Will the classifieds have to be suspended?

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10374
    paulnb57 said:
    The virus survives for different periods on different materials, we open mail wearing disposable gloves, if its a parcel we wipe the whole thing down with diluted bleach on a cloth, on the doorstep, then bring it in and wipe down door handles etc, depending whats inside gets a wipe down...it may be considered overkill, but we are giving ourselves our best shot....
    We took delivery of a new smart tv yesterday, gloves on wipe the packaging down remove gloves and dispose, the tv will have been in the box for a considerable time, so we unwrapped it, set up etc
    If it were a used item that had recently been packed (a guitar?) I would do the same but after unwrapping would wipe down the whole guitar then wipe down the surface it was unwrapped on, ok strings might get damp, but so what, I’d probably change them anyway and oil the fretboard if required.....

Like I say, it may be overkill......
    4 weeks ago I'd have said you were mental. But in the current circumstances I'd have to stay you are spot on. Lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2238
    Zoolooter said:
    Does anyone really need another pedal at the moment.
    More than ever with all this extra free time 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27824
    Police force is stripped to the bone... enforcement is likely to only be in built up areas and after hours IMO. 

That’s not really the point.

It’s not really about whether you can get away with it etc but the underlying reason of slowing the spread of covid19 as best as possible to not overwhelm the NHS.

Please follow the Govt guidance.
    I feel like quoting this post on every page of every thread across the forum.

We've all just been given 21 days.    Those who are WFH have just been given 21 days of no-commute.

If you want to binge watch, binge read, binge listen, binge decorate, or even (as if!) binge play your guitars, you've just been given the time to do it.

This is a once-in-a-many-generations  situation.  You can look at the negatives and moan.  Or you can look at the positives and make the most of it. 

Either way, you owe it to yourself, your family (including future generations), your friends (including those you've not met yet) and everyone else in the world, to follow the spirit of the guidance and not to wait for the letter of the law to be enforced.

Actually, it's the people who've not been given 21 days that I feel for.  Those who are still travelling to work (on crammed tubes), those who are running their arses off in hospitals knowing full-well the risk to their own health, those who are frantically working to provide equipment or to research vaccines.  Those people are stressed out and going well beyond what anyone should reasonably ask them to do.

You've got 21 days to sit at home.

Stay well.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited March 2020
    Fishboy7 said:
    Zoolooter said:
    Does anyone really need another pedal at the moment.
    More than ever with all this extra free time 
    Yeah I get where your coming from as I see the available time to rearrange my board. However, others are right in saying time is probably better spent practicing etc  

It is nice to have a new toy to play with though but in this situation I think it could wait. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    when i bought my 52 rei from GAK.They ordered it in from the us. I got it delivered and took the case out the box. On the case was a cardboard tag on which said do not open for x ammount of time i cant recall exactly it was 2006. I do remember going nuts trying not to open the Guitar case, I lasted about 1 hr .
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    You can get PF to pick up from your house anyway so no need to go to PO with a guitar. Likewise pedals, keyboards etc. 

If your worried about parcels being contaminated put them in the sun for a few hours, I have 3 in the sun at the moment the UV will dismantle the virus microbe 

As someone said the classifieds will help free lancers and the self employed pay their bills and those who can afford it WILL pick up some gear for way less than usual, as we will be keen to sell it as quickly as possible. 

So keep it open I say as this is a musicians forum and keeping it open WILL benefit us musicians when we really need it 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd guess that the latest government advice won't be strongly policed (resources) so lots of idiots will ignore it (if this weekends shenanigans are anything to go by), including meeting face to face to do trades/ deals/ non-essential travel etc. Pathetic really, as the only real chance to manage a pandemic is to lockdown properly in the early stages. It's counterintuitive when you don't yet know anyone who has been affected, but it is the only effective means of control. If you still don't understand how pandemics rapidly become unmanageable at least watch this video: https://www.realclearscience.com/video/2020/03/19/the_paradox_of_pandemics.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    @HarrySeven will be climbing the walls! 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I bought a bass on ebay last Monday and seller didn't post until Thursday. Parcelforce 48 hour service meant I didn't get it until yesterday. Now normally I would be impatient but I figured that it's probably the best scenario. Quarantined in the Parcelforce depot over the weekend meant four days had elapsed after seller packed it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Danny1969 said:
    You can get PF to pick up from your house anyway so no need to go to PO with a guitar. Likewise pedals, keyboards etc. 

