20% off *everthing* at Guitar Village

What's Hot

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1989
    Does the Morello have an Original Floyd?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2230
    They are probably thinking they can buy it all back in 3 months at half price when no one has a job anymore. 

Sensible thing to do. No point them having cash tied up in stock, that no one will be buying, and best to do it early before the others do. 

Still don't think people are fully appreciating the financial impact this thing is going to have. Clearly the government is doing a good job of keeping consumer confidence up, which is amazing. 

Even with 5 years of living costs in cash at the moment and a fairly secure job, I won't be spending any of it until there is more clarity on the impact of this thing. The US hasn't even begun yet and they have a president who thinks it'll be over in a few weeks. We have the EUR on the brink of collapse as each EU nation is individually devaluing it with disjointed fiscal policies. Africa and Indian just warming up. We've not even seen a big bankruptcy yet. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1439
    Some decent buys there – 70th Anniversary Broadcaster for £1500 is one and a '52 CS Tele for £2300 is another – but buying a guitar is very low down on my list of current priorities. I'm self-employed, have some decent savings and still have some work, but fannying around at home whilst my wife is out working (for the NHS), it's hardly appropriate for me to be buying a new toy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5078
    crunchman said:
    allen said:
    Is this a bargain or not? 

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/gibson-custom-shop-1959-les-paul-standard-vos-psl-dirty-lemon

£3199

I may have just bought it, but now slightly worried.

That is a bargain.  You could probably get that back second hand.
    I would agree - many nice used R9's for a similar price and more 
    Looks lovely and that was a great price for a new one. The only issue I guess is what exactly they mean by “There is small amount of bubbling in the lacquer near the volume/tone pots.“ I couldn’t detect anything in the pics so it may be nothing. Hope you enjoy it!  :) 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Martin 00-17s black smoke acoustic down from £1649 to £1149, now just £919 in the Boss Gone Mad sale. That's a bargain for sure!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    The AO 70s Tele is a good deal too, those are brand new in this world... proper CuNiFe humbucker and everything. But like others, I have to be careful now for a while... :(
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11485
    edited March 2020
    Barnezy said:
    They are probably thinking they can buy it all back in 3 months at half price when no one has a job anymore. 

Sensible thing to do. No point them having cash tied up in stock, that no one will be buying, and best to do it early before the others do. 

Still don't think people are fully appreciating the financial impact this thing is going to have. Clearly the government is doing a good job of keeping consumer confidence up, which is amazing. 

Even with 5 years of living costs in cash at the moment and a fairly secure job, I won't be spending any of it until there is more clarity on the impact of this thing. The US hasn't even begun yet and they have a president who thinks it'll be over in a few weeks. We have the EUR on the brink of collapse as each EU nation is individually devaluing it with disjointed fiscal policies. Africa and Indian just warming up. We've not even seen a big bankruptcy yet. 

It might be over in a few weeks.  We don't know yet.  There was extensive testing in a town in Northern Italy, where 60% of positive tests had no symptoms.  I've seen reports of a similar proportion on the Diamond Princess.

If that's the case, then it is already a lot more widespread, and a lot less deadly, than the medical establishment is currently working on.  The Oxford University study that said that half the population could potentially already have had it is probably an outlier, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if 20% or more have had it already.  We'll know a lot more in a couple weeks when they have the antibody test.

Also, there are potential treatments.  For all the controversy over Trump's pushing of chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine, the French study on that did show very promising results.  It was only small scale, with 30 patients, but if that can be scaled up, it's a total game changer.  There are also other treatments being trialled, some of which have shown promising results so far.

There is more on this kind of stuff in the Coronavirus section of the forum, so I leave it at that and get back on topic.

If it is over in a few weeks, some of these things will be absolute bargains.  Unfortunately, none of the things I would be interested in buying are in stock.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1989
    Lot of coughing when you ring them up
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2230
    crunchman said:
    Barnezy said:

It might be over in a few weeks.  We don't know yet.  There was extensive testing in a town in Northern Italy, where 60% of positive tests had no symptoms.  I've seen reports of a similar proportion on the Diamond Princess.

