Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Wow are you soldering SMD @Cookiemonster? Looks great. Just checked the Fairfield prices... you can get two Hakkos for one of those!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    Wow are you soldering SMD @Cookiemonster? Looks great. Just checked the Fairfield prices... you can get two Hakkos for one of those!
    I know right. And I built this for what 20/30 pounds ?!  It's those smd convertors five cats makes. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    My Hakko is my favorite purchase in years 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

roberty said:
    My Hakko is my favorite purchase in years 
    Yeh I don't know what I'd do without mine now. I've build pedals, I made all my patch leads, rewired guitars, swapped dozens of pickups, wired up speaker cabinets. Very handy
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2323
    roberty said:
    I know right. And I built this for what 20/30 pounds ?!  It's those smd convertors five cats makes
    Tell us more!
  • Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    I know right. And I built this for what 20/30 pounds ?!  It's those smd convertors five cats makes
    Tell us more!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234036475158?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nnfmtmhes7c&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=r8k58PRST0e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2323
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    Tell us more!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234036475158?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nnfmtmhes7c&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=r8k58PRST0e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
    Cool, thanks!
    Keefy said:
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    Tell us more!
    Cool, thanks!
    That is cool. I got stung with some fake J201s off of ebay. Was only a couple of quid though
  • roberty said:
    Keefy said:
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    Tell us more!
    Cool, thanks!
    That is cool. I got stung with some fake J201s off of ebay. Was only a couple of quid though
    Yes I either look for different jfets now or buy these. You can get them pre soldered as well.

• I have been stung on germanium transistors. I have given up a bit on them. Prices are so high for anything with HFE ratings. And without that it's just guess work on what arrives. 

I have been stung on germanium transistors. I have given up a bit on them. Prices are so high for anything with HFE ratings. And without that it's just guess work on what arrives. 
    Yeah it's more hassle than it's worth to me as well. I'm happy to buy germanium fuzzes knowing what an absolute ballache it is to source the transistors. I think the only reliable way to get them was to bulk buy from Russia(!) and then test and sort them but that's not going to be happening for a while
  • On the subject of soldering, my TS100 is still doing a fabulous job. I just need to actually make some pedals whenever I get a spare minute or 60
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I've enjoyed making these last few. It's good to come back fresh

Decided on a theme for the Fulltone Mas Malo clone, I'll call it Mexicola and use day of the dead graphics. It was named after a Mexican restaurant so it's in keeping with the theme

• roberty said:
    I have been stung on germanium transistors. I have given up a bit on them. Prices are so high for anything with HFE ratings. And without that it's just guess work on what arrives. 
    Yeah it's more hassle than it's worth to me as well. I'm happy to buy germanium fuzzes knowing what an absolute ballache it is to source the transistors. I think the only reliable way to get them was to bulk buy from Russia(!) and then test and sort them but that's not going to be happening for a while
    I totally agree. I did buy a bunch and have a few high gain ones I will use to make a peppermint fuzz at some point. But add in all the faff with pnp and the inconsistency of the germs and I think I would prefer to make silicon fuzzes. 

• roberty said:

Decided on a theme for the Fulltone Mas Malo clone, I'll call it Mexicola and use day of the dead graphics. It was named after a Mexican restaurant so it's in keeping with the theme

That looks great. I will start using decals in the next few. I have just been having fun with ink stamps recently 

edited September 2022
    roberty said:

That looks great. I will start using decals in the next few. I have just been having fun with ink stamps recently 
    The only problem with using decals is I'm a bit tight fisted and want to print several designs onto one sheet. So in an effort to save money on decal paper I build three extra pedals instead :-)

I have loads of old kit builds that I am tidying up inside and adding graphics to. It's not as fun as building new ones, but it's worth doing because the standard of my work is higher now

I feel a bit bad about stealing art off the internet but I am not selling these pedals so I suppose it's okay. If I was making something with the intention of selling it I would pay an artist
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:

The only problem with using decals is I'm a bit tight fisted and want to print several designs onto one sheet. So in an effort to save money on decal paper I build three extra pedals instead :-)

I have loads of old kit builds that I am tidying up inside and adding graphics to. It's not as fun as building new ones, but it's worth doing because the standard of my work is higher now

I feel a bit bad about stealing art off the internet but I am not selling these pedals so I suppose it's okay. If I was making something with the intention of selling it I would pay an artist
    My partner was a fashion designer so she has just made me some artwork. Tempted to try the service from tayda to have them printed

roberty said:
    roberty said:

My partner was a fashion designer so she has just made me some artwork. Tempted to try the service from tayda to have them printed
    Someone in a DIY Pedals Facebook group has been getting printed enclosures from Gojira: https://gojira.co.uk/

A bit more local, Scotland. Their pedals are ace as well, worth a look
    Ah, yes: https://gojira.co.uk/uv-printing/
    We are now offering UV printing on our enclosures for pedal builders, with no minimum order.
    We use Hammond enclosures and stock sizes 1590B, 1590BB and 1590G, with powder coating in either white, black or pink.
    Please fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you with a quote.
  • roberty said:
    Ah, yes: https://gojira.co.uk/uv-printing/
    We are now offering UV printing on our enclosures for pedal builders, with no minimum order.
    We use Hammond enclosures and stock sizes 1590B, 1590BB and 1590G, with powder coating in either white, black or pink.
    Please fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you with a quote.
    I dropped them an email the other day. I need to check if they have returned back to me. Wondering if tayda are cheaper