What Gibson type guitar would you recommend to a 'strat guy'?

What's Hot

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4229
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 512
    What I think is that a completely different guitar pulls something completely different out of you..
    You grow massively as a player from that..
    I have been at it 34 years now..Creak Groan !!!
    A new guitar that feels really different is inspiring to me..
    It pulls me in new directions..It rekindles me and keeps me inspired and fresh..
    I say get a Les Paul and don't expect to be fluent on it overnight,you have a whole lifetime of music and creativity ahead..
    You are already fluent on a Strat,if you have a gig lined up,use that for now..
    What starts coming out of your hands after a while when creating will be very different to a Strat on a Les Paul..
    I try and learn those things on my Strat or Tele too..
    It sounds mad but it is like a new guitar can teach you new things,or that is what happens to me..
    If I just grab a Les Paul and start playing,that music is not what would happen if I just grabbed a Tele..

Some of the secondhand Tribute Models are nice,same with some Studios..
    If you get an older model without the circuitboard,,it is easier to change the pickups..
    My Tribute had a Circuitboard..It hasn't now though..lol
    I have further up the line Les Paul's,but love my 70s Tribute with changed pickups and knobs,seriously great guitar..
    It gets more use than my Les Paul Standard..
    As I bond with a guitar..I often bond with it unplugged too,I think many folk do.
    So much of that is a pure feel bonding thing...
    Some guitars to get what you want to do electrically as you probably know can take a little tweaking,pick ups etc..
    No Les Paul/SG/335 will feel like a Strat,it's impossible..Stating the obvious there I guess..
    If you play both your Strat and your Les Paul,you will be able to adapt to each pretty quickly and probably use them for different things..I actually think too long on one guitar can limit you sometimes..
    Or maybe I am too shite to be able to do the one guitar thing..Hahaha!!
    How many guitar players have used more than one type of guitar,the answer is loads..
    Let the differences inspire you,don't expect to be fluent overnight,
    Your playing and skillset will expand whether you want it to or not though..

Then again I may be a Daft old Codger,but the whole appeal is it feels nothing like a Strat in the first place..

I say get a Les Paul..It is the gateway to lots of new things..

Now I could never bond with Superstrats I bought..
    I find Strat trems stay in tune better for me,but I don't divebomb etc on them..
    I had a Jackson Dinky that played and sounded glorious,if it had just had a headstock with straight string pull and a Strat trem on it..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27481
    Try a Les Paul, but be aware that it's ergonomically a bit odd

Personally I like all the double cut Gibsons much more - an SG and CS336 are my favourite Gibsons by miles, and find it no issue to switch between those and Fenders. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3700

A few times I've felt the 'need' to own a LP but every time I go looking I find that I really can't get on with them.  I do have a love for PRS and I have 4 at present (a couple of SE's, an S2 and a Core).  The closest I have to a LP is the PRS SE Chris Robertson, which is a fantastic guitar for the price (and was in the OPs price bracket), but it's still my least played PRS.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27481
    Musicwolf said:

A few times I've felt the 'need' to own a LP but every time I go looking I find that I really can't get on with them.  I do have a love for PRS and I have 4 at present (a couple of SE's, an S2 and a Core).  The closest I have to a LP is the PRS SE Chris Robertson, which is a fantastic guitar for the price (and was in the OPs price bracket), but it's still my least played PRS.
    I'm exactly the same. I've had a Burny, a Tokai and a CS Gibson. All were great guitars and sounded good, but got moved on as I realised I still preferred my 336 and SG. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4209
    Surely it’s a PRS DGT 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4043
    sweepy said:
    Surely it’s a PRS DGT 
    PRS is a good shout. If the DGT is too expensive, the S2 range are an option, or the new Mira SE looks really good too.

If you want Gibson, I would say SG as the upper fret access (or lack of) on a LP may bother you if you’re used to a Strat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nobody’s mentioned a Gibson Nighthawk yet?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited March 2020
    Let’s face it, if you’ve got a Gibson itch to scratch, it’s probably because you fancy a Les Paul. Just find a Les Paul tribute or studio (probably used at that price point) and live with it for a while.

Too much is made of the ergonomic thing and the idea of some models being unsuitable for some people. I love my Strat and Les Paul equally.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m switching between my ‘91 LP Studio and my AV Tele Custom atm. Takes less than 10 seconds to adjust. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2573
    If you don't get on with a Gibbo try a Tele deluxe, same layout and 12" radius too
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72851
    edited March 2020
    TINMAN82 said:

Too much is made of the ergonomic thing and the idea of some models being unsuitable for some people.
    I really don’t get the ‘Les Pauls are un-ergonomic’ thing - I admit I’m not a fan of ones with overly steep neck angles (they do vary a lot), but otherwise I find them comfortable to play, and I prefer the body size to that of a Strat, which I’ve always found slightly unnecessarily large. Strats do fit your body well, but if it’s a traditional one then it has a massive ergonomic fault unlike almost any other guitar - the ridiculous position of the volume knob. This is why my ‘Strat’ has a smaller body than a Fender and with the volume knob further down...

And I find all 335-type guitars un-ergonomic to the point of being unplayable - huge, unwieldy and too long, with the neck far too far to the left. I don’t mind 330s with the neck set deeper in as much, but then the top-end access is a bit restricted. The 70s Les Paul Signature I had fixed both those problems, but sadly I couldn’t get on with the neck profile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    PRS DGT, Custom 24/22 or McCarty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    Nobody’s mentioned a Gibson Nighthawk yet?
    I suggested a Blueshawk, based on the 25.5" scale length & blade switch.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14646
    TINMAN82 said:
    if you’ve got a Gibson itch to scratch, it’s probably because you fancy a Les Paul. 
    Not necessarily. For somebody my age, the ones that got away were the mid-to-late Seventies Norlin experiments. The L6, The Paul and the RD. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Nobody’s mentioned a Gibson Nighthawk yet?
    I suggested a Blueshawk, based on the 25.5" scale length & blade switch.
    You caused me to check eBay and now I have GAS :)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5087
    Double cut LP Special.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I had a epi nighthawk which was the most strat like gibsonesque guitar I've played, however it didn't last long as I'm too much of a tart to live with the garish purple hue :D