Sanding "Squire" off the headstock

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:
    I have a tele partscaster with a real Fender Baja neck which ,not unusually ,says Fender on it.
    Apparently I need to sand that real Fender logo off the guitar to advertise it for sale because it wasn't actually assembled by Fender .
    I'm tempted to sand it off and put a Gibson logo on it just for the belligerence and cussedness.
    No you don't that's the original logo on the neck, as applied by the manufacturer.

I've got a Precision made from parts and its Fender logo is firmly planted on its neck. Just like the Status Graphite logo is on another one's.

My current project is a Fender MIM Strat body with a Fender MIM Strat neck; the logo stays there too!

However, I would not add a Fender logo to something that isn't, including up-branding a Squier (by Fender)...

TOTALLY WRONG APPARENTLY  - I TRIED TO ADVERTISE IT ON HERE 
    My ad was taken down and it was carefully and politely explained by mods that it cannot be advertised ( even tho' I was clearly explaining that it was a Partcaster with the benefit of a Fender Baja neck )
     Apparently because it was not "ASSEMBLED" by Fender.
    It's ridiculous......the neck is a component part and I was advertising it as a Partscaster with benefit of Fender neck .
     By the same token ;
    You cannot advertise your Fender Strat because it's got Seymour Duncan Pickups retro fitted ?
     Your Volkswagon Golf because its got a Motech Bodykit ?
     Your Berkeley Homes house because you fitted an Amdega Conservatory ?
    NONSENSE
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4984
    thegummy said:
    thebreeze said:
    thegummy said:
    There's a bit of a parallel between this and reliccing.

Casual onlookers will think a relicced guitar really is old and a guitar with a fender decal is really a fender.

For the people who say they just like the look of relics and it's not about faking age and wear, what if someone says they just prefer the look of the fender logo?

I've always felt that reliccing is very rarely nothing to do with faking age and wear even if that's not the only reason people go for it.
    Why do you get so worked up about all this (obviously it's different if someone is deliberately setting out to deceive someone for whatever reason)?  I just prefer the look of the Fender logo - there you go, so what?  Snobbery, inverse snobbery - it's all the same.
    These things are supposed to be fun and enjoyable.
    Don't know what makes you think I'm getting worked up about it, it's not exactly making my blood boil.

It's not snobbery though; snobbery would be looking down on someone for having a Squier which I, of course, wouldn't do. It's when they doctor their Squier to pretend it's a Fender that I don't like because I don't believe it really is solely because they personally prefer the look, I believe they are trying to deceive people in to thinking it's made by Fender.

In these internet days, you can't dislike something, you have to be a hater; you can't post an opposing comment, you have to be worked up about it, and so-on.

Like you, I think that up-branding is deceit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:
    I have a tele partscaster with a real Fender Baja neck which ,not unusually ,says Fender on it.
    Apparently I need to sand that real Fender logo off the guitar to advertise it for sale because it wasn't actually assembled by Fender .
    I'm tempted to sand it off and put a Gibson logo on it just for the belligerence and cussedness.
    No you don't that's the original logo on the neck, as applied by the manufacturer.

I've got a Precision made from parts and its Fender logo is firmly planted on its neck. Just like the Status Graphite logo is on another one's.

My current project is a Fender MIM Strat body with a Fender MIM Strat neck; the logo stays there too!

However, I would not add a Fender logo to something that isn't, including up-branding a Squier (by Fender)...

My ad was taken down and it was carefully and politely explained by mods that it cannot be advertised ( even tho' I was clearly explaining that it was a Partcaster with the benefit of a Fender Baja neck )
    It's ridiculous......the neck is a component part and I was advertising it as a Partscaster with benefit of Fender neck .
     By the same token ;
    You cannot advertise your Fender Strat because it's got Seymour Duncan Pickups retro fitted ?
    NONSENSE
    That is, with due respect to the mods, utter nonsense!

There is no way I would remove an original factory-applied Fender (or any other brand) logo from a part to satisfy some misplaced sense of ethical duty.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Dominic said:
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:

By the same token ;
    NONSENSE
    What was the title of your post on the selling forum?

If it said fender in the title I can understand it but if it just said partscaster for sale but one of the parts is fender branded then I don't understand, it would surely prevent a lot of partscasters from being sold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12284
    sgosden said:
    CeeJay said:
    They're all bits of tree............
    So is my broom, but that isn't also not as well made a guitar as a fender (in most cases )

Stands comparison with a Gibson though...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    edited March 2020
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:

By the same token ;
    NONSENSE

There is no way I would remove an original factory-applied Fender (or any other brand) logo from a part to satisfy some misplaced sense of ethical duty.

Actually, it's not nonsense; it's the law of the land, and it doesn't care about your opinion of it. Regardless of your thoughts on it, a guitar with a logo on it which could fool the average potential buyer into thinking it's an original instrument is considered counterfeit. It doesn't matter whether you're honest about it in your ad, because the next guy to sell it might not be. For a concrete example of this (albeit not with counterfeits), check out the thread on Essex Recording Studios' adverts on Reverb.

Allowing such sales puts both the forum and me personally at risk for facilitating the sale of counterfeits, so explain to me...why should I take that risk so somebody can get a few quid for their partscaster?

