Sanding "Squire" off the headstock

What's Hot

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2810
    thegummy said:
    There's a bit of a parallel between this and reliccing.

Casual onlookers will think a relicced guitar really is old and a guitar with a fender decal is really a fender.

For the people who say they just like the look of relics and it's not about faking age and wear, what if someone says they just prefer the look of the fender logo?

I've always felt that reliccing is very rarely nothing to do with faking age and wear even if that's not the only reason people go for it.
    Why do you get so worked up about all this (obviously it's different if someone is deliberately setting out to deceive someone for whatever reason)?  I just prefer the look of the Fender logo - there you go, so what?  Snobbery, inverse snobbery - it's all the same.
    These things are supposed to be fun and enjoyable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Partscaster pride !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    skunkwerx said:
    I put a mercedes badge on my renault once.. 

But thats just funny, I mean, obviously not fooling anyone.. 
    So it was you that gave Mercedes that idea?
    I hope you negotiated a good licensing fee for that idea... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6763
    skunkwerx said:

It's dangerous to overestimate your audience's intelligence. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1708
    I know a guy who put a merc radiator grill and badge on a TATA pickup truck.he said it was a perfect fit .Just did it as a joke .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23235
    thegummy said:

Casual onlookers will think a relicced guitar really is old and a guitar with a fender decal is really a fender.

For the people who say they just like the look of relics and it's not about faking age and wear, what if someone says they just prefer the look of the fender logo?

I've always felt that reliccing is very rarely nothing to do with faking age and wear even if that's not the only reason people go for it.
    Without wanting to rehash the relic debate - no-one is ever going to change their mind one way or the other - I do prefer the look of a headstock with a logo.

I don't like the bare headstock look.  Partscasters are great but a Fender-style guitar looks weird without a Fender-style headstock logo.  I'm not a fan of the lookalike decals which say Fecker or Fneder or Finbarr or the owners' kids' names or whatever, so yes I might put a Fender decal on a partscaster.  Not to pretend it's a Fender but to make it look right.

If I still owned any Squier guitars I'd be quite happy to leave the Squier logo, it looks fine as it is.  The old Tokai Springy Sound logos looked good too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    merlin said:
    skunkwerx said:

It's dangerous to overestimate your audience's intelligence. 
    Some people are oblivious.
    I know somebody who was singing the praises of how good his Merc Citan was. He went quiet when I asked if it was worth the extra few k to get a Merc badge put over the Renault badge.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4973
    edited March 2020
    Knock-off Fender logos are simply theft.

If you upbrand for your own vanity, then it's like playing a tennis racquet in front of your bedroom mirror.

If you upbrand and sell then you're a con-artist.

I have a de-branded Squier neck on another guitar, which I got it like that. (The guitar is a Variax whose neck had broken and been replaced with a rather cheap & nasty one, so I replaced it.

I've got a bass made from parts with a Mighty Mite (licensed) neck on it, but I have my own logo to put on that.

From a slightly light-hearted perspective, this is one I bought...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been mulling this for a while now. I'm in the middle of a Telecaster build - I'll have the headstock cut to the right shape. I wouldn't dream of putting a Fender logo on it, because it's not a Fender. 

I'm considering filling the space up with the seventies style telecaster logo (the blocky version). So it wouldn't say 'Fender Telecaster', just 'Telecaster'.

I think that's reasonable, isn't it? It kind of is a Telecaster, even though it's not a Fender. And it's not going to fool anyone with the Fender part missing. I just don't want to leave the space empty, and this seems the best thing to put there!
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    When I resprayed my Squier Precsion Special (including the headstock) I got Guitar Decals to make me a new one headstock decal. It still says Squier, but now it's in a nice, fancy gold which stands out against the purple metalflake paint job.

It's a good bass and I'm more than happy to let the world know it's a Squier.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16186
    I have a tele partscaster with a real Fender Baja neck which ,not unusually ,says Fender on it.
    Apparently I need to sand that real Fender logo off the guitar to advertise it for sale because it wasn't actually assembled by Fender .
    I'm tempted to sand it off and put a Gibson logo on it just for the belligerence and cussedness.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6763
    I've been mulling this for a while now. I'm in the middle of a Telecaster build - I'll have the headstock cut to the right shape. I wouldn't dream of putting a Fender logo on it, because it's not a Fender. 

I'm considering filling the space up with the seventies style telecaster logo (the blocky version). So it wouldn't say 'Fender Telecaster', just 'Telecaster'.

I think that's reasonable, isn't it? It kind of is a Telecaster, even though it's not a Fender. And it's not going to fool anyone with the Fender part missing. I just don't want to leave the space empty, and this seems the best thing to put there!
    Do not pass "GO", do not collect £200
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I think I like the mystery of seeing other folks blank headstocks, I won't add a logo to a blank neck and I certainly wouldn't remove one! 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Surely a Squier is a Fender? Like a Lexus is a Toyota.

The name is Squier, with it's mediaeval spelling, evoking the quintessential image of the country gentleman at leisure. Perhaps pootling around his estate in a Morgan Plus Four, a brace of  faithful Purdey shot guns nestling on the back seat snuggled up to the cherished Squier Affinity Telecaster.

Yes there is more to aspire to, contemplating owning a Squier. In fact we don't own the Squier, we are mere custodians of such a fine instrument in the service of future generations.  Only the fortunate cognoscenti understand that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    I have a tele partscaster with a real Fender Baja neck which ,not unusually ,says Fender on it.
    Apparently I need to sand that real Fender logo off the guitar to advertise it for sale because it wasn't actually assembled by Fender .
    I'm tempted to sand it off and put a Gibson logo on it just for the belligerence and cussedness.
    No you don't that's the original logo on the neck, as applied by the manufacturer.

I've got a Precision made from parts and its Fender logo is firmly planted on its neck. Just like the Status Graphite logo is on another one's.

My current project is a Fender MIM Strat body with a Fender MIM Strat neck; the logo stays there too!

However, I would not add a Fender logo to something that isn't, including up-branding a Squier (by Fender)...

edited March 2020
    mbe said:
    Surely a Squier is a Fender? Like a Lexus is a Toyota.

The name is Squier, with it's mediaeval spelling, evoking the quintessential image of the country gentleman at leisure. Perhaps pootling around his estate in a Morgan Plus Four, a brace of  faithful Purdey shot guns nestling on the back seat snuggled up to the cherished Squier Affinity Telecaster.

Yes there is more to aspire to, contemplating owning a Squier. In fact we don't own the Squier, we are mere custodians of such a fine instrument in the service of future generations.  Only the fortunate cognoscenti understand that.

Actually the name Squier is the family name of the company which Fender bought; it's a genuine name, neither contrived nor evocative.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    edited March 2020
    I've been mulling this for a while now. I'm in the middle of a Telecaster build - I'll have the headstock cut to the right shape. I wouldn't dream of putting a Fender logo on it, because it's not a Fender. 

Mine says:
    Jalapeno
    Custom Telecaster

Which it is ! 

Used the Fender font in homage
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627

I think in the interests of correctness you should 'T Type guitar' on it ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thebreeze said:
    thegummy said:

Why do you get so worked up about all this (obviously it's different if someone is deliberately setting out to deceive someone for whatever reason)?  I just prefer the look of the Fender logo - there you go, so what?  Snobbery, inverse snobbery - it's all the same.
    These things are supposed to be fun and enjoyable.
    Don't know what makes you think I'm getting worked up about it, it's not exactly making my blood boil.

It's not snobbery though; snobbery would be looking down on someone for having a Squier which I, of course, wouldn't do. It's when they doctor their Squier to pretend it's a Fender that I don't like because I don't believe it really is solely because they personally prefer the look, I believe they are trying to deceive people in to thinking it's made by Fender.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Philly_Q said:

If I still owned any Squier guitars I'd be quite happy to leave the Squier logo, it looks fine as it is.  The old Tokai Springy Sound logos looked good too.
    Only reason I brought up the reliccing thing is because for people who like relics but are against fake Fender logos, it gives them an example of how the reliccing thing is seen by the anti-relic crowd.
This discussion has been closed.