Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6826
    Hi all,

Has anyone painted an enclosure with hammerite/rustoleum?

If so any tips? Did you use a primer? Did you paint or apply with a sponge etc? 

Thinking about doing my fuzz face enclosure racing green. Or maybe late 60s dark grey.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used spray on hammerite for some of my earliest pedal builds a few years ago.

It works, but it was a bit messy and a bit of a faff to avoid paint runs or getting dust stuck in the paint. If you're patient you can do it. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6826
    Trying to get this one as flawless as possible so I figured the spray is out. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10895
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:
    @Alex2678 that looks cool, how did you get the letters on there?
    Stamps, got some rubber stamps and a StazOn ink pad, works on metal and paint 
    Cool that sounds more fun than decal paper and Gimp. Could clear coat over the stamping. Hmmm
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1155
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:
    Cool that sounds more fun than decal paper and Gimp. Could clear coat over the stamping. Hmmm
    Doesn’t need any clear, I made a mistake and I had to remove it with isopropyl alcohol, a scouring pad and a lot of elbow grease, day to day use it’s not going anywhere 
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:
    Doesn’t need any clear, I made a mistake and I had to remove it with isopropyl alcohol, a scouring pad and a lot of elbow grease, day to day use it’s not going anywhere 
    Haha okay, even easier
    edited January 2022
    I made this for my bassist Phil a while ago. It's the Big Muff with clean blend control from Fuzz Dog. I went for the civil war circuit. The blend pot was spec'd as 100kA which gave it a very narrow sweet spot towards the end of its travel. I've just changed this to 100kB and It is much easier to use this way. I fucked up the decal and the top labels are too low down, never mind

My beloved Zuul clone randomly stopped working this week. It is sensing the key signal (as indicated by the two-tone LED) and it is passing signal through the gate section but it is not actually gating anything. I need a noise gate so I ordered a factory one. The clone was a real pain to put together physically inside the box but I will try to fix it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Love the name :D 

I need to test my new soldering iron. I think I have a rangemaster kit in the cupboard :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Built a ROG Supreau this evening. Another fuzzdog kit. This one was pretty fiddly, for some reason I really struggled to get the pots in place. 

• euaneuan Frets: 1517
    Are you fitting the posts to the enclosure first then soldering the board to them?
  • euan said:
    Are you fitting the posts to the enclosure first then soldering the board to them?
    I tend to do that, yes. For some reason this one was really tough. Didn't help that the pins for the volume pot were really tough to access once the other components were soldered. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    How do you find the pedal? Sounds like one of the more interesting JHSi in demos (probably because it's a ROG design..)

FWIW I usually add the pots outside the box, resting the pots in the holes from the outside to keep everything still while I solder. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I finished it late last night so didn't get to play it out loud, just a quick check via headphones to make sure it worked.

Will report back later. 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1155
    I usually solder one leg of each pot so it’s held in but there’s some play, reflow it when it’s in the enclosure, then do the rest
    Guess it's not lockdown any more. I haven't really noticed though. I boxed this up tonight, Partridge-themed Fuzz Dog Sunny T which is a tweakable Acapulco Gold. It's really good, does a fairly brutal fuzzy distortion and the EQ is really powerful

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How's the iron @stickyfiddle ?
  • roberty said:
    Guess it's not lockdown any more. I haven't really noticed though. I boxed this up tonight, Partridge-themed Fuzz Dog Sunny T which is a tweakable Acapulco Gold. It's really good, does a fairly brutal fuzzy distortion and the EQ is really powerful

Very nice.  

Just finished a delay and reverb In one and add a momentary switch for repeats. 

Will post soon. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

I think these plain enclosures look better with a touch of colour on them (knobs fnarr)

How does it do the reverb @Cookiemonster is it a brick or FV1? I guess we'll see
  • roberty said:
    I think these plain enclosures look better with a touch of colour on them (knobs fnarr)

How does it do the reverb @Cookiemonster is it a brick or FV1? I guess we'll see
    The delay is a EQD with a one knob simple reverb. FV1 is definitely on the list next though 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

edited March 2022
    @Cookiemonster I think Musikding do PCBs with pre-programmed SMD FV1s attached

edit: Jed's Peds do them