There are only two ways to legally sell such an instrument - either part it out (at which point each individual part is exactly what it claims to be) or remove the logo.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:

By the same token ;
    NONSENSE

Actually, it's not nonsense; it's the law of the land, and it doesn't care about your opinion of it. Regardless of your thoughts on it, a guitar with a logo on it which could fool the average potential buyer into thinking it's an original instrument is considered counterfeit. It doesn't matter whether you're honest about it in your ad, because the next guy to sell it might not be. For a concrete example of this (albeit not with counterfeits), check out the thread on Essex Recording Studios' adverts on Reverb.

Allowing such sales puts both the forum and me personally at risk for facilitating the sale of counterfeits, so explain to me...why should I take that risk so somebody can get a few quid for their partscaster?

There are only two ways to legally sell such an instrument - either part it out (at which point each individual part is exactly what it claims to be) or remove the logo.
    Can I just double check for the future (not planning on selling it but might one day): if a guitar has an American Fender neck and a Mexican Fender body, can that be sold on this forum or would that also have to be parted?

Cheers.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    edited March 2020
    thegummy said:

Can I just double check for the future (not planning on selling it but might one day): if a guitar has an American Fender neck and a Mexican Fender body, can that be sold on this forum or would that also have to be parted?

Cheers.
    Correct, it cannot be sold without parting it out (and you'd have to be a loon to remove the decals). Not just on this forum, but anywhere in the UK.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited March 2020
    So it's just necks and bodies? What about pickups, tuners, bridges, paint etc?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    I believe the neck and body - even though they can be separated - have to be the original pairing, as assembled by Fender.

Changes of pickups, hardware, refinishes (presumably without removing/replacing the decals) are OK because they're just upgrades (or updates?), it's still the same guitar.

So you wouldn't be able to sell Blackie or the Black Strat.

Is that about right?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I know the answer tbh. Just seems strange. 

It's totally up to the guys running the forum though. Their house, their rules. I'm OK with that.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    edited March 2020
    Can it be advertised as partscaster that is to be parted out and listed as a list of parts but the seller post pictures of the guitar as a whole. The ad contains a list of the individual parts - with logos intact - that may or may not add up to the amount the seller was thinking they might sell it for as a whole. Then if a user requests, the parts could all be bought and even shipped assembled. 
    This comply with the law?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    I'm concerned about my strat now
    once when adjusting the truss rod the luthier removed the neck and subsequently put it back together !
    Obviously this is no longer "assembled by Fender " 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:
    prowla said:
    Dominic said:

By the same token ;
    NONSENSE

Can you show a link to the specific law of the land which states that the component parts of an instrument are not allowed to contain their original manufacturer's logo and you must therefore remove it?

I am 100% with you regarding honesty, up-branding, the picture forming part of the description, saying nudge-nude wink-wing, "cheeky logo", and so on is counterfeiting, but the original logo on a Fender neck is not counterfeiting.

As far as the next person selling it on as if it were all original, then they are the ones who are breaking the law at that point in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2020
    As I mentioned, I have a Frankenstein P-bass with a Status Graphite neck and other parts and there would be no implication that the whole thing was a Status were I to sell it!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A parts caster with a fender neck would probably sell for more as parts cause fewer people will want your creation than would want just a fender neck.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2816
    prowla said:
    thegummy said:
    thebreeze said:
    thegummy said:

Casual onlookers will think a relicced guitar really is old and a guitar with a fender decal is really a fender.

For the people who say they just like the look of relics and it's not about faking age and wear, what if someone says they just prefer the look of the fender logo?

I've always felt that reliccing is very rarely nothing to do with faking age and wear even if that's not the only reason people go for it.
    Why do you get so worked up about all this (obviously it's different if someone is deliberately setting out to deceive someone for whatever reason)?  I just prefer the look of the Fender logo - there you go, so what?  Snobbery, inverse snobbery - it's all the same.
    Don't know what makes you think I'm getting worked up about it, it's not exactly making my blood boil.

It's not snobbery though; snobbery would be looking down on someone for having a Squier which I, of course, wouldn't do. It's when they doctor their Squier to pretend it's a Fender that I don't like because I don't believe it really is solely because they personally prefer the look, I believe they are trying to deceive people in to thinking it's made by Fender.

In these internet days, you can't dislike something, you have to be a hater; you can't post an opposing comment, you have to be worked up about it, and so-on.

It's got nothing to do with what you say in your first sentence, which is obviously something you think/feel, but that has nothing to do with what I say.  I'm trying to be clear here because I think you're trying to fuel a difference which doesn't exist.  Which is also ironic because that's very much what seems to happen "in these internet days". 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4269
    I seem to recall a thread on here where in the past a guy had wanted a certain strat with a certain neck/fingerboard  (maple not rosewood etc ) and the dealer said ,we’ll just swap it round with another in the shop . Can’t remember the post though . I imagine this event would have taken place in the 80s or something though 
    thebreeze said:
    prowla said:
    thegummy said:
    thebreeze said:
    thegummy said:

It's got nothing to do with what you say in your first sentence, which is obviously something you think/feel, but that has nothing to do with what I say.  I'm trying to be clear here because I think you're trying to fuel a difference which doesn't exist.  Which is also ironic because that's very much what seems to happen "in these internet days". 

Why do you get so worked up about all this?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I seem to recall a thread on here where in the past a guy had wanted a certain strat with a certain neck/fingerboard  (maple not rosewood etc ) and the dealer said ,we’ll just swap it round with another in the shop . Can’t remember the post though . I imagine this event would have taken place in the 80s or something though 

I remember that one.
This discussion has been closed.