Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27006
    All done now, though I still need to work out how I like the dip switches and presence controls. I've gone blue LEDs but still have a clear red side/yellow side :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    All done now, though I still need to work out how I like the dip switches and presence controls. I've gone blue LEDs but still have a clear red side/yellow side :)

Looks fab mate, glad you got it sorted. It's usually something silly like that, and after soldering so many components too lol
    Yeah, absolutely. This builds gave me right headaches tbh. After a number of builds go 100% ok or just tiny issues, I managed to do multiple components wrong here - always simple stuff and I spotted it all quickly, but a bit annoying all the same. No matter - all done now. 

I still have 3x kits but despite having a couple of days off will stop for a little while (Sex Drive, EngThumb Comp and Rangemaster). What I do have is a couple of Gundam robot kits that I got in Japan and have been waiting for a spare moment to open up... 
    Yeah, absolutely. This builds gave me right headaches tbh. After a number of builds go 100% ok or just tiny issues, I managed to do multiple components wrong here - always simple stuff and I spotted it all quickly, but a bit annoying all the same. No matter - all done now. 

I still have 3x kits but despite having a couple of days off will stop for a little while (Sex Drive, EngThumb Comp and Rangemaster). What I do have is a couple of Gundam robot kits that I got in Japan and have been waiting for a spare moment to open up... 
    Awesome. You're in for a treat with the Rangemaster. Worth giving it a go with 10n on the input cap if you have the inclination (instead of 4n7), I prefer mine that way :-) Such a luxury to have all these classic circuits so readily accessible
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1134

Second lockdown build finished. Fuzz dog Ruckus. Daughterboard made it so much easier. Painted in the garage with some cans. Primer, random red and gold, then clear. I know it’s obvious to anyone that’s done it but PCB was a lot more pleasant to work with than vero. Wanna try a germanium fuzz next
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baggybillbaggybill Frets: 26
    edited June 2020
    Just finished a 1776 effects cardinal tremolo, had some vactrol trouble which wasn't appreciated since they're expensive but here it is

https://imgur.com/a/4Wy9I9v

Also  some one was asking about MIAB, I've built the box of rock from fuzzdog and it is awesome! Nearly identical to the one I owned if that helps, want to build the hype-r next
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A package from Germany. Fortin Zuul kit and a bonkers octave fuzz from Parasit. Also got the 1n5 cap I need to populate my Sunny T Extreme PCB from fuzzdog. So finally some stuff to be getting on with

Going to get some paint and decal paper before boxing up the Rangemasters (x2). And I am waiting for a particular type of 2 pole 6 way rotary to arrive from Tayda in the US so I can finish the Foxxton Woods

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 884
    edited June 2020
    First one and it works.( Although I tried before to build one and really didn't know what I was doing), but this time I bought the fuzz dog bazz fuzz and followed the instructions and it worked first time.

I think the biggest difference in building was the new soldering iron which has a narrow tip, totally changed everything.

It's really quiet as well, which surprised me.

Quick question I have a pot can I swap out the resistor and add the pot in. Will it do anything ?

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

First one and it works.( Although I tried before to build one and really didn't know what I was doing), but this time I bought the fuzz dog bazz fuzz and followed the instructions and it worked first time.

I think the biggest difference in building was the new soldering iron which has a narrow tip, totally changed everything.

Quick question I have a pot can I swap out the resistor and add the pot in. Will it do anything ?
    Is that the 100k R1 resistor? I think it's to bias the transistor but honestly apart from a limited understanding of signal processing my understanding of electronics is sub-basic http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/Bazz-V4.pdf

It's a great circuit that. The Meathead is similar and not much more difficult to build, maybe a good second project

I've just ordered a bag of Russian 1N34A substitutions https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-100-pcs-D9J-D9ZH-9-Germanium-Detector-Diodes-New-NOS-Tested/313001117828
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I see 1776 Effects has re-opened for business. The Multiplex Echo Machine PCB is 15USD, but shipping is another 13.50USD. The import tax threshold to the UK is 15GBP, and iirc they include the shipping cost when applying this.

Has anyone bought a PCB from 1776 Effects, and if so, did you get stung for import duty and handling charges? @Adam_MD ?
    edited June 2020
    Durham Sex Drive today (Fuzzdog's " Libido Boost"). I must admit this one had me swearing. Quite a few niggles - none critical but every one very annoying. 

First, there was a cap missing and I didn't have an equivalent in the parts box - 330nF. Not a big deal, but irritating as I'm in Abu Dhabi so shipping takes *ages*. Rather than bother Lee with it and stall the build, I made up a kludge using 2x 1uF electrolytic that I did have (short ends soldered together, long ends into the PCB pads). That gives me ~500n which is near enough as it's only part of the tone circuit. You can see the big electros bent over in the middle of the PCB below.

