Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    @Cookiemonster I ordered a bunch of mylar caps in common values in bags of 50 from China, and a big bag of mixed value resistors from Amazon I think. It works out maybe £10-15 cheaper per build when you have your own components. Sourcing them can be a hassle though and the postage can add up if you need to source from various suppliers
    Awesome any links at all.
    Can't remember, the caps were on eBay. Worth getting decade sets of polarised from bitsbox.co.uk too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    edited June 2020
    So having watched from a distance, I feel myself falling down the rabbit hole. First kit is now on order- Angry Andy from fuzz dog. I have grand plans for high quality graphics and paint so can anyone Provide advice or point me in The direction of any resources on painting (I don’t think I will be able to find a local powder coating co) would be much obliged- specifically what primer and clear coat sprays do you use for best results?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    @rsvmark ; One of us! One of us! 

I got the Sex Drive put together last night. I still have a mental note to swap in the proper cap at some point but no hurry. I *still* need to put labels on all these do I don’t forget what the knobs do...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    @stickyfiddle Now let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. There is excellent work on here, including that one you have just posted. While I have lofty aspirations, I reserve the right to swear a lot, get it wrong, burn myself and come up with an utter botch job that is so utterly embarrassing that I leave tfb in an embarrassing flounce. Be prepared.....;-)
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    rsvmark said:
    @stickyfiddle Now let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. There is excellent work on here, including that one you have just posted. While I have lofty aspirations, I reserve the right to swear a lot, get it wrong, burn myself and come up with an utter botch job that is so utterly embarrassing that I leave tfb in an embarrassing flounce. Be prepared.....;-)
    We all started somewhere. I have some pedals that work but are utter shite inside. I have others that I made such a hash of I couldn’t even diagnose, never mind fix, and they ended up in the bin. 

Start small and go from there - and we’ll be happy to assist with any questions or problems :)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Couple of things about the WS decal paper...it's quite thick (compared to the airfix ones) and has a noticeable edge so what I would usually do is highlight the edge and try to make it look like it's been done on purpose. If that makes any sense? Also it's not particularly hard wearing and will lift eventually so a clear coat on top helps a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just want to say Jed's Peds are awesome kits, and have a great Facebook support group. 

Thankfully the fuzz I built was fairly smooth except my own silly mistakes, it was the wiring that I found the hardest.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    What price do these pedal kits sell for ?
  • On Jed's page. There is a beginner section and price is around 30 for the full kit

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    Mudcrutch said:
    What price do these pedal kits sell for ?
    Very much depends on what you want.

You won't get a great deal of choice with a budget of less than £30-40, but some of the bigger kits featured on this thread can be comfortably over £100, not counting the cost of paints or fancy knobs, which can be quite pricey by themselves.

For that sort of cash you're talking about things that require either a *lot* of components, or very high quality and/or difficult to find parts, and/or vintage "new old stock" parts that need to be tested for suitability by someone who knows what they're doing.

But there's a huge range of complexity inside different pedals.

For instance, here's the BYOC Stereo Flanger:

BYOC Stereo Analog Flanger Pedal New ASSEMBLED With v3208 Upgrade

On the other hand, here's someone's stripboard build of an Emerson EM Drive:

Guitar FX Layouts Emerson Custom Guitars Em-Drive

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited June 2020
    Yup - what @english_bob says. The Fuzzdog KOT kit I built was about GBP 100 for everything except the knobs and bigger LEDs with bezels, and the Quaverato was around the $100-mark including knobs iirc.

Those are about the most expensive I've seen other than the Ceriatone Centura, where you're paying for the fancy case more than anything. 

If you're starting out it's a good idea to try something fairly simple - anything with just 1 knob is usually a good bet. Bigger kits aren't any harder to build - either way you have a bunch of parts to sort and install correctly then a load of soldering to do. But can be harder to diagnose if they don't work simply because more parts means increased odds of doing something wrong and more things to check if it aint' working! 

• At the moment I am very much a beginner. So sticking to starter pedals and have a SHO next to do. However would like to try a Trem if I can find a fairly simple one

edited June 2020
    anything with just 1 knob is usually a good bet. 

Except if it's a phaser wink 

Those are about the most expensive I've seen other than the Ceriatone Centura, where you're paying for the fancy case more than anything. 

BYOC make a few that are £100+, but they're all fairly complex builds- flanger, analogue vibrato, programmable 8-way looper(!). 

At the moment I am very much a beginner. So sticking to starter pedals and have a SHO next to do. However would like to try a Trem if I can find a fairly simple one

I built the circuit Fuzzdog sells as the Throb tremolo on stripboard. Definitely a step up from the SHO in terms of the number of parts but still not too complicated, and you end up with a nice amp style tremolo with two switchable speed ranges. (don't worry too much about the parts count- just takes a bit longer to build, and requires a bit more organization when you first sort your parts).

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Throb_Tremolo/p847124_9404696.aspx

Won't do anything all that crazy though. For that there's the Vox Repeat Percussion, which is also reasonably simple.

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Repeater_-_Vox_Repeat_Percussion/p847124_9673280.aspx

• At the moment I am very much a beginner. So sticking to starter pedals and have a SHO next to do. However would like to try a Trem if I can find a fairly simple one

I built the circuit Fuzzdog sells as the Throb tremolo on stripboard. Definitely a step up from the SHO in terms of the number of parts but still not too complicated, and you end up with a nice amp style tremolo with two switchable speed ranges. (don't worry too much about the parts count- just takes a bit longer to build, and requires a bit more organization when you first sort your parts).

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Throb_Tremolo/p847124_9404696.aspx

Won't do anything all that crazy though. For that there's the Vox Repeat Percussion, which is also reasonably simple.

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Repeater_-_Vox_Repeat_Percussion/p847124_9673280.aspx

Would like to make the repeater

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Did the primer yesterday and the colour just now. It's got some crud stuck to it from being outside but hopefully it'll pick off when dry. I saved a little bit of paint for touch ups, took just about a whole can to do this

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I have built 2 Fuzzdog noisy crickets, first one was first attempt at building from a kit, couldn't believe how well it worked, so got another one to try and make it as neat as possible.
    Still couldn't believe how well no. 2 worked, and now my imagination has got the better of me.
    I want to squeeze a rangemaster type circuit, into the front of the noisy cricket, so you get a fully featured master volume amp in a 9v pedal, that just goes into a speaker cab.
    Further research showed me I wasn't the first with this idea, check out MYLK AMP on t'web.
    I managed to get a good deep soldering iron burn on my second build, which has only just healed--so proceed with caution.
    I recommend the Noisy cricket as a first kit, but a bit like crack, once you try it you can't go back.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    This thread inspired me to dip my toe in, first build the simplest one possible... Really enjoyed it, want more of a challenge next time. 

Fuzz Dog supplied, can't fault it except maybe put the 'things to check' at the beginning rather than the end. Serves me right for not reading it through first - I put the green LED in the wrong way around.

Paint job is my design with Posca Pens.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Glad to see this thread is inspiring some folks. Somewhat ironically I've just put a new board together and not included a single home-build. I might have to rectify that..