Sanding "Squire" off the headstock

What's Hot
skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
I am embarking on my partscaster rite of passage and combing YooToob I see a lot of "people" who say thing like "I'm not trying to hide the fact that it's a Squier" and then proceeding to sand off the logo and add "Fender" in its place. 

WTF?!

Has anyone here done this and if so please explain yourself?!!

I am not going in with a huge amount of cash considering the evil deeds I may do to these guitars, but I would not dream of removing the decals. My bastardised Squire hybrids will be proud mutants of the axe community. Buying a knockoff neck is different, but defacing seems silly. In an ideal world I would build a Mexi partscaster but for the time being a £60 showmaster will suffice. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sand off ‘Squire’, replace with ‘Fender’ decal and sell guitar at higher price to unsuspecting buyer. Many learner players wanting their first ‘real’ guitar are sadly conned by things like this. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    edited March 2020
    I did it with the neck I had because it's no longer a Squier, it wasn't worth much anyway and I like how a blank headstock looks on a parts strat. I didn't put a fender one on, don't see the point in that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I'd rather make a Squier look good than look like a prat embarrassed to be playing one. My Squier Bullet is perhaps one of the best purchases I've made in recent years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4269
    I like the look of a bare headstock too , it has that hot rod look about it ,
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Better tone, surely?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
    I have US Fenders but my CV Squier Precision is badass. Nothing wrong with Squiers.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    edited March 2020
    I have sanded a Squier logo off a headstock, but only because I accidentally took a big chunk of paint off the front of the headstock when tapping out the tuner bushings.

Then I sprayed it red to match the body.  I didn't put a Fender logo on it.

Found a picture - it was one like this, 24.75" scale.  I did all sorts of stuff to it - black hardware, two different Kahler tremolos, routed it for HSH and a side jack socket, painted it black.  I still have both the neck and body but the other parts are long gone.

Related image
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    I like this naked headstock vibe. If my reverse strat headstock on a tele beast makes sense then maybe I'll sand. Maybe. 

Probably. 

No-one likes a Showmaster. ;-)
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    just sand that shit off and be done with it 

• skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    Nikc said:
    just sand that shit off and be done with it 

FTW!!!

Well after I decide it kicks ass. I have a feeling that I am going to keep the original neck of the tele which means...it won't be a partscaster ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6819
    edited March 2020
    I love this and one day will stick a Welsh dragon decal all over it. Or just leave as is and play the bejesus out if it. 

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I hate that someone would replace it with a fake Fender decal.

They'll still know it's a Squier so they're only doing it to lie to other people. So pathetic.

Wonder if they buy shirts out of Next and sew on a Ralph Lauren logo too.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Brand snobbery is despicable in any form. It’s about how you can play, not what you’re playing. Just as I am not immediately impressed with someone just because they have a Rolex Watch, Nike trainers or a Faberge fecking Egg. 
    I don’t know what make of paint brushes Monet used and I couldn’t care less. I just enjoy the art.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Any guitar with 'Squire' on it will be fake. Same with 'Fendre'
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    They're all bits of tree............
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    CeeJay said:
    They're all bits of tree............
    So is my broom, but that isn't also not as well made a guitar as a fender (in most cases )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I can't live with the shame of owning a budget brand.
    I want people to think I'm rich and successful.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4737

Squier guitars are cool.  I’d be happy with one if the necks were a bit less slim.  But to make a good sound that’s all you really need.

But this is why Epiphone’s are even better, Les Paul Special with a 50’s neck, yes please!

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    There's a bit of a parallel between this and reliccing.

Casual onlookers will think a relicced guitar really is old and a guitar with a fender decal is really a fender.

For the people who say they just like the look of relics and it's not about faking age and wear, what if someone says they just prefer the look of the fender logo?

I've always felt that reliccing is very rarely nothing to do with faking age and wear even if that's not the only reason people go for it.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    I put a mercedes badge on my renault once.. 

But thats just funny, I mean, obviously not fooling anyone.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
This discussion has been closed.