Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• Couple of things - the bottom end is huge. Some people (and bands) might disapprove. Also I had forgotten that Fran (from Frantone) was the designer of the NYC Big Muff at EHX in the 90s :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seem to recall that @icbm is a fan too. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10913
    Wow.

Turns out the Creme Puff is the Muff-a-like that's better than any muff I've ever tried. It's got way more bottom end, the fuzz goes from "mental to actually quite a lot less than mental" instead of "mental to more mental" like a Muff does and the tone control is really effective.

I've only played it for twenty minutes but I had a shit-eating huge grin the entire time. 

Build yourselves one chaps! 
    That does sound good. Lower component count than a standard muff too, looking at it :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Couple of things - the bottom end is huge. Some people (and bands) might disapprove

I certainly approve

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I have the problem that lots of builders end up with. I've now got about a dozen drive pedals that I really like, but putting them all on one board is stupid and swapping things in and out is a faff.

Need a solution to the revolving door problem... 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    I think I have the problem that lots of builders end up with. I've now got about a dozen drive pedals that I really like, but putting them all on one board is stupid and swapping things in and out is a faff.

I feel your pain!
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 887
    edited December 2021
    I think I have the problem that lots of builders end up with. I've now got about a dozen drive pedals that I really like, but putting them all on one board is stupid and swapping things in and out is a faff.

I agree, I was just thinking that this morning, I just revolve them around a bit. 

I just like building, I don't even box them all tbh. 
    I have a couple of draws now of different circuits, both pcb and Vero I need to box.
    Plus I have a bunch of PCBs to finish, but mostly I am using Vero at the moment. 

A friend runs a psych night with bands playing so thinking of making a few he can give you bands as gifts when they play. At least it means someone uses them. 

I did try to solve this issue a while back, by building reverbs,phasers, trems and delays, but I have a few of them now. 

I need to build a chorus and a flanger though. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• DeftDeft Frets: 31

I have a little Nano board I use for trying out/rotating drives, then just run that into a more permanent board (mostly modulation).
    Bigger problem is the growing realisation that most overdrives sound the same when you're not so invested (£££) in them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Deft said:

I have a little Nano board I use for trying out/rotating drives, then just run that into a more permanent board (mostly modulation).
    Bigger problem is the growing realisation that most overdrives sound the same when you're not so invested (£££) in them!
    Yes a lot do sound similar dont they.  or have similar building blocks, it's good to then built a couple of them in one box or mod. 

I see posts now where people discuss one version of a pedal against another, and often the same circuit, with more than likely the same values, so I find that interesting. 

At the moment I am building fuzz pedals that are fairly rare ones, so that's quite interesting. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Deft said:

I think I may do something similar.

There's definitely something in the "they all sound the same" thing too. Especially when you're ham fisted like me!

If I was gigging I would get by with two, I think. But for bedroom wankery having dozens is too easy :-(
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    Rehoused a Timmy clone from fuzzdog I built a while ago, much happier with it now. The klon bypass is a great addition. Gut shot from when it was first built.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    Alex2678 said:
    Rehoused a Timmy clone from fuzzdog I built a while ago, much happier with it now. The klon bypass is a great addition. Gut shot from when it was first built.

Love the cupcake knobs! The rest ain't too shabby either.
  • Nice I like the name badge is that a waterslide

• Yeah that looks great.

Haven't tried building a buffer into a pedal yet, I probably should... 
  • Whilst we're here, anyone got any good tips for dimming LEDs? 

Can't be faffed with changing resistors although that's clearly the right way. These are for DIY pedals so don't mind a bit of bodge. Masking tape? Something else? 
  • Yeah that looks great.

Haven't tried building a buffer into a pedal yet, I probably should... 
    I haven't either, I have a PCB from Otalgia, so might give it a go.

Nice I like the name badge is that a waterslide
    It’s a self adhesive engraved plate, made of plastic. If you search eBay for engraved label they’re only a few quid, they look to be intended for ‘shut off valve’ or ‘do not press’ type workplace signs, but there’s lots of colour combos 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whilst we're here, anyone got any good tips for dimming LEDs? 

Can't be faffed with changing resistors although that's clearly the right way. These are for DIY pedals so don't mind a bit of bodge. Masking tape? Something else? 
    Bodgiest I can think of is a sharpie 
    Whilst we're here, anyone got any good tips for dimming LEDs? 

Drip some candle wax on it
  • euaneuan Frets: 1593
    edited December 2021
    First of a series of Christmas. BC108 Sunface clone. It’s excellent everywhere but at full on fuzz where it’s brilliant but the noise/whine is too much and above the actual level. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom