What Gibson type guitar would you recommend to a 'strat guy'?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited March 2020
    I'm selling my Les Paul Special Jr. with P-90's if that's any interest  P'90s works great if you're used to having that single coil neck sound from your Strat style guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:
    I wonder if the people who don't get the economic thing with LPs tend to play standing up?

It's not as much of an issue when standing up but sitting down the Les Paul doesn't sit very well, it's not balanced and the curve isn't in the right spot.
    No, I play both standing and sitting and a Les Paul body shape is perfect for both. It’s the steep neck angle that’s the problem on some of them when you’re sitting.
    I’d disagree about it being “perfect” for sitting to be fair. It’s fine but the body curve being further towards the headstock tends to concentrate weight off the right side of the thigh. It’s not as well balanced as a Strat or tele that way. That’s a pretty widely held viewpoint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    thegummy said:
    I wonder if the people who don't get the economic thing with LPs tend to play standing up?

ergonomic ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    hassleham said:
    I've been playing guitar for nearly 20 years and never owned a Gibson, or any Les Paul style guitar.. I don't have anything against them but I've just always been drawn to strat/superstrat guitars and I've just realised that I have a possible itch that's never been scratched!

I've been playing a lot of blues and other different styles out of my comfort zone recently so I'm I guess I'm looking for something fun to play that gets 'that tone' that a strat can't do.

As I've never owned or taken an interest in these guitars before, is there anything thats particularly good for the price in terms of tone/playability? Anything to avoid or watch out for when buying used, apart from obvious neck repairs.

Open to suggestions of Les Paul or SG type stuff!
    I'll say £600 for a guideline budget but can be flexible I guess. 

Thanks!

This https://m.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_60s_2016_hp_se_db.htm?o=3&search=1584087343

Or this 
    https://m.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_tribute_worn_ebony.htm?o=4&search=1584087343

95% of a full les paul and I had one of the latter that was better than a number of lp standards i tried that year. 

Cheap enough for no buyers remorse

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TINMAN82 said:
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

It's not as much of an issue when standing up but sitting down the Les Paul doesn't sit very well, it's not balanced and the curve isn't in the right spot.
    No, I play both standing and sitting and a Les Paul body shape is perfect for both. It’s the steep neck angle that’s the problem on some of them when you’re sitting.
    I’d disagree about it being “perfect” for sitting to be fair. It’s fine but the body curve being further towards the headstock tends to concentrate weight off the right side of the thigh. It’s not as well balanced as a Strat or tele that way. That’s a pretty widely held viewpoint.
    That's exactly it, an LP just feels like it wants to slide down to the right and I have to hold it back from doing so but a Strat just feels like it's balanced.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Jalapeno said:
    thegummy said:

ergonomic ?

Aye ergonomic, phone must have auto changed it.

Strats are economically better as well of course but that's nothing to do with playing position!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72749
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:

That's exactly it, an LP just feels like it wants to slide down to the right and I have to hold it back from doing so but a Strat just feels like it's balanced.
    I've never found that at all unless they're ludicrously heavy.

A 335 on the other hand... they do do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4974
    I've got an SG and an LP Studio; I have to say I haven't bonded with either.
    I would like a Flying V and an Explorer.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    prowla said:
    As an aside, it was playing a Flying V seated with the “right thigh in the v” position that got me used to playing guitar standing up, as it encourages a similar guitar position seated, if that makes any sense.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 396
    Late to the party, a 335 guitar?......well that's my go to other than my Strat.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    prowla said:
    I'm sure you would. But that's GAS talking.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Sarge said:
    I had a epi nighthawk which was the most strat like gibsonesque guitar I've played, however it didn't last long as I'm too much of a tart to live with the garish purple hue :D
    I have a mate that would have loved the purple edition.

Mine is slightly more sober

That, sir, is quite lovely.