If your worried about parcels being contaminated put them in the sun for a few hours, I have 3 in the sun at the moment the UV will dismantle the virus microbe 

As someone said the classifieds will help free lancers and the self employed pay their bills and those who can afford it WILL pick up some gear for way less than usual, as we will be keen to sell it as quickly as possible. 

So keep it open I say as this is a musicians forum and keeping it open WILL benefit us musicians when we really need it 

I have a guitar coming today from Parcel Force but i am in work all week as is my Mrs. PF will want a signature so i think i will have to go to the post office to collect..ffs I had my works address down for delivery but changed it in case we closed ....
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    There's an epiphone near me for a really good price but with my sensible hat on I'm not even entertaining it, even though I really want it. I implore others to do the same
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I sure hope the classifieds are still up. It's my 22nd today and I have lots of things I want to spend my birthday quids on.

Happy birthday!
    Tenebrous said:
    I sure hope the classifieds are still up. It's my 22nd today and I have lots of things I want to spend my birthday quids on.

Happy birthday!
    Well at least you’ll get to see your 23rd if you abide by the rules. 

Happy birthday too :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    King85 said:
    There's an epiphone near me for a really good price but with my sensible hat on I'm not even entertaining it, even though I really want it. I implore others to do the same
    That sounds like a killer deal. :#
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mbe said:
    King85 said:
    That sounds like a killer deal. :#
    Ha ha. I guess you’ll be here all week? Lol 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1545

A genuine question, that I am not convinced I know the answer to. And I am certainly not advocating the manipulation of restrictions or getting away from the spirit of them,

In principle, is it really any worse meeting somebody to exchange gear for cash/electronic transfer than it is to utilise a courier? How many people come into contact with a couriered package that aren't the buyer/seller? There is the driver at each end, and at least one person centrally. That is at least 3 more people in contact, and these 3 people will be in contact with *many* different packages, and thus act as a perfect conduit for viral transmission/dissemination.

If it was a simple Person A takes single journey, avoiding any other interaction, to Person B, in order to make an exchange, then the risk of infective transmission would be considerably less.

Obviously, this only assumes that an exchange is to be made in the first place.

Adam

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10944
    tFB Trader
    Companies like mine are run by self employed people ... so far it appears impossible for us to get any help (the loan scheme is a sad joke) so if people don't buy our products ... there will be no more little guys when this is all over. Yes I'm in and working: building pickups ... in neoprene gloves and face mask so that if I am ill I don't contaminate the products.
    I really wish I could sit at home ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Kalimna said:

A genuine question, that I am not convinced I know the answer to. And I am certainly not advocating the manipulation of restrictions or getting away from the spirit of them,

In principle, is it really any worse meeting somebody to exchange gear for cash/electronic transfer than it is to utilise a courier? How many people come into contact with a couriered package that aren't the buyer/seller? There is the driver at each end, and at least one person centrally. That is at least 3 more people in contact, and these 3 people will be in contact with *many* different packages, and thus act as a perfect conduit for viral transmission/dissemination.

If it was a simple Person A takes single journey, avoiding any other interaction, to Person B, in order to make an exchange, then the risk of infective transmission would be considerably less.

Adam

You may touch something inadvertently too along the way though innocently so it’s probably just as risky imo
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Kalimna said:

Adam

No it's no better because its still an optional meeting the same as a courier would be, limiting any optional interaction is what the main aim of all this is.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1545

No, I get that, but *not using* a courier, and being strict in no interactions (I am assuming also the use of a car, and not walking), would lead to fewer interactions, and thus fewer opportunities to transfer viral particles.

The correct answer is not to buy in the first place.