New Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 2020
    Snap said:
    Oh this looks like a steal, anyone else agree? Causing me a major gas itch, I don't have anything with P90s, and this is giving me trouble of the wallet bothering variety...…..

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-TV-Yellow/399R?origin=product-ads
    Thought I'd show the pic for you!  It does look very nice and aesthetically I much prefer the SC LP shape to the DC but the advantage of the DC is that it's easier to play on the higher frets. As I don't have a full P90 guitar (my Yamaha 611 VFM Pacifica has an SD HB bridge and SD P90 in the neck only) this is definitely something I'd like to try.  

Personally, I'd never get this as a DC version - as for me it just kills it and it's no longer a LP - but of course everyone has different tastes, which is exactly why there are DC versions.  But if you want a DC for easy upper fret access it's hard to do a lot better than an SG and if you like P90's and can't stretch to a Gibson, this is very nice too at £329.  Again, some love and others hate an SG shape, but it's still an iconic shape and although I only came to SG's very late, my 2006 SG Standard is one of my favourite and most comfortable guitars (especially since I upgraded the stock Deluxe tuners with Grover Rotomatics). It's also very light and sounds very airy.  A very good friend of mine picked up a Gibson SG with P90's and he loves it. Due to Covid19 we haven't been able to get together but I'm itching to try it when we eventually do!

And as for single pup guitars, I know these have their fans. However, whilst I understand the arguments for these eg simplicity, less magnet pull, lighter weight, and the tonal differences, generally I find them too tonally restrictive and I do like neck pickup and dual pickup options.  The only single pickup guitar that I did quite like when I tried a vintage one about 35 years ago was a Fender Esquire and what surprised me at the time was that the selector switch actually gave some useful tonal variations.  But it still isn't something I'd buy - and I don't like their aesthetics as I find single pickup guitars a bit too 'naked' and always to me look like they are 'unbalanced' and there should be something filling that gap - but again I appreciate there are those that really like that look. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    I've always wondered, how much difference is there tonally between an SG with P90s and a Les Paul Special? It doesn't really seem like there should be much. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    What draws me to the new Epi is the improved spec and quality over previous Epis. The pups in particular look really good, and the reviews I've read so far are superb.
    Stock - all on preorder at moment, I don't think it is planned, COVID notwithstanding, until May anyway, though could be wrong.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3458
    Guy, what LP is the guy playin in this?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The Epi LP Special got me gassing too, to the point where I thought fuck it and went straight for the Gibbo- it’s a very sweet guitar.

https://i.imgur.com/EnNwDNE.jpg

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3458
    robgilmo said:
    Guy, what LP is the guy playin in this?

Its not a Studio is it guys?
    https://reverb.com/item/5696230-gibson-les-paul-studio-rare-satin-tv-yellow-mint-burstbucker-pu-50s-profile-1459

Thats a very attractive guitar.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    dindude said:
    The Epi LP Special got me gassing too, to the point where I thought fuck it and went straight for the Gibbo- it’s a very sweet guitar.

@dindude have a wow from me, I’ve been gassing for one for a while but couldn’t afford the Gibson. How does it play/sound and feel weight wise? Is it what you were expecting, I’m very jealous!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    zepp76 said:
    dindude said:

@dindude have a wow from me, I’ve been gassing for one for a while but couldn’t afford the Gibson. How does it play/sound and feel weight wise? Is it what you were expecting, I’m very jealous!
    Wowed as well. I love those slab bodies. That looks really nice man
    zepp76 said:
    dindude said:

I bought from Peach and you get to choose the serial number and associated weight, so this one is 7lbs 5oz, perfect IMO. Love the chunky neck, plays lovely, and most of all it sounds utterly wonderful. The build is mostly great with a few Gibson “turn-a-blind-eye” things that shouldn’t be there. Stays in tune better than any Gibson I’ve ever owned before. All in all a definite keeper, the most guitar you can get for little over a grand I reckon.

Did a short run through in this vid.

https://youtu.be/XoFHtOOYt4U

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    zepp76 said:
    dindude said:

I bought from Peach and you get to choose the serial number and associated weight, so this one is 7lbs 5oz, perfect IMO. Love the chunky neck, plays lovely, and most of all it sounds utterly wonderful. The build is mostly great with a few Gibson “turn-a-blind-eye” things that shouldn’t be there. Stays in tune better than any Gibson I’ve ever owned before. All in all a definite keeper, the most guitar you can get for little over a grand I reckon.