If that's the case, then it is already a lot more widespread, and a lot less deadly, than the medical establishment is currently working on.  The Oxford University study that said that half the population could potentially already have had it is probably an outlier, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if 20% or more have had it already.  We'll know a lot more in a couple weeks when they have the antibody test.

Also, there are potential treatments.  For all the controversy over Trump's pushing of chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine, the French study on that did show very promising results.  It was only small scale, with 30 patients, but if that can be scaled up, it's a total game changer.  There are also other treatments being trialled, some of which have shown promising results so far.

There is more on this kind of stuff in the Coronavirus section of the forum, so I leave it at that and get back on topic.

If it is over in a few weeks, some of these things will be absolute bargains.  Unfortunately, none of the things I would be interested in buying are in stock.
    That would be pure speculation though. I'd use government responses as a guide. US $2.2trn in gov aid, UK $400bn, France $325bn, Germany $814bn, IMF ready to deploy $1trn, etc. Over $15trn wiped off global markets. IMF predicting "a recession at least as bad as during the financial crisis or worse". 

Fingers crossed Trump is right and this does end up being quicker than most think. The challenge isn't how quickly the US can get over this, but the entire world as we are all interconnected economically now. 

I personally dont think in 3 months time, many people will be kicking themselves for not buying a guitar at 20% off, but everyone has different priorities in life. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Warning signs from Singapore.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52045797
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2811
    crunchman said:
    allen said:

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/gibson-custom-shop-1959-les-paul-standard-vos-psl-dirty-lemon

£3199

I would agree - many nice used R9's for a similar price and more 
    I have to say that was the one that got my attention (I'm not buying anything at the moment though).  I don't want to be a kill-joy (and maybe Mark has an experienced view on it?) but why would a new R9 in one of (in my view the) most desirable finishes be left last in their stock and sold off cheaply?  Is there a fair chance that it didn't play as well as the others or something?  I suppose under the distance-selling regs you can always return it if it isn't right though.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    Barnezy said:

Fingers crossed Trump is right
    Well I suppose there's a first time for everything
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    allen said:

£3199

Only in a pre-virus world. I hope I'm wrong but the market is going to be awash with distress sale under the bed R59s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1708
    Got a feeling stuff is going to get a lot cheaper than 20% off before  this virus blows out .Smart money will hold on to it .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    If it was free postage offered I might've been interested.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4214
    edited March 2020
    Before this all started I'd been thinking about a Jackson KEXT Kelly; my brother has a natural wood one and is very impressed with it... I was looking at the gloss black.

Obviously that's on hold now, but I was looking at GAK today & the black one is no longer available and three natural wood models have gone up £30. Searching on Bing for KEXT gloss black gives all the major shops, but they're all showing it as discontinued or no longer available... not exactly sure what's happened there; it's hardly likely that people have bought them all, it's not that popular a shape?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• allenallen Frets: 724
    crunchman said:
    allen said:

£3199

Only in a pre-virus world. I hope I'm wrong but the market is going to be awash with distress sale under the bed R59s
    These 2 points are where I switch between. "Retail price got to second hand value so can't lose anything" vs "post virus second hand values will be down the toilet". Having said that, I don't need to get the cash back for a while so the balance of the judgment came down in favour of things settling back down after a couple of years.

Regarding the 'bubbling of the finish' - well, it's VOS right? and a bit of clear nail varnish might do the trick anyway.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14472
    tFB Trader
    allen said:
    crunchman said:
    allen said:

£3199

These 2 points are where I switch between. "Retail price got to second hand value so can't lose anything" vs "post virus second hand values will be down the toilet". Having said that, I don't need to get the cash back for a while so the balance of the judgment came down in favour of things settling back down after a couple of years.

Regarding the 'bubbling of the finish' - well, it's VOS right? and a bit of clear nail varnish might do the trick anyway.
    Look at it first and send pics as required - Assuming it plays well and sounds right, then one man's minor blemish will be another man's volcanic eruption - A player will create many more marks as time goes on - A case queen collector is generally more fussy about such issues - However, there is a neat trick that can be done, if required, with Supaglue, on a nitro finish - Subject to the size and problem of the blemish - But if done well it hides many many sins
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11960
    edited March 2020
    Actually I quite like this one....it has everything i want but the finish...

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/fender-vintera-60s-stratocaster-modified-olympic-white-pau-ferro.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom