I work what I want into the short scale format I'm used to when building something plus I like set necks for a sculpting and finishing point of view

Try a LP special or junior types out

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    How about an Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" LP Standard?

This one:-  https://www.andertons.co.uk/epiphone-les-paul-standard-60s-iced-tea

I've been playing a Squier Strat mainly, and bought a Vintage V100 LP from www.scan.co.uk for a different experience. 

It took me a while to get comfortable on the Vintage V100 with right hand picking positioning, and fretting the strings accurately. My fingers were going fractions of a millimetre out. This has now been largely overcome.

You could quite possibly experience the same thing when swapping from a flat top to an arch top guitar.   
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    non reverse firebird
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4221
    Gibson US 1 or other variants of the gibson super strat .
      Harley Benton SC Custom FR  
      Ltd EC series