Next... it came with battery connector but not TRS jack and the case is drilled for no battery. "No problem", says I, "the board is tiny so I can fit the battery above the switch without issues". Yes, I can. But the ribbon cable is in the way, so I ditched the battery idea. Then I find the ribbon cable is also too short (presumably because it was expecting the switch 1/2" nearer. I only worked that out after soldering the ribbon cable at both ends... SMH. 

So I spend a good half an our desoldering the ribbon cable and replacing with 4 individual wires that now go 2 each side, and right round the edges to make sure the battery has space in the middle. All good now. 

Then the white LED I wanted to use won't fit in the bezel. Swap for yellow - that won't fit either. I'm not sure where either came from but obviously they're fractionally bigger than 5mm. I eventually found a blue one that fits. All good. Again. Maybe...

But no, the 9V socket had a shit thread so its nut won't stay tight. So here we are, clamped in place waiting for some gorilla glue to set.

It's been a day... On the plus side it *does* sound pretty good...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oof @stickyfiddle sounds like a stressful afternoon. Well done for working around it all

I've been going slowly admittedly but work is busy and I am practicing guitar a lot. I drilled some holes last night and I plan to sand the enclosures and coat with primer in a bit. I've created a couple of decal designs and run them off on normal paper to check they fit. I only have a black and white printer unfortunately. There are another two enclosures to do on top of these

Cheers, yeah a bit stressful but got there in the end. The top end of the Tone control has a little bit of weirdness where it goes a little bit tinny but that’s just due to the wrong cap value, I assume. Everywhere else it sounds really nice (and the gorilla glue has set!) so I’m happy. 

Those cases look great - what’s the plan for them all?

I do wish I had the space for proper drilling & spraying options. I’ve already got a couple of big chips in the copper one I spent so much time over earlier in the thread..!
    Cheers, yeah a bit stressful but got there in the end. The top end of the Tone control has a little bit of weirdness where it goes a little bit tinny but that’s just due to the wrong cap value, I assume. Everywhere else it sounds really nice (and the gorilla glue has set!) so I’m happy. 

I do wish I had the space for proper drilling & spraying options. I’ve already got a couple of big chips in the copper one I spent so much time over earlier in the thread..!
    Maybe you can swap that cap in later

I've sanded the plain enclosures ready to take primer coats tomorrow. Never done anything like this so obviously I'm doing loads at once so I can mess up a whole batch haha. Started designing decals

These are the Foxxton Woods, Fuzz Factory, Zuul noise gate, and the modded Acapulco Gold from Fuzz Dog. Got two Rangemasters, an Eagle Claw from Parasit and a Meathead to box up too. Two of this batch are gifts for friends of mine, they will have personalised graphics :-)

• roberty said:

Is that the 100k R1 resistor? I think it's to bias the transistor but honestly apart from a limited understanding of signal processing my understanding of electronics is sub-basic http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/Bazz-V4.pdf

It's a great circuit that. The Meathead is similar and not much more difficult to build, maybe a good second project

I've just ordered a bag of Russian 1N34A substitutions https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-100-pcs-D9J-D9ZH-9-Germanium-Detector-Diodes-New-NOS-Tested/313001117828
    I really need to order some parts and save some money on buying the full kits. 
    Although for enclosures I would like to get the powder coated ones. I think @ThorpyFX ; used those on the ones he made before his own brand took over the world. 

Where do I find those at good prices.

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• roberty said:

I've sanded the plain enclosures ready to take primer coats tomorrow. Never done anything like this so obviously I'm doing loads at once so I can mess up a whole batch haha. Started designing decals

These are the Foxxton Woods, Fuzz Factory, Zuul noise gate, and the modded Acapulco Gold from Fuzz Dog. Got two Rangemasters, an Eagle Claw from Parasit and a Meathead to box up too. Two of this batch are gifts for friends of mine, they will have personalised graphics :-)

That looks great. I want to add a waterslide to mine, but need to read about the process. 

roberty said:

That looks great. I want to add a waterslide to mine, but need to read about the process. 

Not over until the fat lady sings

Saw this for applying decals: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=563808110667849&id=100011159946165

If the painting actually works I'll describe how I did it lol
    @Cookiemonster I ordered a bunch of mylar caps in common values in bags of 50 from China, and a big bag of mixed value resistors from Amazon I think. It works out maybe £10-15 cheaper per build when you have your own components. Sourcing them can be a hassle though and the postage can add up if you need to source from various suppliers
  • roberty said:
    @Cookiemonster I ordered a bunch of mylar caps in common values in bags of 50 from China, and a big bag of mixed value resistors from Amazon I think. It works out maybe £10-15 cheaper per build when you have your own components. Sourcing them can be a hassle though and the postage can add up if you need to source from various suppliers
    Awesome any links at all.

• roberty said:
    roberty said:

Not over until the fat lady sings

Saw this for applying decals: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=563808110667849&id=100011159946165

If the painting actually works I'll describe how I did it lol
    Looks good that. Thanks for the link