It sounds lovely, it’s got that typical P90 growl. I’m hoping the Epiphone version also has a chunky neck as I have rather large hands! What were you playing through? It sounded superb.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Something I was wondering about these - is the clunky looking neck join uncomfortable when you play up there or not really noticeable? Feel like that's something I may get annoyed with if that little ridge catches your hand when you move up there.

sounds awesome @dindude - the tone suits the playing really well.
    zepp76 said:
    dindude said:
    zepp76 said:
    dindude said:

It sounds lovely, it’s got that typical P90 growl. I’m hoping the Epiphone version also has a chunky neck as I have rather large hands! What were you playing through? It sounded superb.
    Carr Rambler, pedals will have been various combinations of EHX Soul Food, JHS Morning Glory, JRAD The Dude. Trem at start was from the amp. Recorded through UA OX with reverb and delay at the end coming from that.

TTBZ said:
    Something I was wondering about these - is the clunky looking neck join uncomfortable when you play up there or not really noticeable? Feel like that's something I may get annoyed with if that little ridge catches your hand when you move up there.

sounds awesome @dindude - the tone suits the playing really well.
    I’ve always found Les Paul’s to be an ergonomic mess tbh, usually a Fender man. I got over it for this guitar, embrace what it is and after a few weeks I can switch between this and a Strat no problem. Upper access isn’t as good whichever way you cut it though.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I know Les Pauls are pretty terrible for that anyway but usually the neck heel doesn't have that bit sticking out the side where the neck enters the body, just wondered if it made much of a difference.
    Ah I see, haven’t noticed it to be honest, doesn’t get in the way for me. 
    nice gas, v nice.
    The epi has a thick neck, 50s style, as opposed to the slim taper you get on the SG and the 60s LPs (a profile i really like tbh). Also has a 12" radius, perfect.
    Pre ordered. So, once arrived will post a review, though who knows when that could be?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited April 2020
    Snap said:
    Pre ordered. So, once arrived will post a review, though who knows when that could be?
    Awesome let us know when it lands!

TTBZ said:
    I know Les Pauls are pretty terrible for that anyway but usually the neck heel doesn't have that bit sticking out the side where the neck enters the body, just wondered if it made much of a difference.
    The specials and juniors are thinner because they don't have a maple cap, so I think it's not so much of a reach into the cutaway? That's how it feels on my uncle's 1997 special. Could be the skinny neck but
    edited May 2020
    It has landed.
    Verdict - unbelievably good. Really.

Build quality is lovely, nice neck, stock strings a bit crap. Setup out of the box is fine. Only thing I don't like are the tuners which feel a little small. That could be cos I am used to my PRS and Gibbo which in tuner dept are ace.

Play, feel - nice and easy, like the neck which fills the palm comfortably. Neck is nicely bound.
    Quite light, much lighter than my LP std.

Sound - wow. Just wow. Bridge has a real clarity to it, rings nicely and puts out a lot of gain when cranked, but cleans up very well when you roll the vol back. Both pup setting is nice and open, full but not mucky. Neck pup is loud, and a very much a classic P90 sound. Lots of sustain, open ringing tone throughout.

tone controls are a little all or nothing, but tbh I have them on 10 for every guitar I have. 

All in, I can't believe the quality of this for the money. It's in a different league to the Epi LP std I had about 20 years ago. Perfectly good enough to be your main guitar IMO. Lets see how I feel about it when I've lived with it a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    It has landed.
    Verdict - unbelievably good. Really.

Build quality is lovely, nice neck, stock strings a bit crap. Setup out of the box is fine. Only thing I don't like are the tuners which feel a little small. That could be cos I am used to my PRS and Gibbo which in tuner dept are ace.

Play, feel - nice and easy, like the neck which fills the palm comfortably. Neck is nicely bound.
    Quite light, much lighter than my LP std.

Sound - wow. Just wow. Bridge has a real clarity to it, rings nicely and puts out a lot of gain when cranked, but cleans up very well when you roll the vol back. Both pup setting is nice and open, full but not mucky. Neck pup is loud, and a very much a classic P90 sound. Lots of sustain, open ringing tone throughout.

tone controls are a little all or nothing, but tbh I have them on 10 for every guitar I have. 

All in, I can't believe the quality of this for the money. It's in a different league to the Epi LP std I had about 20 years ago. Perfectly good enough to be your main guitar IMO. Lets see how I feel about it when I've lived with it a bit.
    Thank you for posting this, it sounds like it’s a quality guitar. I have a severe conundrum now, the Epi LP Special TV yellow or the Yamaha 611vfm? I have a lot of thinking to do (and a bit more saving!)